Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

So where does it rank on your list of DOOM ?

I have yet to complete Doom 64 (working on it) so it's not on this list.

Doom 2 - This is what my dad had so this is what I played the most growing up. (I'm 28 now) Beating it for the first time on my own was immensely satisfying.

Doom - Only had Knee Deep to play for years until I eventually picked up Ultimate Doom. I very much enjoyed it but since I spent most of my time with Doom 2 before hand I really missed the newer demons while playing.

Doom 3 / Doom 16 - I love them for very different reasons. The atmosphere of Doom 3 is fantastic and I usually eat that shit up in video games. Doom 16 isn't a slacker on atmosphere either but the gameplay is fuckin' addicting in a way Doom 3 isn't.

TNT - In my brain this was always the 'conclusion' for the original Doom games story wise. Not quite as fun but the music and vibe of the game always really clicked with me.

ROE - I liked it, but I didn't love it.

Have yet to complete: Plutonia because I'm lame. Doom 64 because I never had an N64 but I got it on my PC now and i was working through it until the new game came out.

1. The Ultimate DOOM. I'd place Thy Flesh Consumed at the very top.
2. DOOM II.
3. DOOM (2016) and Final DOOM (I really can't decide).
4. DOOM II: No Rest For The Living, from BFG edition (also on XBLA, from what I've heard).
5. DOOM 3 and DOOM 3: The Lost Mission (BFG Edition again). The Lost Mission has the best Hell design of all DOOM 3 games, and decent writing (unlike RoE).
6. DOOM 3: RoE.

I never played DOOM 64, though I'm kinda feeling the need to fill that gap now.
I might have ranked No Rest For The Living too low, but there was too much time between it and Final DOOM so can't really tell which I prefer.

The reason I can't answer this question is because Doom 2 is the best for its modding community, but Doom 64 has the best atmosphere. I mean, how do you really rank them when they're top-tier for different reasons? Also, I've only played a few hours of Doom '16, but in some ways it's my favorite, because its aesthetics and presentation is very much like what I've always wanted to see in the game.

I have no ranking, every doom has its awesomeness and annoying flaws, just in a different way

I love them all the same

It has the best SP campaign in the series, that's for sure (although, IMO, the game doesn't get good until the Foundry level).

Even though Doom 1 and 2 didn't really have great SP maps, the custom maps added tremendous value. That's what we have to wait and see for the new Doom.

Classic > Doom 2016 > Doom 64 > Doom 3

You just can't beat classic. It has too much user content and nostalgia. Not too mention I can easily make levels for it too suit my personal taste.

AnonimVio said:

Final Doom
Doom 2
Ultimate Doom
Doom 3 + RoE
Doom 2016
*Maximum Doom*
Doom 64

LOL, you put shovelware with double levels ahead of DooM 64? Different strokes for different folks I guess...

Zemini said:

Classic > Doom 2016 > Doom 64 > Doom 3

You just can't beat classic. It has too much user content and nostalgia. Not too mention I can easily make levels for it too suit my personal taste.

this.

Deatheye said:

without the nostalgia the classics are pretty inferior

Hmm I disagree, I Don't play Doom for nostalgia, if that were the case I'd Be on a Sonic Forum. The originals Had done so well with enemy types, weapons spacial reasoning and how tactical the game is. I Honestly Feel Classic Doom is superior to most modernday shooters. I don't replay doom for collectibles or skinner techniques, I play them because the a more enjoyable then (I'v got a absurd amount of games) almost any other game. The New Doom If given the room to grow could be a stronger game perhaps then the classics but time will tell. Doom 4 is Fucking great though, easily one of the best fps campaigns I'v ever played Imo.

1. The Ultimate Doom (all 4 episodes)
2. Plutonia
3. Doom 2016
4. Doom 2
5. TNT
6. Doom 3 ROE

Hmm.

1. DOOM 2016
2. DOOM 1
3. DOOM 64
4. DOOM II
5. DOOM 3
6. Final DOOM
(others).

But face It, I love all the games, but I find DOOM 3 to be decent though.

Tough call, but...

1. Doom 2 (if we include user-made content, it easily lands above, but the original levels are solid and what I grew up with)
2. Ultimate Doom (although if individual episodes came into play I'd put Doom E1 above all else)
3. Doom 2016
4. Doom 3 + RoE
5. Doom 64 (never played the N64 version and never got very far in the fan-made port)

Hmm, my list would probably go something like this:

PlayStation Doom (can't beat that soundtrack)
Ultimate Doom
Doom 2016
Doom II
Plutonia
Doom 64
Doom 3: RoE
Doom 3
TNT

Best Doom game ever. Best game ever, actually. All these years of gaming culminated into this single moment for me. Doom 2016 embodies everything about the series, FPS's and gaming in particular that I look for. Demonic entities, lore, colourful locations, fast paced action, secrets and optional exploration, challenges and just the right amount of rpg-style customisation options. As well as a very good balanced difficulty in NM mode.

Mechazawa said:

People putting Doom 64 high on the list; why?

From what I recall, it was mostly Doom 2 style level design with the brightness level set to 0.5 out of 10. Though, I admit I don't have much experience with it I did watch many speedruns of it.

There where so many things done different yet done right in DooM 64.

The music was perfect
The environments and level design were spot on
and while some demons where missing the designs of the demons where amazing.
The horror elements where spot on and overshadowed that of doom 3's.

Nineball said:

The horror elements where spot on and overshadowed that of doom 3's.

lol?

I don't think doom64 creates a better immersion and atmosphere than doom 3 lol

Deatheye said:

lol?

I don't think doom64 creates a better immersion and atmosphere than doom 3 lol

You're crazy. Doom 3 was just some dark hallways with loud noises playing all the time to try and create atmosphere, and it fails spectacularly. What was meant to seem scary and choc full of mood just turns out bland and boring.

D64 on the other hand uses some really unique music that establishes a tone from the very beginning of the level. It uses lighting in its levels effectively and yes, while there may be some very dark sequences a-la Doom 3 the actual design of the areas are far more interesting and unique. Doom 64's textures and decoration placement also give off a sense that this is a place that was actually overrun by demons, whereas in Doom 3 it just feels like an abandoned Mars base where everyone just decided "Ta-ta, we're off lads"

AwesomeO-789 said:

You're crazy. Doom 3 was just some dark hallways with loud noises playing all the time to try and create atmosphere, and it fails spectacularly. What was meant to seem scary and choc full of mood just turns out bland and boring.

D64 on the other hand uses some really unique music that establishes a tone from the very beginning of the level. It uses lighting in its levels effectively and yes, while there may be some very dark sequences a-la Doom 3 the actual design of the areas are far more interesting and unique. Doom 64's textures and decoration placement also give off a sense that this is a place that was actually overrun by demons, whereas in Doom 3 it just feels like an abandoned Mars base where everyone just decided "Ta-ta, we're off lads"

that sounds like someone who just hates doom 3 for what it is and loves doom 64 because he was a child when he played it

for me, who never played doom64 - the demons look scary and cool except the mancubus who looks like something ripped out of banjo kazooie, leveldesign is cool, kinda like the classics, not so good weapon design and weapon sounds and the graphics are bad for n64 standards

all in all, for me doom 3 creates the best immersion and atmosphere in all doom games I think and I like the fact that the environment of the new doom looks very similar to doom 3

1. The Ultimate DOOM

2. DOOM
3. DOOM II
4. DOOM II: No Rest for the Living
5. DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
6. DOOM 64
7. Master Levels for DOOM II
8. DOOM 3

9. Final DOOM

10. DOOM 3: The Lost Mission
11. DOOM RPG
12. DOOM II RPG

13. DOOM: Ressurection

Edited by Wario64

Updated list because I've had the opportunity to play more of nu-Doom

1.Doom 4

(some space)

2. Ultimate Doom
3. Doom 64

(some space)

4.Doom 2

(LOOOOOOOOONG space)

5. Doom 3 ROE

(some space)

6. Doom 3

I genuinely think Doom 4 might be the most fun I've had with a game period. No other game has actually given me a rush of adrenaline or made me feel as good as Doom 4 has. I know I'm probably gonna get shit for having this opinion but hey it's whatever.

I don't do rankings. That said, DOOM 2016 definitely sits closer to DOOM II than the first game. It introduces some cool new shite, some of which may be considered an essential addition to the series, but it does sacrifice creativity for novelty. As a gut experience it is easily the best shooter I have played in forever - objectively it may do very little, but that's also what makes it so refined. No clunky, overloaded combat like e.g. in the Shadow Warrior remake, or the absolutely abysmal Bulletstorm. But in terms of staying power, it's more of a "dig up every now and then for a quick run" game, rather than one to inspire Dark Souls levels of dedication, like the original DOOM did.

Mmm...Id say Doom 4 is probably my favorite in the series if only because the boss fights were so fantastic! BUT I'm also recovering from the hype of it since I just finished last week.

So at this time it goes

1.Doom 4
2.Doom
3.The Plutonia Experiment
4.Doom 2
5.Doom 64
6.TNT Evilution
7.Doom 3

I never played ROE.

Well, anyone who knows me knows I've got the Ultimate Hard-On [TM] for Playstation Doom. So:

1. Doom (PSX)
2. DOOM (2016)
3. Final Doom (PSX)
4. All the others, I don't care

The selection of maps in PSX Final Doom, combined with the limited number of monsters and textures, creates a more cohesive experience than the PC version. That's what I love the most about the Playstation version of Doom: it's visually consistent, no walking into the middle of a base to find trees growing on the walls. Also, no Chaingunner spam.

The new Doom has its issues (walk down a corridor, go into a room, deliberately force monsters to spawn, rip their faces off, rinse and repeat) but it's just so much fun. It's more like "Doom 3 done right" than anything else.

Ultimate Doom > Doom II > Evilution > Plutonia > Doom 2016 > Doom III ≥ Doom 64

Doom III and Doom 64 are hard to properly rank for me as I have never finished those ones.