Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Da Eediot

Doom Won't Run! Can Someone Help?

Da Eediot said:

smart ass.

You're welcome, Thanks for appreciating the help, But still your CPU is just outdated, and that's supposedly why you cannot run the game .

your CPU is terribly outdated, Accept it and move on .

Da Eediot said:

Thanks for the help, smart ass.

As unhelpful as it may seem, he's right, there's no way your current configuration can run this game. Sorry, but at least you didn't waste money on that video card. You need a new system.

Use3D said:

As unhelpful as it may seem, he's right, there's no way your current configuration can run this game. Sorry, but at least you didn't waste money on that video card. You need a new system.

Why wouldn't I be able to put the graphics card in the computer I have?

Doom4 is very CPU intensive. You're CPU does not meet the minimum requirements for the game. The video card is only part of the equation, and I'm not convinced you'll even be able to power a video card properly either. We don't know what kind of wattage your power supply is pulling, I'm betting it's around 240-300 watts, which would also need to be replaced.
But the real crutch is the Pentium D G2020, it's simply way too slow. Doom would need at very least a 3rd generation i3 processor, which would require a new socket/motherboard, essentially a whole new computer.

I just checked out your computer specs based on the model number you provided. I was incorrect on the socket, you technically could upgrade your CPU in this system to something more suitable, but you still lack the power requirements for a video card. Sure enough, the power supply in this system is only 220 watts. The slim form factor makes upgrading that very difficult, as a normal sized power supply will not fit. Additionally, there could also be an issue getting a full-sized video card to fit in this machine. Unfortunately this computer was not designed for high-end graphic application support. If you have any other questions let me know.

Da Eediot said:

What kind of computer would I need in order to run Doom?

This thread: has some helpful builds for Doom-capable computers at various budgets:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-2016-general/85923-updated-the-doom-system-upgrade-thread/

Here are the minimum system requirements:
64-bit Windows 7/Windows 8.1
Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better / AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz or better
8 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 (2GB VRAM) / AMD Radeon HD 7870 (2GB VRAM)
55 GB avaiable HDD space

It looks like I kinda got Doom to run, but I got a fatal error. Here's the report.

Configured log listener print-redirect tags
Added structured log listener print-redirect
Added structured log listener mp-cloud-gobbler
2016-06-04T15:53:04.041-04:00 LOG: Process started
Winsock Initialized
------ Initializing File System ------
Current search path:
- C:/Users/CENSORED/Saved Games/id Software/DOOM/base/
- C:/Users/CENSORED/Documents/Games/Steam/steamapps/common/DOOM/base/
------ File System initialized.
------ Command Line ------
"C:\Users\CENSORED\Documents\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe"
2016-06-04T15:53:04.253-04:00 LOG: Command Line: "C:\Users\CENSORED\Documents\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\DOOM\DOOMx64.exe"
------ CPU Information ------
1 CPU package, 2 physical cores, 2 logical cores
2893 MHz Intel CPU with MMX & SSE & SSE2 & SSE3 & SSSE3 & SSE41 & SSE42
32768 kB 1st level cache, 262144 kB 2nd level cache, 3145728 kB 3rd level cache
6032 MB System Memory
initializing resource container gameresources.resources
idLib::SetProduction( PROD_PRODUCTION )
------- Initializing renderSystem --------
PreliminaryRenderSetup
---registered window class
---registered fake window class
---registered context window class
unknown error: 0xc0072095
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x5983b2ad( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x597afaf0( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x5979fdfd( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x58d03821( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x58d036de( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x58d03571( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x58d0ec33( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x58d0a3e0( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x5958b5a2( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x581309cd( ) + bytes () : __glewVertexAttrib2fvARB( )
DOOMx64.exe @ 0x5984b74b( ) + bytes () : GetGameSystemInterface( )
KERNEL32.DLL @ 0xfaab13d2( ) + bytes () : BaseThreadInitThunk( )
ntdll.dll @ 0xfce154e4( ) + bytes () : RtlUserThreadStart( )
FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed
Dumped console text to C:\Users\CENSORED\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM\base\ErrorLog_06-04-2016__03-53-14pm.txt.

idRenderSystem::Shutdown()
Shutting down OpenGL subsystem

FATAL ERROR: wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed

'wglCreateContextAttribsARB failed'

This is Doom's way of saying your current graphics hardware is not compatible with the game. This indicates it doesn't have the proper OpenGL support.

Da Eediot said:

What would happen if I got an Nvidia 660 graphics card and put it in my computer? Would it break?

With your current 220 watt power supply, the card simply would not function. You don't have enough power for that class of video card. It won't even have the proper power connectors for it. You can keep trying to cut corners all you like, but it's simply not going to work on that machine.

Every poster is just giving you a tiny piece of information at a time, and its clear you don't know enough about computer hardware or software to understand all of the information being presented to you in its entirety, so here's the full scoop at one time.

DOOM is a high end piece of software which requires high end hardware to operate and be playable. There are 3 major hardware requirements to run the doom software. These hardware components are CPU (Processor), RAM (memory) and GPU (Video card/graphics card).

You need to meet ALL THREE requirements at the same time in order for the software to operate. Meeting or surpassing 1 or 2 of the requirements is not enough.

You need a Quad Core CPU on a modern architecture (intel i5 for example) to meet the CPU requirement. You need 8 GB of dedicated system RAM to meet the memory requirement, and you need a GTX 670 or equivalent graphics card to meet the graphics requirement. Even if you meet the minimum for all of these, you will still only be able to play the game on the LOWEST graphical settings and performance will be suboptimal still.

To have an enjoyable play experience or to be able to increase graphical settings from lowest possible to medium/high/ultra, you must EXCEED the minimum, and preferably match the 'recommended' requirements in EVERY hardware category.

Your current hardware does not meet ANY of the minimum requirements and because of the nature of PC hardware upgradability, unless your system was designed ahead of time with upgrade paths in mind your upgrade options are very limited. Looking at your processor alone, its clear you have hardware so out of date that you would essentially need to start completely from scratch to build a computer that can play DOOM.

You will need to invest several hundred dollars to build a machine capable of playing DOOM. At minimum a cheap AMD based cpu/memory/motherboard combo will run you 200-225 for something worth purchasing for the purpose of playing doom. You would then need a storage device and power supply which would at least tack on another 100-125 based on the quality of components you select, and then you still need a graphics card.

For 500~600 you could build a machine that could play DOOM on medium+ settings which would give you a nice mix of visual fidelity and performance at a decent cost. To play on high/ultra you would need to have a budget of 700-800 (the price of meeting the recommended system hardware)

There is nothing you can download, modify or do to fix what you currently have to play doom. Your computer is simply lacking and the parts are not compatible with what is required to play the game.

If you need further help, someone could easily assist you in putting together a machine but it will cost $ and there is no other option, besides buying an xbox one or ps4 and playing doom on those instead.

Since pretty much every single one of your components is too weak to play DOOM at all, I would suggest just getting a completely new Desktop PC. Since you don't seem like you know a whole lot about PC hardware, you should probably buy one pre-built, though it is usually more expensive than buying the parts individually and putting it together yourself. If you can find one with a GTX 960 or better, you should be set.

Jup, there is no meaningful way to get your machine to run Doom 2016. Even if, it will run in a state that you won't enjoy.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

Regarding building a new PC for Doom:
IF(!) you have the funds for it, not only I but I am quite sure some others here gladly walk you through the steps, and after the job is done (RIP AND TEAR!), you will say to yourself "hey, that wasn't too bad, everything went better than expected", but it will cost money.

As with most things in live, it depens on your budget. If I understand the thread correctly, you already registered the key, so returning it might not be an option? (else, there might be the option to buy a used console).

The sad thing is: just a couple of weeks ago I retired two machines of mine...one with a rather rare EVGA X58 classified quad-sli Mainboard (with overclockable i7 in there, 16 GB RAM, and 4x GTX 480, all within an Lian Li Case, water cooled CPU, matchin PSU (damn hard to find back then) etc. pp.), and the other a Asus whatever with i7, 16 GB RAM, 1x 480 GTX etc.). I found NOONE who wanted them...not for money, but for nothing. I even asked schools if they have some kind of IT class...got some lukewarm answers about "we will ask the teacher", that was it.

The sad thing is, these machines are now sitting at the exit door of my office, until I find time to dump them...sadly. I have no clue if a dual, tri- or quad-sli 480 GTX could run Doom 2016, but the board, CPU and RAM itself would be enough to jumpstart someone to get this stuff going, allthough it is "old" (six years?). I used one of those machines till last year for my driving simulator, by replacing the 480 with a 980.

Sometimes, it makes me sad how very good hardware has to go to the dumpster. I know that no sane person would run one, two or even four GTX 480 nowadays, as they used an amount of power and generated an amount of heat unheard off before and after (but that quad-sli machine was fun...the room got warm soooo fast).

It still saddens me when I read posts like this, and have to dump perfectly good hardware which I am quite sure would still drive many games for a couple of years, and (I am sure of that) even Doom 2016 if you drop in the right graphics card.

:(

Da Eediot said:

I guess PC really isn't the master race.

When you have a grasp of the knowledge and enough foresight to plan a build properly it certainly is. In your case coming up short on both isn't a fault of the platform.

Da Eediot said:

Living up for your Username aren't you ?

tuo said:

Jup, there is no meaningful way to get your machine to run Doom 2016. Even if, it will run in a state that you won't enjoy.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

Regarding building a new PC for Doom:
IF(!) you have the funds for it, not only I but I am quite sure some others here gladly walk you through the steps, and after the job is done (RIP AND TEAR!), you will say to yourself "hey, that wasn't too bad, everything went better than expected", but it will cost money.

As with most things in live, it depens on your budget. If I understand the thread correctly, you already registered the key, so returning it might not be an option? (else, there might be the option to buy a used console).

The sad thing is: just a couple of weeks ago I retired two machines of mine...one with a rather rare EVGA X58 classified quad-sli Mainboard (with overclockable i7 in there, 16 GB RAM, and 4x GTX 480, all within an Lian Li Case, water cooled CPU, matchin PSU (damn hard to find back then) etc. pp.), and the other a Asus whatever with i7, 16 GB RAM, 1x 480 GTX etc.). I found NOONE who wanted them...not for money, but for nothing. I even asked schools if they have some kind of IT class...got some lukewarm answers about "we will ask the teacher", that was it.

The sad thing is, these machines are now sitting at the exit door of my office, until I find time to dump them...sadly. I have no clue if a dual, tri- or quad-sli 480 GTX could run Doom 2016, but the board, CPU and RAM itself would be enough to jumpstart someone to get this stuff going, allthough it is "old" (six years?). I used one of those machines till last year for my driving simulator, by replacing the 480 with a 980.

Sometimes, it makes me sad how very good hardware has to go to the dumpster. I know that no sane person would run one, two or even four GTX 480 nowadays, as they used an amount of power and generated an amount of heat unheard off before and after (but that quad-sli machine was fun...the room got warm soooo fast).

It still saddens me when I read posts like this, and have to dump perfectly good hardware which I am quite sure would still drive many games for a couple of years, and (I am sure of that) even Doom 2016 if you drop in the right graphics card.

:(

Send one to the OP, ask him to pay shipping. Easy solution :)

A friend of mine has a friend who has an Nvidia gtx graphics card to give away, so I don't need to buy one.

tuo said:

My previous board/cpu (Phenom II X4) performed well for ~6 years, though I did 2 upgrades with very cheap gpus. It's now collecting dust on a shelf, which bothers me for something that served so reliably for so long. I already have an ultra low-profile system doing home server duties, so I have no ideas on what I could do with the old rig. But the legacy lives on I suppose, the new one cannibalized the memory and some other components ;-)

Vorpal said:

My previous board/cpu (Phenom II X4) performed well for ~6 years, though I did 2 upgrades with very cheap gpus. It's now collecting dust on a shelf, which bothers me for something that served so reliably for so long. I already have an ultra low-profile system doing home server duties, so I have no ideas on what I could do with the old rig. But the legacy lives on I suppose, the new one cannibalized the memory and some other components ;-)

Why not sell it?

Da Eediot said:

No, PC is the 'master race' because of the availability for better hardware and mod-ability of both hardware and software. You simply lack said hardware.

Here, I've put it into 'idiot terms' to help you - What you're trying to do is the equivalent of sticking a copy of the PS4 game "Uncharted 4" into a PS1 and wondering why it doesn't work.

Listen to the three pages worth of free IT support you've received rather than attempt to offend the platform and those providing the support for you.

You outright need to buy a new computer to play DOOM 2016. If budget is an issue, to get it all as cheap as possible go play on a PS4/XB1 and enjoy the less-than-perfect experience of playing Doom with a gamepad.

Da Eediot said:

Why not sell it?

Not worth the hassle. A five or six year old system is not worth much. Everything that is still usable (HDDs/SSDs, Fans, PSU) people tend to keep anyway (either as spare parts or use them in another machine), so you are left with outdated components.

If you sell them on eBay - for example - they tend to be in a price range where most of the people without a clue buy stuff, and then run into problems, and threaten you with a negative feedback, allthough you did everything right.

At least, that's my experience.

I currently tend to frame systems (board + cpu + ram + gpu) I enjoyed. For example this four-way SLI System, because it was something special (one of the first boards to even offer four-way SLI, as stupid as it is). And it's quite funny if you hang them in your office and "walk down memory lane" (as most of my gaming systems start as my workstations, and then after three years are consolidated for gaming).

Gives me more joy than dumping them on eBay and risking negative feedback from some idiot. But I was still dumbfounded when I learned that people not even want them as a gift.

Nice, i wish, i could keep my old computers. But most of them start using parts from the old computers till they break and replace them with new ones...
My current case is 12 years old, it saw many Motherboards, CPU, GPU and about two PSU

Wild Dog said:

Nice, i wish, i could keep my old computers. But most of them start using parts from the old computers till they break and replace them with new ones...
My current case is 12 years old, it saw many Motherboards, CPU, GPU and about two PSU

I only keep the boards (+ CPU, RAM, maybe GPU if no one in my family needs them...the GTX 480 was one of those GPUs you couldn't even sell after a year due to heat/power usage), to be honest.

Many years ago, I started collecting SGI computers...and not only the Indys, Indigos, Octanes...but - sadly - also the big irons. The most recent one is a Onyx 3900 (after that I stopped, allthough my current server rack is an Altix Rack). So imagine what the basement of my house looks like. Couple of racks of SGI big irons, plus a room full of workstations and some desksides. When I go down there, there days where I ask myself "what have I done with my life?" (but it goes away quickly). So I can't also keep the cases. Only case I kept from recent machines is the Thermaltake Level 10 limited edition. Then again, my current two rigs use the same cases as the rigs before (one beeing a Lian Li, the other an Obsidian 800...so basically no need to buy anything new).

Dragonfly said:

No, PC is the 'master race' because of the availability for better hardware and mod-ability of both hardware and software. You simply lack said hardware.

Here, I've put it into 'idiot terms' to help you - What you're trying to do is the equivalent of sticking a copy of the PS4 game "Uncharted 4" into a PS1 and wondering why it doesn't work.

Listen to the three pages worth of free IT support you've received rather than attempt to offend the platform and those providing the support for you.

You outright need to buy a new computer to play DOOM 2016. If budget is an issue, to get it all as cheap as possible go play on a PS4/XB1 and enjoy the less-than-perfect experience of playing Doom with a gamepad.

I already read it. You don't have to get so pissy.