Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pablogener

[UPDATE]Living-Hell-v0.2.wad [WIP] an unending 'doom' experience

<check latest 'reply' to see updates>
I made a .wad that changes itself each time you enter it. Walls, ceilings and floors change their textures, lights, dripping liquids, a few props, everything changes. Monsters, weapons and powerups change (and get 'bigger' in each turn), and guess what: no health!
BooM-addicts stand back: this is done in 'UDMF' format. I added 400 lines of code to make it work. It's still unfinished, I'm planning to add:
* More props
* More monster entry spots
* Keep working on the game's overall difficulty balance (as of now, if you survive hell and exit the level with less than 50% health, there's a script that will fill up your health back to 50%, in a CoD-ish way)
* Keep embellishing it. On the inside, keep working on details, and on the outside create some kind of 'DooM 1' museum with rooms showing off stuff.

There are 4 entry ways to the level, each resulting in painting the level in 4 different 'themes':
* Tech (computers and wires)
* Cement (Cement wall, duh)
* Slime (Nukage and ick walls)
* Hell (blood, flesh and hellish walls)

There are two spots were the 'chosen weapon' spawns, and there is a 'cave-like' side of the level where a power-up spawns, and the same power-up spawns at a 'hellish gallery' found around far from the cave on the other corner of the level. When you spawn the first time, there's a script that will put you infront of a random 'entry way', when you survive (by killing all monsters inside) a sound is heard and a sign shows on screen informing you that you can exit the level. You can only go back outside by the same way you went in. When you do that, the entry way you just used is blocked and you can only go back into the level by another entry way, kind of forcing you to check out another 'theme'. See how many times you can go through hell without dying!!

I make levels that I think other's will find fun to play.

The .wad: https://www.opendrive.com/s/114081189_2gv4L/living-hell.wad

Screenies:

Spoiler

I've been wanting to do something somewhat similar to this; cool idea :)

I'll download and try this later.

Fonze said:

I've been wanting to do something somewhat similar to this; cool idea :)

I'll download and try this later.

Fonze, you're my biggest fan!! :D haha.
Thanks man, much appreciated.

Ok, so here's the latest version:

https://od.lk/d/114193237_DLFfE/living-hell-v0.2.wad

The code was improved with a few minor fixes. The overall progression is more linear and less random, but it ensures weapon/monster/powerups variety.
Also, from round 7 on there will be Lost Souls dwelling in the 'outside' corridor.

What's 'HUGE' about this update is a (yet unfinished...) 'DooM museum' section surrounding the south-east side of the map. Weapons, monsters and items are on display.

Screenies of the 'museum' section:

Spoiler

I know making this maps 'un-boom compatible' is not a smart choice, regarding the DW community which seems to be so boom-inclined, but I'm just too addicted to scripts. I'm not 'good' at either mapping, gameplay-enabling (be that 'creating interesting encounters with monsters'...), scripting, or anything, but I do love what I do, and I really expect someone else to at least check out what I do and comment on it.