Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Is it too late to save MP?

Sorry, I'm posting this not in Doom MP section but hardly anyone goes there. I just thought that id still has time to save Doom MP from oblivion and the first steps are really simple:

1) Add server browser
2) Add private games (and bots)
3) Add free-for-all mode
4) Add an option to disable loadouts

These things are not hard to do, especially since the first three were in the betas. Balancing the maps around no loadouts mode would take some work but it is not an impossible task.

I believe that the core gameplay and mechanics are solid, it is just the private matches and game modes where Certain Affinity really fucked up. Don't you think so?

Why too late? 5-6 months and few DLCs will change most issues with Doom MP. IMHO.

NoisM said:

Why too late? 5-6 months and few DLCs will change most issues with Doom MP. IMHO.

Which means we'll have to buy a season pass or individual DLC's just to get multiplayer that's above average.

Gotta love this industry.

kelliegator said:

Which means we'll have to buy a season pass or individual DLC's just to get multiplayer that's above average.

Gotta love this industry.

Isn't DLC only new weapons and maps?

NoisM said:

IMO the things I've mentioned should be added as a regular free update. They should've been in the core game in the first place. DLCs are for maps. Bethesda is in a bad position now. Given the harsh MP reviews and small MP install base there's no point for them making paid MP DLCs now. But they took season pass money and promised MP DLCs in return.

TheLastOttoman said:

Isn't DLC only new weapons and maps?

I actually don't know, all info I found was that it's multiplayer content. If anyone can confirm if you're right or not it would be great.

Guns, demons and armors for money, mods for free. Few months ago Bethesda said something like that.

NoisM said:

Guns, demons and armors for money, mods for free. Few months ago Bethesda said something like that.

And maps are paid for.

But I believe there are several free updates expected to come. Mostly for Snapmap but I'm sure it will someway or another alter Multiplayer.

Also, dedicated servers would be welcomed. I just don't see the multiplayer lasting very long in its current state - as much as I do enjoy it.

Chezza said:

Also, dedicated servers would be welcomed.

The servers in standard multiplayer are already dedicated.

Edward850 said:

The servers in standard multiplayer are already dedicated.

Ah, perhaps it's the lobby system that bothers me. Also sometimes the pings aren't the greatest for me. I would just like these deathmatch games to have player owned / hosted servers with number of players and additional information.

You know whats funny? In the leaked alpha build a while back, it actually had Bots and Private Games with custom settings and even had a server browser. And i believe in the datamined info there were references to options that would disable loadouts as well among other cool features. Why they aren't in the final release? I couldn't tell you.

Keaton said:

You know whats funny? In the leaked alpha build a while back, it actually had Bots and Private Games with custom settings and even had a server browser. And i believe in the datamined info there were references to options that would disable loadouts as well among other cool features. Why they aren't in the final release? I couldn't tell you.

Proof for server browser or it didn't happen.

Bots where in there, but not fleshed out/finished (no fun to play against them).

Private matches and Server browser? Where exactly do I have to look in the alpha files to find them? (I have them right here, all extracted, played as all the demons in the alpha, but saw no indication of either private games nor server browsers).

Also I couldn't find info regarding disabled loadouts. What string exactly are you referencing? (which file, which offset?)

I had my doubts playing the Alpha, but the multiplayer isn't really that bad to be honest, it can be quite fun. A lot of people got hyped up to ridiculous levels thinking it was going to be the next Quake3 Arena or something.

That being said some more maps and game modes would really help.

Ping!!! Why in the hell would they replace ping numbers with connection bars? Why are game developers making players more unaware of pings by replacing them with bars that have no standard set across games(Developers set their own requirements for how much ping each bar represents). 100ms might be 1 out of 4 in one game but 3 out of 4 bars in another game!

I distinctively remember there being a game list.

Did you play the in the official Closed Alpha? Because this was in a cracked build that was different than the one everyone got to play. It had access to a multiplayer test map that had all the weapons and powerups.

EDIT: Also i couldn't tell you where the reference to the loadout options is since the threads with it all got deleted after id/Bethesda threw a hissy fit over the datamining.

Keaton said:

I distinctively remember there being a game list.

Did you play the in the official Closed Alpha? Because this was in a cracked build that was different than the one everyone got to play. It had access to a multiplayer test map that had all the weapons and powerups.

Yes. There was no open Alpha, only an open Beta. I was on both alphas (have both files here, in closed beta and open beta (have also both files here). I know about the testmap (which was not a multiplayer testmap, but a regular testmap/room with all weapons, regardless of SP or MP...you could load heatwave and spawn SP enemies, some of them even reacting to the player, like the Cyberdemon).

I cannot for the life of me remember any server browser or anyone finding it.

Regarding an archive of most of the stuff that has been found (and wasn't deleted due to Bethesda), you could search here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Doomleaks/

TheLastOttoman said:

Ping!!! Why in the hell would they replace ping numbers with connection bars? Why are game developers making players more unaware of pings by replacing them with bars that have no standard set across games(Developers set their own requirements for how much ping each bar represents). 100ms might be 1 out of 4 in one game but 3 out of 4 bars in another game!

TBH: the Ping in the Beta already was some kind of "bar" thingy...they where all rounded up/down to what seemed like 20-ish steps. It always looked like "Ping 100, 80, 60, 40" and nearly always someone with Ping 0, as if it was hosted on a client (which wasn't the case, of course, as it was not SnapMap).

I could be wrong about the loadouts thing, but i do remember hearing of a number of hints to gameplay settings including one specifically referring to strafe jumping.

Keaton said:

I could be wrong about the loadouts thing, but i do remember hearing of a number of hints to gameplay settings including one specifically referring to strafe jumping.

Where?

A gameplay setting saying "Do you know how to Strafejump?" : "Yes"|"No"?

How it works in Quake Live and must be in new Doom - server browser -> special rules for server(strafejumps, no loadout e t.c.) -> profit!

The lack of proper servers just thoroughly baffles me. I have never played a CoD or Halo or any FPS with console-style online functionality (apart from a bit of CS:GO but even that had a server browser in conjunction with that) so it remains a completely alien concept to me. The shitty p2p matchmaking kills any sense of community. I don't want these fleeting, hollow encounters with complete strangers that never ever talk to eachother. Not to mention that a good chunk of the game modes have such short matches that it feels like I'm spending more time in that stupid intermission screen, which ruins the pace of the gameplay and doesn't let me have continuous uninterrupted gameplay sessions.

How this bullshit came to be the standard "modern" online formula I will never understand.

GeckoYamori said:

The lack of proper servers just thoroughly baffles me. I have never played a CoD or Halo or any FPS with console-style online functionality (apart from a bit of CS:GO but even that had a server browser in conjunction with that) so it remains a completely alien concept to me. The shitty p2p matchmaking kills any sense of community. I don't want these fleeting, hollow encounters with complete strangers that never ever talk to eachother. Not to mention that a good chunk of the game modes have such short matches that it feels like I'm spending more time in that stupid intermission screen, which ruins the pace of the gameplay and doesn't let me have continuous uninterrupted gameplay sessions.

How this bullshit came to be the standard "modern" online formula I will never understand.

The standard multiplayer is all dedicated servers, like it was in the alpha/beta. Try again.

In my opinion, MP was doomed since the beginning, it was just a matter of time till hackers found a way to ruin the MP, the fact that the MP was made by Certain Affinity, the negative press on MP beta, btw good fucking luck not getting in a server that doesn't have a aimbotter, wallhacker or anything like that, all thanks to the matchmaking system.

Edward850 said:

The standard multiplayer is all dedicated servers, like it was in the alpha/beta. Try again.

I haven't seen any option for selecting servers.

If they patch out the stupid loadout system and give the players a server browser, they'll literally eliminate 70% of all complaints.

GeckoYamori said:

I haven't seen any option for selecting servers.

I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. Matches start with an allocated node from their farm.

Um. So I wasn't paying attention and moved this to classic MP rather than 2016 MP.

That's my bad. I'm sure someone will notioce and move it back in a minute.

victorboris1 said:

If they patch out the stupid loadout system and give the players a server browser, they'll literally eliminate 70% of all complaints.

I'm not sure why you say this as if this is something that's almost certainly simple.