Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Doom Won't Run! Can Someone Help?

I thought maybe it was a Ren and Stimpy reference, that might be too much credit.

Edward850 said:

No. Never.

I wouldn't say "never", I'm sure if you wait like five years or so you'll find some for that price.

Actually no, not with the higher end cards. For example the 600 series is already 4 years old and the 670 is still ~$400 NZD at a minimum. They don't typically drop in price much because the manufacturing cost is just too high.

With GPUs you do the opposite, look for a newer series at around mid range values. The new 1000 series with Pascal would be a good thing to keep an eye on in that regard. It wont be $50, but it sure wont be $500 either.

Antediluvia said:

Do you guys not see his name?

Low level troll guys, come on

Sure, whatever makes you happy.

Da Eediot said:

Sure, whatever makes you happy.

Da Eediot, could you try to find the rest of your system specs for me? If you can do that, I can try to help you upgrade your system as cheaply as possible.

Plasma Gun said:

Da Eediot, could you try to find the rest of your system specs for me? If you can do that, I can try to help you upgrade your system as cheaply as possible.

I'm not exactly sure where to look. I've never upgraded a computer's processor before. I'm not a troll, I'm just new to all this upgrading stuff.

This free program Mr. Chris mentioned seems legit:

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

But I'm thinking your machine is going to need a lot more than some simple graphics card upgrades to be capable of running the game. Is it some off-the-shelf model from a store? Those are mostly junky computers that are made with the cheapest components possible, including bad power supplies that won't be good enough to power upgrades. Regardless, we may need more information than this program can provide if you're really going through with it.

Da Eediot said:

I'm not exactly sure where to look. I've never upgraded a computer's processor before. I'm not a troll, I'm just new to all this upgrading stuff.

OK, so what I need you to do is to download HWInfo64 here:

http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Once you've installed it I need you to run it and take a screenshot of the System Summary that comes up and post it here.

From there, I will be able to help you.

HWInfo is a good tool, but no need to download 3rd party apps just to see specs. Just do start menu -> run -> "msinfo32"

You won't get gpu but I think it's safe to assume you'll need to buy a fresh one (if you want to see gpu model, control panel -> device manager -> display adapter)

Da Eediot said:

Why won't it? Have you tried it?

Basically it's not possible because you most likely do not have the hardware necessary to run Doom in the first place. So, when you do not possess the necessary hardware, no amount of software will help you. It would be like changing the paint in your Volkswagen beetle and wondering why it's not running like a Ferrari.

Da Eediot said:

Because if I can't then I think I'll probably return it.

You should probably return it, then. If you computer can't run it, it is due to the fact that it simply doesn't have the hardware capability to run the game. I wanted to see your hardware specifications so that I could figure out whether a simple graphics card upgrade would get you up to speed for the game.

However, if spending money to upgrade your computer just isn't in the cards right now, then I suggest you return the game.

If you decide that it's time for you to put together (or buy) a computer that can run Doom, feel free to post a thread here. I am happy to help you and there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here who can help you as well (as evidenced by my fairly successful System Upgrade thread).

Sorry you couldn't get the game running :(

Da Eediot said:

Because if I can't then I think I'll probably return it.

You cannot return PC games and software, especially since you've already registered it. This is why you're supposed to know what hardware is in your PC before you buy software for it (other than the bleeding obvious of knowing what you buy for the expressed reason of why you bought it).

If money is an issue, look on EBay or Newegg. You just have to know what your looking for. If that doesn't work out for you then grab a console. Even used. I hear the experience is actually quite good if you like the controller.

FLAW_88 said:

If money is an issue, look on EBay or Newegg. You just have to know what your looking for. If that doesn't work out for you then grab a console. Even used. I hear the experience is actually quite good if you like the controller.

I'll check Ebay and Newegg.

FLAW_88 said:

Best of luck man. Its a great game.

I found a few NVidia GTX 979 graphics cards on Ebay that range from $50 to $200. Two of the $50 ones rose in price 20 minutes later, though. These are bid items by the way.

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for installing a graphics card into a Windows 8 computer? I found some cheap Nvidia 670 graphics cards on eBay and I'm thinking of buying one, but I don't know how to,install it. I have looked for some tutorials but none of them seem to be about Windows 8 computers.

Da Eediot said:

Does anyone know of any good tutorials for installing a graphics card into a Windows 8 computer? I found some cheap Nvidia 670 graphics cards on eBay and I'm thinking of buying one, but I don't know how to,install it. I have looked for some tutorials but none of them seem to be about Windows 8 computers.

Hardware installation is always the same, the operating system doesn't matter. You plug the card into the appropriate PCI-Express slot, provide power to it from the PSU.

In Windows, you download the drivers from nvidia.com, and install them. Job done.

BUT(!!!): before you drop more money, please post your hardware specs, as others have requested and told you how to do. Because even if you buy the card, it might still be that your CPU is too slow, you don't have enough RAM etc.

tuo said:

Hardware installation is always the same, the operating system doesn't matter. You plug the card into the appropriate PCI-Express slot, provide power to it from the PSU.

In Windows, you download the drivers from nvidia.com, and install them. Job done.

BUT(!!!): before you drop more money, please post your hardware specs, as others have requested and told you how to do. Because even if you buy the card, it might still be that your CPU is too slow, you don't have enough RAM etc.

I'll check my system specs using the way Vorpal suggested later.

Da Eediot said:

I'll check my system specs using the way Vorpal suggested later.

On Windows 8 - IIRC - it is the same as Windows 7 and 10, so you can ignore the "run" command...simply type "msinfo32" into the search box in the start menu, and it should start (not sure if this was called "run" in Win 7...but it is the search thingy in the start menu).

Edit: ignore what I just said. Do it exactly like Vorpal said, as going through the "run" command will make sure (in most cases) that it is run with the correct privileges, while running it from the search command might need to run it as Administrator. I should think before I post.

tuo said:

On Windows 8 - IIRC - it is the same as Windows 7 and 10, so you can ignore the "run" command...simply type "msinfo32" into the search box in the start menu, and it should start (not sure if this was called "run" in Win 7...but it is the search thingy in the start menu).

Edit: ignore what I just said. Do it exactly like Vorpal said, as going through the "run" command will make sure (in most cases) that it is run with the correct privileges, while running it from the search command might need to run it as Administrator. I should think before I post.

Okay. I'll try that.

Here are the system specs of my computer that seem to be important:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OS Name Microsoft Windows 8.1
Version 6.3.9600 Build 9600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model s5-1554
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU H3L78AA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2020 @ 2.90GHz, 2900 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date AMI 8.13, 1/11/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Is there anything else I need to post or are these the important system specs?