Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

So where does it rank on your list of DOOM ?

I'm going to say:

(Ultimate) Doom > DOOM 2016 > DOOM 64 >/= DOOM 2 > DOOM 3 (+ROE) > DOOM RPG

just curious to see where'd you place it in line.

I'll detail "why" shortly.

Despite winning the campaign twice and played my share of Multiplayer now, I still can't say. I am hitting the fatigue point of the new Doom where nothing feels new or unique anymore and I would just be grinding to play further. Also, it's still too early to judge Snapmap and its content.

However the game is damn amazing and I loved the direction they took. But will I ever get the longevity in comparison to the classic Dooms? Probably not. But as a game I'm hungry for more and would fork out money right now if another installment were suddenly released.

For now: Doom 2 > Doom 1 > Doom 2016 > Doom 3 > Others

But I'm being harsh on Doom2016. I want to rank it number 1.

Doom 2 > The Ultimate Doom > DOOM 2016 > Doom 3 (+RoE) > Final Doom > (others.)

It won't top the two originals, but it's still an awesome game in my opinion.

I need to come down off the high first, but for me the list probably looks something like this...

1. Doom
2. Doom 2016
3. Doom 2
4. Final Doom/ Doom 64
5. Doom 3+ ROE

I think my biggest beef with Doom 2016 is that most of the Demons were fought in the death arenas and not spread out through the levels, the game would be damn near perfect if they had a healthy dose of Imps, Possessed guards, Hell knights, Revenants and smatterings of more serious demons like the Mancubus, Baron and Cacodemon inbetween the death arenas, to keep you on your toes more often.
It would of felt more like an Demon invasion if it was constant demons with some quiet moments and then big demon fights, not a lot of quiet moments and then big battles, you were allowed too much quiet time to recover.

Doom > Doom 2016 > Doom2 (close call, but I only love half the levels) > Doom3 RoE > Doom3 > Final Doom > Doom 64

But it is tough to rank these things, I try to make it a mix of how I felt when I first played them and ranking them today. And not taking user WADs into account.

1. Doom
2. Doom 2016
3. Doom 2
4. Doom 3 + ROE
5. Final Doom

Never played Doom 64 and Doom RPG.

doom 2
doom 2016 = doom 64 (this is tough for me, but I might go with doom 2016)
doom 3
doom 1
Final Doom

Well to be honest, while the new Doom may technically win over Doom 3 in the gameplay department I would argue that Doom 3 was much more memorable as an actual game. The new Doom is just a dumb shooter that I may soon put away in favor of other things. There are no real memorable moments in it. Doom 3 had lots of memorable moments as well as high levels of immersion. I would not say either game is better or worse than the other, just different.

The classics are still the best however.

1. Doom 2.
2. Doom 1.
3. Doom 2016
4. Doom 3.
5. Doom 64
6. Final Doom.
7. Master Levels.

PsychoGoatee said:

Doom > Doom 2016 > Doom2 (close call, but I only love half the levels) > Doom3 RoE > Doom3 > Final Doom > Doom 64

Pretty much this (except I've never played Doom 64.) Also throw in Lost Missions from Doom 3 above ROE, as its a much more classic level layout.

I've already mentioned my dislike of alot of Doom 2 levels, so thats why it sits just below 2016.

Mechazawa said:

Damn, everyone ranks this better than doom 2. Interesting.

The Super Shotgun's great and all, and I don't mind the new enemies that much, but nowadays I see the general consensus be that the level design ranges from 'okay' to 'garbage', especially once you hit the halfway point of the game. I didn't expect this myself, but it makes sense; Doom 2016 generally has more coherent and cohesive game design in its campaign than Doom 2, out and out, and while it's not the best there ever was, it seems to just.. be fun.

1. DooM 64
2. DooM 2
3. Ultimate DooM
4. DooM 2016 (if you don't factor in snapmap)*
5. Final Doom
6. DooM 3

*Factoring in snapmap and that its a gimped console cancer piece of shit. And that id bold faced lied to the community.

1. DooM 64
2. DooM 2
3. Ultimate DooM
4. Final DooM
5. Doom 3
99. Call of Duty
100. Doom 2016

Seriously, those at id that thought Snapmap would be a suitable replacement for a real mod tool needs to have their heads opened up with a crowbar.

@ Glaice... WHAT!?!?! I'm very suprised at your D16 Ranking XD.
Ultimate Doom,
Doom 16,
Doom 64 EX,
Doom 2,
Doom 3,
Final Doom.
this is for campaign only.

1-Ultimate Doom & Doom 2
2-Doom 2016
3-Doom 3
4-Doom 64
5-Final Doom

After going through Doom (2016) again a second time to really explore and collect all the secrets, I'm honestly enjoying it more this time around with all the weapons & poweups. I disagree on one thing said, this is infact very immersive if you really take in all the details, as far as being on a Martian base fighting hordes of demons..
Being able to actually go around Mars felt great, the base looked amazing, being able to see the other areas from a distance was way to cool, hearing all the zombies roaring down the halls once you arrived... that's Doom, it doesn't hold back.
Also right before you get to Lazarus there is this train you take, did you notice the music playing? Epic throwback right there go back and check it out =)
With just enough lore to keep you moving on to the next objective, your mission is clear. Kill all the demons on Mars and shut down the hell portal.
The plot for every Doom there is no less.
So I wasn't disappointed at all, I think a proper intro and longer ending would have been icing on the cake.
The retro Cyberdemon and Spidermastermind battles really reminded me of the first Doom. Overall I think it was a great throwback, but everyone has there taste and style. The heart of this game is the combat, and it shines.
Once you have everything down and your laying waste to demon hordes running through pools of blood and gibs its gold.

It's pretty hard to compare when on a technical level, the series is all over the place. It's difficult to compare quality in things so distantly related, imo.

Doom 1993.
Doom 2016.
Plutonia (not even joking).
Doom 2 (not a big fan of that one, myself).
Doom 3.
TNT.

And those are all the Doom games I've played from start to finish and beaten.

Doom 2016
Doom 2
(Ultimate) Doom
Doom 64
Final Doom
Doom 3
RoE

Yeah you heard me, it's my favourite Doom game. Watcha gonna do?

There's a lot of reason why I will not place Doom 4 in first or second place, the lacking monster cast, the limited map editor, the lack of mod tools, the art direction, no campaign Co-Op, arena focus instead of exploration, etc. But at least I didn't place Doom 3 above it.

RikohZX said:

The Super Shotgun's great and all, and I don't mind the new enemies that much, but nowadays I see the general consensus be that the level design ranges from 'okay' to 'garbage', especially once you hit the halfway point of the game. I didn't expect this myself, but it makes sense; Doom 2016 generally has more coherent and cohesive game design in its campaign than Doom 2, out and out, and while it's not the best there ever was, it seems to just.. be fun.

Well, I was considering all of the custom wads made for doom 2 as well. Since custom content is part of how good a game is (at least for me); it makes sense if you are only considering the game itself, doom 2 had terrible levels lol. For me it would rank(including the custom content; which is part of the experience of the game);

Doom 2
Doom 1

Then we have to see how well the custom content for Doom 4 is before I can say. If it has decent custom content then it will be 3rd.. if not; then it goes in the pile with everything else doom.

On another note; I don't know if doom 3 had custom content; Ive never went past 3 hours in doom 3 because the fucking flashlight mechanics. Is there a mod or something that just makes everything full bright or something? Or at least an "always flashlight" mod.

the most disconcerting thing is that there are many who actually prefer doom 1 over doom 2 ...

for me it's a very good doom, but not on the same level of doom 2, but pretty close to doom 1, just because doom 1 does not have the awesome doom 2 addition...

Amph, because my first Doom was Doom 1 in '93. Doom 2 was something like map pack for me, TNT and Final Doom too. Only four original Doom games - Doom, Doom 64, Doom 3 and Doom 2016.

Doom 2
Doom
Doom 2016
Doom 3
The rest

Doom 2 wins flat out because of modability and the enemy rooster. Yeah the campaign is boringish midway through, and the one in ultimate doom is better but do remember what countless custom wads it has spawned, and those would not have been the same without the supershotgun and the new enemies. There are way fewer really good ultimate doom wads and there's a good reason for this. This alone makes it the far superior game.

Doom 2016 is great, but it really is too short and lackluster in content to the point of it feeling rushed. They should have gotten a bigger team to work on it and perfected it. Oh well, it might be a tactic to save money though. Wait and see if it sells well and then go all in for the expanded effort. :)