Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Doom Won't Run! Can Someone Help?

Da Eediot

Good news. The system you currently have can be upgraded to run Doom. You need the following components:

1. A new CPU.

2. A new graphics card.

Your system is a pre-built so it probably doesn't have a powerful enough powersupply to run a high end GPU. No worries, a GeForce GTX 950 (w/o 6-pin power connector) will run just fine. Here you go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126090&cm_re=gtx_950-_-14-126-090-_-Product

Next, you will need to plug a new CPU into your motherboard, that Pentium is too slow. This Core i5 should do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S3NT5244&cm_re=ivy_bridge-_-9SIAA0S3NT5244-_-Product

With these upgrades, your system will run Doom quite well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

That card won't fit in the slim-profile case, sorry.

Plasma Gun said:

Da Eediot

Good news. The system you currently have can be upgraded to run Doom. You need the following components:

1. A new CPU.

2. A new graphics card.

Your system is a pre-built so it probably doesn't have a powerful enough powersupply to run a high end GPU. No worries, a GeForce GTX 950 (w/o 6-pin power connector) will run just fine. Here you go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126090&cm_re=gtx_950-_-14-126-090-_-Product

Next, you will need to plug a new CPU into your motherboard, that Pentium is too slow. This Core i5 should do:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAA0S3NT5244&cm_re=ivy_bridge-_-9SIAA0S3NT5244-_-Product

With these upgrades, your system will run Doom quite well.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks! I'll check out those links.

Your motherboard is compatible with these processors:

i7 3770K
i7 3770
i7 2700K
i7 2600K
i7 2600

i5 3570K
i5 3570
i5 3550
i5 2500K
i5 2500

Sorted from the fastest to the slowest, and "K" means this processor is unlocked for overclocking "should work fine on your motherboard but you can't OC it", and any of those can run Doom just fine..

find a good deal for a used one and pair it with a "Low Profile Only" Geforce GTX 950 and you're ready to go ;)

Da Eediot said:

Thanks! I'll check out those links.

Hey, somebody brought up a good point. Your case may require a low-profile GPU. In that case, buy this one instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125680&cm_re=low_profile_gpu-_-14-125-680-_-Product

It should make Doom playable, especially with a decent CPU, see this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LqKy7a_CGA

There really is no need to buy a new PC if you want to play Doom, IMO. The new CPU and graphics will get you where you need to be.

Plasma Gun said:

Hey, somebody brought up a good point. Your case may require a low-profile GPU. In that case, buy this one instead:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125680&cm_re=low_profile_gpu-_-14-125-680-_-Product

There really is no need to buy a new PC if you want to play Doom, IMO. The new CPU and graphics will get you where you need to be.

Okay, thanks.

Plasma Gun said:

That's a 750Ti, better get the newer GTX 950..

Here you can see the 950 pulling 50~60 fps on medium settings @ 1080:

I've searched for a low profile 950 but can't find any..

It's kinda sad you can't move while the automap is up. (just joking...)

When classic Doom was released, my PC was able to display it at about 5 or 6 fps. Automap - however - was smooth as butter.

I played most of the shareware/first episode by moving in the automap (when no enemies shot at me), and switching to the 5 fps stutter-fest for combat.

Then, my father (I love you dad!) decided to get a new PC for him and me (at my birthday) and I was able to play Doom smoothly.

Still, I remember that first playthrough of E1, switching between combat and automap (tbh: I think I only played up to E1M4 or something like that...can't really remember).

Same with Battle Isle 3 and the combat animations ;) (stutterfest, but I wanted to experience them at the highest graphics level my PC couldn't handle anyway ;) )

Good old times.

tuo said:

It's kinda sad you can't move while the automap is up. (just joking...)

When classic Doom was released, my PC was able to display it at about 5 or 6 fps. Automap - however - was smooth as butter.

I played most of the shareware/first episode by moving in the automap (when no enemies shot at me), and switching to the 5 fps stutter-fest for combat.

Then, my father (I love you dad!) decided to get a new PC for him and me (at my birthday) and I was able to play Doom smoothly.

Still, I remember that first playthrough of E1, switching between combat and automap (tbh: I think I only played up to E1M4 or something like that...can't really remember).

Same with Battle Isle 3 and the combat animations ;) (stutterfest, but I wanted to experience them at the highest graphics level my PC couldn't handle anyway ;) )

Good old times.

Was that a 286 chip ?

I remember how it performed on my 386DX 33Mhz with 4MB RAM !

it was very playable with something like 15~20 fps but there was those moments where i'm forced to play on lower quality (pressing f5) or on lower screen size (pressing -) for smooth gameplay :-)

MiNaM said:

That's a 750Ti, better get the newer GTX 950..

Here you can see the 950 pulling 50~60 fps on medium settings @ 1080:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpVED4ciCB8

I've searched for a low profile 950 but can't find any..

I don't think anybody makes any low profile 950s :( No luck on the AMD side either.

The best low profile card as far as I can tell is the 750 Ti.

Are any of you guys willing to sell an old NVidia GTX 670 graphics card or an old Intel Core i5-2400 to me for under $100?

MiNaM said:

Was that a 286 chip ?

I remember how it performed on my 386DX 33Mhz with 4MB RAM !

it was very playable with something like 15~20 fps but there was those moments where i'm forced to play on lower quality (pressing f5) or on lower screen size (pressing -) for smooth gameplay :-)

Yep. Then went directly to a 486 (damn expensive IIRC) with 8 MB RAM , and it was like night and day :) (and IIRC even an HDD with > 100 mb, but I am not sure (it was my first computer to later have a CD-ROM drive installed)...I still have my 10 mb harddrive from the 286. Size of a brick, heavy as sh*t, and you had to park the drive heads manually via command line)

Plasma Gun said:

I don't think anybody makes any low profile 950s :( No luck on the AMD side either.

Although they don't have separate power connectors, once again a tiny bit of research indicates the 750ti cards need at least 300-400 watt power supply. At full load the card can pull 180+ watts of power.

Da Eediot said:

Are any of you guys willing to sell an old NVidia GTX 670 graphics card or an old Intel Core i5-2400 to me for under $100?

Why? Aside from being a weak choice for Doom that card doesn't come in low profile, it WON'T FIT. Also, for the third time, you can't POWER THIS CARD!! It needs a 400-550 watt power supply! At full gaming load 670 cards consume over 300 watts of power. Are you lacking in basic comprehension? Instead of trying desperately to shoehorn Doom onto this junk computer you should be looking at a full upgrade, it's getting ridiculous at this point.

Use3D said:

Although they don't have separate power connectors, once again a tiny bit of research indicates the 750ti cards need at least 300-400 watt power supply. At full load the card can pull 180+ watts of power.

Why? Aside from being a weak choice for Doom that card doesn't come in low profile, it WON'T FIT. Also, for the third time, you can't POWER THIS CARD!! It needs a 400-550 watt power supply! At full gaming load 670 cards consume over 300 watts of power. Are you lacking in basic comprehension? Instead of trying desperately to shoehorn Doom onto this junk computer you should be looking at a full upgrade, it's getting ridiculous at this point.

There's always another way! I WILL find it!

Da Eediot said:

No, no you won't.

Just use some fucking logic and pay for the parts as required / a new computer or shut the fuck up. Trying to find some 'bypass' method, especially when you haven't got a god-damned clue what you're on about as you've evidenced so incredibly well, is just plain fucking ridiculous. Listen to the numerous people who are very skilled and experienced with computing and computer modifications. They are all telling you the same fucking thing. Stop being a complete asshat.

[/bitch'n'whine]

Da Eediot said:

You could basically try to attach a long piece of metal to the power connectors of the GPU, and wait for a storm. Similar to "Back to the Future". As soon as the thunderbolt hits, the card should have enough power to run for some time. It worked in that movie (but make sure you dial the computer to 2016, not 1993, else the GPU will play classic Doom). If the GPU doesn't fit into the case, you could try to build some kind of PCI-E riser/extender cable (similar to the ones 3M sells) out of old IDE cables (I mean, where#s the difference? they nearly look the same), and just put it on top of the case. Also makes it easier to attach the metal rod so it can see clear sky when the thunderstorm comes along. Takes some soldering skills, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. You just have to make sure that the fan in the GPU turns the right way, else it will not cool the card, but heat it up, which ain't good.

[/sarcasm]

(please don't try this at home, actually)

tuo said:

You could basically try to attach a long piece of metal to the power connectors of the GPU, and wait for a storm. Similar to "Back to the Future". As soon as the thunderbolt hits, the card should have enough power to run for some time. It worked in that movie (but make sure you dial the computer to 2016, not 1993, else the GPU will play classic Doom). If the GPU doesn't fit into the case, you could try to build some kind of PCI-E riser/extender cable (similar to the ones 3M sells) out of old IDE cables (I mean, where#s the difference? they nearly look the same), and just put it on top of the case. Also makes it easier to attach the metal rod so it can see clear sky when the thunderstorm comes along. Takes some soldering skills, but I don't see why it shouldn't work. You just have to make sure that the fan in the GPU turns the right way, else it will not cool the card, but heat it up, which ain't good.

[/sarcasm]

(please don't try this at home, actually)

It's so crazy it just might work...

Dragonfly said:

No, no you won't.

Just use some fucking logic and pay for the parts as required / a new computer or shut the fuck up. Trying to find some 'bypass' method, especially when you haven't got a god-damned clue what you're on about as you've evidenced so incredibly well, is just plain fucking ridiculous. Listen to the numerous people who are very skilled and experienced with computing and computer modifications. They are all telling you the same fucking thing. Stop being a complete asshat.

[/bitch'n'whine]

We don't all have $400 to spend solely on computer parts. And my statement was a joke. Do you always get this worked up on internet forums? It's really not that big of a deal.

Da Eediot said:

We don't all have $400 to spend solely on computer parts. And my statement was a joke. Do you always get this worked up on internet forums? It's really not that big of a deal.

If you can't afford something but want it, there is an ancient method humans have been using for years.

Spoiler

it's called saving

Plasma Gun said:

An Nvidia GTX 750 graphics card is pretty cheap. That would work with my computer, right?

You could always ghetto it up with another cheap power supply that will only power the GPU.. then cut the case so you can put said GPU into it.. lol

Could be like Scrap Yard Wars from LinusTechTips!

Da Eediot said:

Of course we don't all have spare cash around. That's when you save for it or take the advice given: give up.

I don't get like that specifically on internet forums, I get like that when communicating with a complete and utter fucking moron.

Dragonfly said:

I don't get like that specifically on internet forums, I get like that when communicating with a complete and utter fucking moron.

You don't have to respond to me just to prove a point. You can call me a moron if you want, I don't care.

Da Eediot said:

Okay. Thanks.

I was talking to Dragonfly. :P

Anyway good luck with whatever you try to do, this game is pretty demanding.

ReFracture said:

I was talking to Dragonfly. :P

Anyway good luck with whatever you try to do, this game is pretty demanding.

Oh. But would An NVidia GTX 750 get Doom to run?