Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Trusty_McLegit

Doom on ps4

I'm primarily a pc gamer, but I also own a ps4. I'm really excited to play the new doom, but my computer isn't powerful enough. Should I get it on ps4 or wait until I have a better computer? As someone coming from mouse and keyboard, are the ps4 controls bareable?

Since I wasn't enlightened about PC gaming until recently and had to buy the PS4 version, I gotta say that playing it on a PC would be better. I know there's a peripheral for the PS4 that works as mouse and keyboard but it's a bit pricey and I dunno if it's good. Depends on what you'll think is better and more profitable.

Personally I don't like that you can't make quick turns with a controller unless you adjust the sensitivity so high it becomes impossible to aim.

I'm not a fan of the PS four controller. I have the game on Xbox one in the controls are good.

Xbox1 has lower resolution (900p or even 720p) and I find their controllers awkward. I have Doom on PS4 and it looks great. Controls feel good.

it runs and looks fine on Xbox. I'm sure as with most games the difference is small at most. Possibly not even noticeable.

A lower resolution is not going to be that noticeable, especially when the game us running at 60 FPS
Texture popin I don't know, I have it on PC with a SSD and I see absolutely no texture popin like I did on the PS4 beta

I'm playing on a higher end PC, I got about halfway through and then switched to a controller (Dualshock 4). It may sound blasphemous, but I actually prefer playing this on a controller over keyboard + mouse. Even when I used keyboard I still only stuck to using the super shotgun and rocket launcher 90% of the time, and I can aim perfectly fine on a controller.
The controls are great, the only thing kinda wonky is that you click right stick to interact with doors or switches, but eh its not a big deal.

julz_d said:

it runs and looks fine on Xbox. I'm sure as with most games the difference is small at most. Possibly not even noticeable.

I felt it was incredibly noticeable when I saw a comparison video, but I'm not really dogmatic about consoles. I'm sure the experience is fine on X1. I can only speak for PS4 though.

Trusty_McLegit said:

I'm primarily a pc gamer, but I also own a ps4. I'm really excited to play the new doom, but my computer isn't powerful enough. Should I get it on ps4 or wait until I have a better computer? As someone coming from mouse and keyboard, are the ps4 controls bareable?

Wait and play it on PC, at max settings. ;)

wheresthebeef said:

A lower resolution is not going to be that noticeable, especially when the game us running at 60 FPS
Texture popin I don't know, I have it on PC with a SSD and I see absolutely no texture popin like I did on the PS4 beta

I'm playing on a higher end PC, I got about halfway through and then switched to a controller (Dualshock 4). It may sound blasphemous, but I actually prefer playing this on a controller over keyboard + mouse. Even when I used keyboard I still only stuck to using the super shotgun and rocket launcher 90% of the time, and I can aim perfectly fine on a controller.
The controls are great, the only thing kinda wonky is that you click right stick to interact with doors or switches, but eh its not a big deal.

That's not actually uncommon. I can't really do a lot of keyboard and mouse anymore for long periods of time without my wrists or hands cramping up.

You can buy a XIM4 and connect a keyboard and mouse to your PS4 or XBox One. I've heard good things about how it feels, but it does cost $125.

I find that the single player is fine with a controller, but in multiplayer you are disadvantaged by not being able to quickly look around for other players. I've found that i've had to rely on sound a lot more than I would on a PC.

berrrnard said:

You can buy a XIM4 and connect a keyboard and mouse to your PS4 or XBox One. I've heard good things about how it feels, but it does cost $125.

I find that the single player is fine with a controller, but in multiplayer you are disadvantaged by not being able to quickly look around for other players. I've found that i've had to rely on sound a lot more than I would on a PC.

With a controller on PC, I almost always wind up in the top 3 for the match :)

Trusty_McLegit said:

What is your rig? I have a Phenom II X4 (3 ghz) and 8 gigs of ram. The only upgrade I have to do is the gpu and power supply. Getting a 2 gb PowerColor Radeon R9 270 and a Corsair 750w power supply (the radeon requires 500 min. and I have 400 so I'm going UP). But other than that, a pretty inexpensive upgrade - and, unfortunately, as much as I can upgrade this particular pc. It used to be a triple core and is now a quad core. 8 gigs ram is the max the mobo can deal with and the gpu is a low end upgrade that should make the game play fairly well. It even plays with my Geforce GT 430 but not at a reasonable framerate

Thanks for all the replies guys. And as for my rig, I just have a Dell inspiron 17 5000 series. I'm hopefully going to build a decent rig after the summer though