Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooM_RO

So how far did you get on Ultra-Nightmare?

I got halfway through the Argent Tower...then I got crushed by one of those things on rails...

If you see IconOfSin's helmet in the Argent Tower don't forget to press "F" to pay your respect.

The foundry level. I can't make a serious attempt at Ultra-Nightmare until the crashing issue is fixed. But from what I've experienced, it's hard, but it's not THAT hard if you've beaten the game on regular Nightmare and you're used to how things work. If some dude did it in five hours there's hope for the rest of us.

Eh, I died on the foundry, zOmbies are annoying in Ultra nightmare. Got blind sided when I was chasing after imps. Worst idea ever.

I haven't done an honest run yet, I loaded it up, thought it was cool it skips the intro, and then purposely died on the first encounter so I could start again to see what the helmets looked like when dropped.
Thought it was cool it shows your name as well as what killed you.
I've just beaten nightmare, so my true first ultra nightmare run will be within a week.

Now the first time I played the game was on ultra violence, and the first time I died was a complete accident. Right after you get the chainsaw for the first time, there's the area up above where the shipping containers are moving through; I ended up getting caught on some geometry, and the container crushed me. Not even the red lasers killed me, but the level geometry did. Doh!
The funny thing about the campaign is, it feels harder in the first two levels than it does near the middle and end. You start fighting bigger demons, but you are also upgraded towards your play style so you are more able to take care of things. I think the only hard parts for me on nightmare was the hell guard boss fights and a few arena areas that just kept spawning in monsters like the lost souls that can nearly one shot kill you.

I did the first map to get the achievement, I probably won't do more. Nightmare feels a little too far on the scale of player fragility and enemy bullet sponginess. Shouldn't take 3-4 shotgun shells to down a single imp.

Nightmare in general feels really cheap and badly implemented. But, the enemies are a bit more agile, which is always welcome. But i dont like how they basically "eat" bullets, like AirRaid mentioned. I have not tested ultra nightmare just yet. But, i have finished the game on both ultra violent and nightmare. Ultra violent is more fun because the game feels more balanced.

I've been doing a playthrough on regular Nightmare, and after gatting used to the difficulty, I can't imagine going back down to Ultra-Violence again. I die every once in a while, but that's okay. Did exactly one UN run for the achievement and kept going. Made it to the end of the second level, where a possessed soldier blasted me with charged plasma while I was in the middle of using the chainsaw on another one. Nothing I could do about that one.

I made it to the first supply drone on my first try. The terrain there doesn't agree with me. Then died twice in the very first fight on the level. Nevermind that, I beat the first level. It seems like glory kill is not your friend on UNM, because both times I died in that brief moment when the kill animation is finished, but you can't move just yet.

Anyway, I'll probably play a bit more until I die and then be done with it. I've already spent 32 hours playing the campaign on UV finding all the secrets and doing all the weapon and rune challenges, so I'm pretty much fed up with the game for now.

AirRaid said:

Nightmare feels a little too far on the scale of player fragility and enemy bullet sponginess. Shouldn't take 3-4 shotgun shells to down a single imp.

magma86 said:

But i dont like how they basically "eat" bullets, like AirRaid mentioned.

Where do you guys get that from? Imps take one body shot from shotgun to be staggered and glory killed. A point-blank headshot with a shotgun or just one fully-charged pistol shot are instant kills, just like they were on UV. Possessed Soldiers take two shots from a shotgun and they're ready for a glory-kill. Once again, same as on UV.

Edit: I played some more and I must admit that imps do seem to be more resistant to damage. Or maybe shotgun range was nerfed. Anyway, you have to aim REALLY GOOD to one-shot an imp, it's way harder than it was on UV. They also do crazy amount of damage. Possessed soldiers don't seem to be any tougher though.

Completed it this weekend in about 4 hours.

Game is a lot of fun. Prolly beat ultra-nm a few more times before I am done with the game.

But it still cant compare with Doom 2 pwads =).

Killer5 said:

Completed it this weekend in about 4 hours.

4 hours? and probably missed every secret ;)

anyway, I just did the first level on ultra nightmare for the achievement and almost died because the early gameplay feels so slow without all the upgrades and runes and stuff lol

I don't think I'll try a serious ultra nightmare run anytime soon, doing the first playthrough on nightmare is enough for a while

Hey hey hey 100%'d the game up to the first hell map (minus the gauss secret on argent tower because I'm a scaredy cat =)). Have to get those weapons upgraded!

Well...I got killed when I returned to Argent Facility by the first caco...FML...

bout half way through the game, getting close to cyberdemon.

Nowhere near the time that ZeroMaster had in his world-record shattering ultranightmare run, and not without dying a few (well, several) times, but I'm confident I can complete the game on Ultranightmare.

Of course, the second half of the game was the hardest, so we'll see, I guess.

Beware of the arena in Kadingir from the beginning of the level where 2 Summoners spawn. Fighting 2 summoners, 6 Hell Knights, a couple of Imps and Hell Razers made me shake.

I'm still salty about that death. I will never forget that caco. I wish I could do all sorts of horrible things to it, like ripping its arms off and gouging its eyeball with them. FUCK THAT CACO.

Are there any console players that have completed it on Ultra Nightmare?

It's very hard, to the point where I can't believe people have managed to do it all without dying.

Wow I did it to get the achievement, but holy shit it's not easy. I don't think I would enjoy the game this way.

Dammit, I died in Lazarus Labs in the arena with the Mancubus on the surgical table! My previous record was the beginning of Argent Facility, so I'm pretty proud of myself, but it's still really annoying. I'm sure I will beat the game on UN some day...

If any of you get that far, look for a helmet with the name "Tracer" on it.

Finally made it into titan's realm! Untila fucking mancubus did his shockwave attack. FUCK THAT MANCUBUS!

Beat it the other day. Honestly the first half of the game is the most difficult. If you know what you're doing, the end game is a piece of cake once you get certain stuff.

Honestly after dying against a surprise face-to-face Cacodemon in "Argent Facility (Destroyed)" on my previous run, I was so pissed I felt like cheating, so what I did was, everytime I'd beat a level, use "Save&Exit", and then make a backup of that save.
Because I am pretty sure that if you die and lose your save, you can copy back the previous save onto it (just make sure to disable Steam cloud).
I haven't tried it, because I actually didn't die on that playthrough, but I am sure it works.

It's cheating though, but (if it works) I guess you can give it a try if you want to go for a "semi Ultra-Nightmare" where you start from the beginning of the level rather than from the beginning of the game.

it is technically cheating the game, since you're bending the rules of the game as you see fit. but i don't think anyone is honestly going to care if you did that anyway. play the game how you want to play it.