Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Too much gibbing

Seriously. Gibs aren't even a big deal anymore because every time you kill something, odds are it is going to fall apart in chunks.

Just give me a goddamn body falling to the ground.

Most of Doom's bodies eviscerated themselves. I'm sure the over-active gore fans id were in the nineties would have done the same if they could technically acheive it. I have to wonder if mortal combat fatalities came up in a development meeting.

Deatheye said:

what does gibbing mean?

When the enemies chunkify into tinier pieces (unless I am wrong about that). Say you shoot them with a rocket, they get gibbed.

I sort of like the general way enemies may partially gib (portion of their body gets blown to pieces, or they loose a leg or arm) in this game, seems better to me than them just falling down like the weapons you use have no weight behind them.

I sorta agree with this sentiment. I very rarely see enemy bodies dropping dead without major injuries in the heist of battle, and the constant dismemberment can get a little tiresome. I sorta wish they'd have toned it down a little bit, or limited it to higher tier weapon projectiles and barrels to trigger the animations proper.

Curiously enough is that, as is, I find that enemy deaths that /don't/ involve gibbing are infinitely more satisfying and interesting, and actually make me go 'well damn, that must have hurt a lot'.

At least it's not Doom 3's shitty gore replacement. God I cringe everytime I remember it.

Deatheye said:

what does gibbing mean?

it's sharing with those you lobbe.

LittleBurger said:

When the enemies chunkify into tinier pieces (unless I am wrong about that). Say you shoot them with a rocket, they get gibbed.

I sort of like the general way enemies may partially gib (portion of their body gets blown to pieces, or they loose a leg or arm) in this game, seems better to me than them just falling down like the weapons you use have no weight behind them.

oh cool thank you :)

well I really like it when they fall apart - it's brutal, metal and just awesome - and kinda realistic, when I shoot them with rockets and lasers I want them to fall apart and explode

actually it's very satisfying for me when they explode and what not

Well, you are utilizing plasma and rifle rounds meant to be fired from anti-air machine guns. The only thing that doesn't really explain itself are the shotguns, but it can be assumed that they're similarly high-power as well.

It's not so much that what you're shooting at is fragile, it's that what you're shooting is absolutely devastating to flesh.

It doesn't seem that common to me. I really like the super nasty glory kills and the blood fountains that spray out the necks like a fire hose when you shoot their heads.

There are not enough complain threads, this is bad forum design :(

i expect classic doomworld threasd and i got forced comment highlights and buttons telling me where 2 go, instarefund, lingica is dead :(

GoatLord said:

How many "too much" or "not enough" threads are going to pile up?

Not enough.

HellVain said:

...well...I for one am satisfied with the return of gibs. Loved them on the quake series.

Oh no, gibs are great when used properly.

But gibbing from a shotgun blast of any kind or from any regular bullets for that matter is too often. Makes it insignificant.

Arctangent said:

I think it goes something like "gib." No idea why, though!

I mean pronounce. My bad!

Orchid87 said:

I mean pronounce. My bad!

With a hard G, it sounds like Jib.

In fact, google/youtube quickly tells you the answer here.

(On another note, who has the time to burn making videos like that? I can understand te usefulness blah blah, but that's not even remotely fun video editing!)

It's not like all Demons go into total Gibs. A Heavy Gauss Rifle Siege shot can blow an arm off a Baron or the legs off a Revenant. That's not over-doing it. If you just want falling bodies then kill with the Heavy Assault Rifle and Pistol.

We should be thankful that shooting an enemy doesn't result in them instantly turning into skeletons while their brains cartoonishly pop out.

They seem to have made a unnecessary strong focus on the whole execution gore aspect of the game, when Doom should be so much more. Not that it isn't, but it's quite clear where they've spent most of the time it seems, at least when it comes to fighting mechanics.

Almonds said:

At least it's not Doom 3's shitty gore replacement. God I cringe everytime I remember it.

Was that the brain & spine flops?

Also, I wish they've kept the corpses, even if it's a technical thing it shouldn't be a problem for PC at least. One of the complaints of Doom 3.

Yeah, most people pronounce it "gibs", while the proper pronunciation is "jibs". Weird that :D

I'm with TracesOfSpades here.
Gibbing with a normal shotgun feels weird.
The chaingun, HAR: ok, since it basically chips away the enemy.
SSG: nuff said really. So many shells all at once. Cool

I like my Shotgun to be like "shoot. Falls to the ground/flies a few feet. Dies". If I want to gib, I use the rocket launcher.

GoatLord said:

How many "too much" or "not enough" threads are going to pile up?

Well then... you know what this forum needs? A couple of "just right" threads here, a few of them there... ;)

Xfing said:

Yeah, most people pronounce it "gibs", while the proper pronunciation is "jibs". Weird that :D

Pronounced it "gibs" for the last 20 years, "jibs" just doesn't sound right. Never once heard anyone pronounce it differently, even when Romero and Carmack insist on it.

(Same goes for "gif" but let's not go there.)

I always say gibs as "jibs"

But I say gif as "G I F".
Sounds weird to say it as a word.