Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

Someone attempted 100,000 Revenants in Snap Map

Turns out there's actually 64 Revenants and 21 empty room only 12 spawning...

Anyways, this video alone actually highlights one of the biggest problems with Snap Map since it shows why that Slaughtermaps under it are practically impossible.

Unless id/Bethesda releases a real map editor with proper modding tools and even releasing the game's source code itself for us PC users of course, this problem is only going to persist which will 'doom' the lifespan of this game if today's id and Bethesda think this is the best thing they can come up with, I guess they really hadn't look into the actual Doom Community to take notes from it to see how modding really works to uphold the game's longevity.

It'd be nice to have a higher limit for regular run and gun maps too. Or some better behind-the-scenes ways of managing it. Like de-spawning enemies from early in the map if need be so you can spawn new enemies. Had to jump through some hoops doing that kind of thing manually, and it's still a bit wonky.

I do like SnapMap though, it's fun stuff, and I think you can have a fast and furious encounter without dozens of enemies onscreen. But it would be nice to have more flexibility.

VentedPennies said:

The original doom couldn't handle 1k revs, so this is really no different. Give it 10 years of mods and then maybe.

I beg to differ, we have unlimited resources today than then in comparison. Sure 100K might be asking much but 64 is low by any measure. And that's not even all at the same time.

That someone is also the one who made the 100,000 Revenants in Doom Builder. MarphyBlack aka Revenant100.

I think its safe to say that we should make conpletely fresh creation on SnapMap instead Classic Doom oriented ones (seriously, 64 with only 12 spawning, compared to 100000)

My point, which I failed to communicate, was that 100k revs is not an original doom map and is not possible with the original doom engine.

Ossi said:

I beg to differ, we have unlimited resources today than then in comparison. Sure 100K might be asking much but 64 is low by any measure. And that's not even all at the same time.

To be fair, SnapMap can have a lot more than 64 monsters total. My map for example has over 140 monsters (had 170 at one point). And that said it was only 25% monsters, 63% memory. Most of my monsters were spawned "custom group encounters", but maybe 12 or so were placed directly on the map. So I guess you could have at least something like 500 monsters in SnapMap offhand, I'm sure somebody knows the exact number.

I notice placing one Revenant takes up 1.56% of the 100% of monsters available, as does any other demon. Now that does mean 64... but that's only one way to do it. You can make a custom demon encounter spawn when you enter a room/module for example.

A custom demon encounter with 1 Revenant counts as 0% monsters but 7.17% memory. But here's the thing, a custom demon encounter with 12 Revenants also counts as 0% monsters and 7.17% memory.

But get this, I just made a second custom enemy encounter of another 12 revenants when you enter another room. This only raised memory to 7.25%, an increase of only 0.08% for 12 more Revenants.

Long story short, you can have hundreds and hundreds of Revenants in your SnapMap.

I see, I haven't had much experience in SnapMap so far so thanks for the break down. I'm glad it isn't just 64 full stop.

Lol that thumbnail and the attempt, gotta give credit for trying though, it's a shame he couldn't put 100 000 Revies in Snap Map.
But netherless, it's one of the maps that i'll defenitely play once i get a PS4 and DOOM after i finish the campaign that is.

PsychoGoatee said:

To be fair, SnapMap can have a lot more than 64 monsters total. My map for example has over 140 monsters (had 170 at one point). And that said it was only 25% monsters, 63% memory. Most of my monsters were spawned "custom group encounters", but maybe 12 or so were placed directly on the map. So I guess you could have at least something like 500 monsters in SnapMap offhand, I'm sure somebody knows the exact number.

I notice placing one Revenant takes up 1.56% of the 100% of monsters available, as does any other demon. Now that does mean 64... but that's only one way to do it. You can make a custom demon encounter spawn when you enter a room/module for example.

A custom demon encounter with 1 Revenant counts as 0% monsters but 7.17% memory. But here's the thing, a custom demon encounter with 12 Revenants also counts as 0% monsters and 7.17% memory.

But get this, I just made a second custom enemy encounter of another 12 revenants when you enter another room. This only raised memory to 7.25%, an increase of only 0.08% for 12 more Revenants.

Long story short, you can have hundreds and hundreds of Revenants in your SnapMap.

If you use a repeater you can actually trigger that Custom Encounter indefinitely, thereby actually creating a map with infinite Revenants.

All you need is the same Music from nuts.wad (Kashmir) and you're golden.

Except the 13 monster limit.