Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xegethra

Stopping GZDoom builder from auto updates.

Is there a way to stop this? It gets a bit obnoxious when the program crashes all of the time just because it wants to force an update on me. I am mid way through editing and it will crash on me, I'll close and reopen and lo and behold an update.

A few times it goes too far when I go to save a map but I can't because "It is being used by another program" Like Hell it is! This will result in me losing the map entirely...won't save have to close, back ups, they are life savers. I'm the type of person that saves after pretty much every edit anyway...so I never have to redo too much work...but it would be nice to not have the program close on me just because it is too eager to update. I would rather it not let me know until I reopen the editor under more friendly circumstances.

I've browsed through it but I can't find anything. And looking it up online I get every topic about different types of crashes....

In the Interface area of the Preferences window, make sure "check for updates at startup" is unchecked.

Xegethra said:

program crashes

Ever tried... you know... reporting them? I can't fix problems I'm not aware of.

Xegethra said:

force an update

Updater is launched only after you press the "Update" button. Also, the editor asks you if you want to save the map before closing.

Xegethra said:

It is being used by another program

Maybe... it is?

Xegethra said:

This will result in me losing the map entirely

There is "Save as" command. Try using it instead.

Xegethra said:

And looking it up online I get every topic about different types of crashes

The only recent one I can find is the GZDB thread at zdoom.org, which is kinda dedicated to those.

I think sometimes when you see a crash report, you can still press Ctrl+S and save everything.

MaxED said:

Ever tried... you know... reporting them? I can't fix problems I'm not aware of.

I have got a crash report but foolishly I can't remember where I saved it and the Windows search function is turning up nothing. If it happens again I'll put it up.

MaxED said:

Updater is launched only after you press the "Update" button. Also, the editor asks you if you want to save the map before closing.

Well, nearly every time the program crashes, the next time I open it up there is an update.

MaxED said:

Maybe... it is?

No, I open my WAD in one thing at a time. It only ever says this when spontaneously saving doesn't work.

MaxED said:

There is "Save as" command. Try using it instead.

I have tried but it will not save at all when this happens, which thankfully has only done so a couple of times. Usually I can save and make back ups normally.

MaxED said:

The only recent one I can find is the GZDB thread at zdoom.org, which is kinda dedicated to those.

I find navigating the internet for such things quite difficult, as more often than not I can't really find my problem.

I'll see if I can explain it better. So I'm making a map, I'm doing my thing and randomly it will crash, I can either quit or continue, if I continue then sometimes it won't, it'll just freeze up and I have to close, or I can continue but it'll just happen again. When the program is closed, and reopened there is an update waiting to be installed.

The other thing that happens doesn't really involve a crash so much as when pressing save, it won't at all. A box tells me the WAD is being used by another program and I can quit or continue again. Continuing doesn't solve anything as my WAD still won't save. Using save as creates no new save file. If I try saving over an old copy, that will be deleted, same if I try to overwrite the original. Either way the box keeps coming up. The map will be held in the editor until I close. I can't reopen the WAD because it no longer exists, it didn't save and it killed it off. Luckily I have back ups so not too much is lost and it has only happened a couple of times. The first time after this happened, GZDoom builder had an update, the second time it didn't.

But yeah if I find the error report or it happens again I'll put it up for you. It just seems to be when there is an update to be had, it'll go mad and I have to restart it. Rather than just not telling me until naturally closing and reopening.