Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SCvoid

Keeping weapon after death

I know I saw somewhere on snap map an option to keep weapons after death, in order to respawn with them. I can't find it for the life of me. Can anyone help me out with this one? Still gonna look for it, if I find it, I'll post an answer to my own question for reference to anyone else with this problem.

I checked his video out. while it does show how to respawn with a certain weapon, it doesn't explain how to keep the actual weapons that were in your inventory when killed. I'm using his logic chain idea to try and figure it out. so far I cant figure out how to do it.
the only thing I can think of, is to create a Boolean for each weapon, then when another weapon is picked up, set the previous weapon Boolean to false. that way when you die, the last weapon picked up will be returned to your inventory along with the shotgun.
now if I had 2 picked up weapons and no shotgun, that's where I come to a wall. how do I tell it to respawn with both picked up weapons and no shotgun?

I have made an error when it comes to keeping your weapons in that video and I will amend it in the future.

When you choose to keep your inventory in the gameplay settings this actually does keep your current weapons (regardless of pickup order).

My mistake was that I defaulted to the start loadout on each spawn. The reality is that you only want the base loadout given to the player on the very first start. Every checkpoint later on will be fine by keeping the inventory alone.

So the actual logic chain you need is this:

The clue is in the relay node. The only reason its in there is because it has the option "Run once". If you set that to True it will only run the first time the player spawns. All the other times there will already be an inventory to speak of which will be kept.

This means you also don't need to store any values for weapons you did or did not pick up making the overal proces much easier.

Sorry for the confusion. After reading your post it suddenly hit me I had made a mistake with my logic chain.

Hope this helps you and I did not derail you too much. :)

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

PS
I also republished it so you can find it under the same code with fixed logic chain.

Awesome. I'll check it out when I get home. This is the last thing I need before I release my first map. It's a 1-2 player campaign map with each player scoring against each other. It should be awesome.

Cool I tried it and it works. I just made a little tweak to it. This is what I did:

Map > set active > gameplay settings
Set keep inventory on respawn to true.

Then:

Map > on map started > signal > relay > on signaled > give load out > player load out
Relay was set to true like you said.

It worked perfectly. Thanks for the help! I appreciate it!

Just finished my first map. Damn, that was fun! It took a bit of learning, but I think it's pretty clean for a first time.

It's a full length campaign map. Solo or co-op competitive! Quite a few boss battles, 20+ rooms, over 150 demons! It's objective based, and also has a few secrets included.

Give it a try and let me know how yall like it. Any criticism would be great, leading me to have an improved 2nd map! Enjoy it... or not.

Search code for it is here: VW6D3VWB

SCvoid said:

Map > on map started > signal > relay > on signaled > give load out > player load out

Thank you for all the feedback. I am still learning as well and its great to refine and simplify the logic chains to their bare essentials. This not only keeps things simple and maintainable but also lowers resource usage which means you have more to spend on other stuff.

With that in mind I think it was a great idea to have the default loadout triggered by map started. However, since map started only triggers once by default (your map only starts once after all) you don't need the relay anymore! :) The only reason it was there in my chain was because I had it linked to player spawned which can happen more then once.

So feel free to remove the relay from your chain. It should still work. I really like how we distilled this down. I think ill make a new video altogether, a little shorter and more to the point, with the new things I have learned and delete the old one.

Ill also give your map a playthrough! :)

Ok this was, by far, one of the better maps ive played. It bugged out regretfully so I could not finish it but still. If I could have finished it this would have been the first map that I would actually upvote.

Short summary of the good
- You emphasize interactive panels through lighting or POI
- You give messages to tell the player whats going on
- You set mission goals
- Continuous smooth monster encounters (fuck yes, finally a map thats playable)
- You apply a great amount of dress up to prefabs even changing navigational flow
- You spend time on creating custom voice messages
- Checkpoints that work!
- Megahealth secret was cool although not marked as a secret
- The little parcour section was great! (use lulls like this to avoid combat fatigue)

Short summary of the not so good
- Dress up of prefabs is great, but don't go too nuts or monsters will get navigational issues. Case in point, pinky on stairs cant reach player, keeps tripping.
- Megahealth secret was not marked as secret (use a box trigger and link it to the map object as a secret)
- The "lockdown" with a mancubus and hellknight is really, really lame. Remember the goal is not to kill the player, the goal is to give the player a nice experience. Not only is the situation greatly unfair (there is a difference between unfair and challenging) but its also a situation where knowing this is going to happen is the only way to survive it. This is extremely poor design imho, the first playthrough is always the most fun. Make all encounters doable without having to know upfront what is going to happen. While the checkpoint system did work it was highly, highly unsatisfying.
- After you get the assignment for retrieving data logs you enter a hall with armor thats really poorly placed and clips into eachother (looks bad).
- The parcour section was awesome but looked really, really poor. Use player blocking volumes instead! Not only can the player grab the ledges of these (which is great) but you can resize them so you can just draw a pillar under your platforms and it will look rad!
- After the parcour the monster encounter did not enable the panel so I could not continue.

I did die to those monsters and had to redo the parcour before I could finish them all of but that should not lead to problems with the counter.

Conclusion: this is actually the best snapmap (apart from the ones that came with snapmap upon release) i've played so far and, if I had been able to finish it, the first one I would have given an upvote (I refrained from voting now).

Keep up the good work! Your map was refreshing! :)

Cool. Thanks for the info.
The pinky was tripping up, but I thought it was fixed. I'll check that out.
The lockdown with the mancubus and he'll night is a bit hard, I'll change it to spawn them in a different location instead of popping up behind the player. There's actually a gauss rifle that pops up during the battle, but is hidden on top of pipes next to the stack of boxes.
After the data logs, was it actual armor pieces clipping behind a computer desk? Or the hallway design that was clipping?
I just learned about the player blocking volumes after I published it. Going to change those asap.
As for the panel not activating, I did had a problem with that, so I added a counter to activate it. I think I'll just change it to a delay just in case there's a problem with the monster spawns.
You made it through the whole thing pretty much, just missed out on the last boss battle. I'll make the changes and re publish it.
Thanks for the suggestions! It helps to have a different perspective from someone who hasn't test run the map 15 times!
I'll post it here when I fix the bugs.
Thanks!

By the way, did you happen to find the secret room or the rocket launchers?

Also, what didn't you like about the checkpoints? I'll have time to rework those as well. Was it that they spawned too far apart at times?

SCvoid said:

Also, what didn't you like about the checkpoints? I'll have time to rework those as well. Was it that they spawned too far apart at times?

Nono the checkpoints are fine. I was just pointing out that in the context of the mancubus and hellknight lockdown having a checkpoint does not solve the issue. You essentially lock the player into a disadvantageous situation where they just do some damage > die > respawn in same situation > repeat until encounter is beaten.

SCvoid said:

After the data logs, was it actual armor pieces clipping behind a computer desk? Or the hallway design that was clipping?

It was the hallway.

Alright, I revamped the map and I think I fixed all the problems you found with it. If you wanna give it another shot, you can find it at: HGWBB3UN

I added in the secret notifications, and a few other things. Also changed up the mancubus hellknight battle.
Those 30 second counters that pop up in 2 different rooms are small "hints". If you kill the creatures before the counter is done, it'll spawn a rocket launcher. Really helps for the final boss battle. Which reminds me. Don't stop moving in there! It was good enough to keep my adrenaline pumping when I finished it!

Good on you for fixing some stuff. The mancubus fight is better now. Armor still spawns on top of itself (like it spawned twice) and the same goes for the rocketlauncher. There are some small other issues as well but they all pale compared to this:

When I finished the parcour section I ran into a red door that I had no keycard for. Since the parcour is one-way only I could not go back to find it. Why did you allow me to progress without such an essential item in the first place? This means your map is still broken, I still cannot finish it.

:|

Damn. I knew I should have put a light or a message for the bag. Before the red door, there is a duffel bag on the ground. If you walk next to it, a message pops up that says "open bag". It's in there. Sorry for the confusion!

SCvoid said:

Cool I tried it and it works. I just made a little tweak to it. This is what I did:

Map > set active > gameplay settings
Set keep inventory on respawn to true.

Then:

I did it this way and lost my 2nd initial load out gun and my grenade. Did it off he player proxy like he originally coded and it worked fine.