Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

So I take it the ending implied... (SPOILERS!)

It seemed that the DOOM Marine wasn't exactly a earthly-marine, if he was ever a marine at all, but rather a great warrior of his homeworld in the distant past (maybe from another universe or dimension).

It makes me wonder if any of the hell levels were actually of Hell itself, or the homeworld that the DOOM guy was from that long succumbed to whatever great battle they fought with the demons, and unfortunately lost. You can clearly see the ruins of great cities and monuments long weathered, and of course demonic constructions and rule long since. As if hell "claimed" it and spread throughout the lands terraforming it like a demonic cancer.

I know DOOM 3 hinted at a "great warrior that wielded the soul cube", but even the DOOM movie (*cringe*) implied a past Martian civilization with superhuman abilities that fell victim to the demons (the alien mummy shielding it's child in horrorific expression).

So i'd have to say that Doom guy as a space grunt from Earth is no more... unless they are just playing this from a different perspective in that this tells the tale of the ancient warrior, and the space marines are different story from the same series of events?

In the movie, both the ancient civilization and the Marines co-exist in the story, with the exception there's no entrapped ancient warrior that they unleash, as the ancient extra-chromosome human-like alien race is presumed extinct?

I'm a little confused on how this guy connects with prior DOOM series, if he does at all. Thoughts?

Hell is a planet at least, or maybe a whole new dimension, because you can see a heavily cracked moon/other planet in hell.

RobbingSnake said:

Hell is a planet at least, or maybe a whole new dimension, because you can see a heavily cracked moon/other planet in hell.

Hmmm. Yeah I remember seeing that, but was that red planet in the earlier hell level sky map also visible in the later Argent D'nur maps?

Or were they two separate places? (Argent D'nur & Hell that is)

I thought it implied Hell imprisoned the original Doom Guy in a tomb to stop his ruthless crusade. He was then later awakened by a refurbished UAC, kinda like how Umbrella keeps picking it's self up by the bootstraps.

He could be the same Doom Marine, from the original Doom. They way i look at it.
Doom 1, then Doom 2, some time later he is called back in Action to fight the Demons from Doom 64. At the end of Doom 64 he sacrifices and gets trapped in Hell. While he is in hell he just kill demons non stop, until he gets trapped in the tomb.
Years laters he is found, the key here is how many years? Could be 5,10, 100, 1000. By now he is a legend both for Earth and Hell.

I think Argent D'nur actually had the same fate as Deimos did in originals. It became The Well and part of Hell. It could be that the original "Hell" was destroyed with the demise of the titans (the progenitors of demons). And Argent D'nur was corrupted by the betrayer and Hell was revived.

Wild Dog said:

He could be the same Doom Marine, from the original Doom. They way i look at it.
Doom 1, then Doom 2, some time later he is called back in Action to fight the Demons from Doom 64. At the end of Doom 64 he sacrifices and gets trapped in Hell. While he is in hell he just kill demons non stop, until he gets trapped in the tomb.
Years laters he is found, the key here is how many years? Could be 5,10, 100, 1000. By now he is a legend both for Earth and Hell.

So, that basically means Doomguy destroyed the Titans while he was In Hell?

Is Earth ever mentioned in any of the PDAs anywhere, or by any of the characters specifically?

I was just thinking about the original twist ending to the DOOM movie that they changed later in production. You see, originally, they named the PLANET in the movie "Olduvai" and kept it very very vague... Until the end. Where there was a pullback shot that showed this planet was in fact Earth, and the "lost race of Olduvai" was the human race.

Nothing quite fits or sticks there, but I thought it interesting, what if Argent D'nur was actually Earth.

Tritnew said:

So, that basically means Doomguy destroyed the Titans while he was In Hell?

One of the Slayer's testaments specifically says that he did that, yes.

OpenMaw said:

Is Earth ever mentioned in any of the PDAs anywhere, or by any of the characters specifically?

Yes. Samuel Hayden repeatedly tells you that the Argent Energy Filters that you are destroying single handedly solved the energy crisis on Earth.

OpenMaw said:

"Olduvai"

Old Duvet? Yeah, not surprised they dropped that one.

I don't believe this game ties in with the original Dooms. It's just a reboot. Sure he destroyed the Titan/s like you do in the classic games but I believe this is in an alternative timeline, possibly before UAC even existed. Whether or not he had an futuristic suit of armor and modern weapons since the beginning is my question but apparently some tablets etc suggest he did, or a variation at least.

So I'm going to chalk it up to this... DOOM Slayer isn't necessarily human (at least not from earth), nor is he attempting to save earth or the human race. He's a mighty warrior from a ancient civilization that nearly defeated the hordes of Hell, only to have his own home world succumb to the invasion only moments before he could save them. He was captured and entombed in the sarcophagus by the demons, and kept in the heaviest guarded realm of hell.

In fact, he may even perceive earths humanity to be more sinister than hell itself... which is why he is actively destroying the UAC complex as he battles the hordes. The fact that we deprived our own planet of all its energy resources, and attempted to exploit hell's natural resources for our own use, as well as actively attempt to "weaponize" and enslave the demon race makes us not only very foolish and self-centered, but equally as dangerous as the demons themselves.

"Hell" may only be what the UAC and humanity interpret this new world as... bearing resemblance to the religious and biblical description of hades and demons, but it may just be another planet entirely that bares only a striking resemblance, in both atmosphere and lifeforms (instead of supernatural religious forces, they may just be extremely hostile extraterrestrial beings). In fact, while some levels do take place on this "Hell" planet, the later levels like Argent D'nur (which in itself must be the name of his home city) take place on doomslayers own homeworld, which has long since become overrun and corruptively transformed by the demons when it fell to them eons ago.

Doom Slayer is only concerned about vengeance for his people and his homeworld, and bring about and end for the tyrannical reign of "Hell" and it's forces (or anyone dumb enough like earthlings/UAC who would open a portal to exploit them).

Think of it like the film "APOCALYPTO"... DOOM slayer is villager who's entire village is slain and overrun by the Mayan empire (Hell), they capture him, but he escapes, the Mayan soldiers actively hunt him down, but in the background they fail to realize the Spanish Conquestadors are arriving on the coast to enslave them, take their resources and wipe them out (the UAC), and in the end, he gets some justice, but never truly escapes the threat.

Doom guy, however, is a actual human from Earth that is a space marine/security force that fights the demons on the base in a parallel story.

They are, however, two separate beings that coexist in the same story, but fighting two separate agendas.

Hell is it's own dimension that devours/engulfs other worlds. Argent D'Nur was one of the unfortunate victims during the first age.

Buckshot said:

"Hell" may only be what the UAC and humanity interpret this new world as... bearing resemblance to the religious and biblical description of hades and demons, but it may just be another planet entirely that bares only a striking resemblance, in both atmosphere and lifeforms (instead of supernatural religious forces, they may just be extremely hostile extraterrestrial beings). In fact, while some levels do take place on this "Hell" planet, the later levels like Argent D'nur (which in itself must be the name of his home city) take place on doomslayers own homeworld, which has long since become overrun and corruptively transformed by the demons when it fell to them eons ago.

And what would hell be in reality other than another dimension filled with hostile extra-dimensional beings? Even in a religious interpretation heaven and hell are nothing more than extra-dimensional realms filled with extra-dimensional beings.

OpenMaw said:

I was just thinking about the original twist ending to the DOOM movie that they changed later in production. You see, originally, they named the PLANET in the movie "Olduvai" and kept it very very vague... Until the end. Where there was a pullback shot that showed this planet was in fact Earth, and the "lost race of Olduvai" was the human race.

Nothing quite fits or sticks there, but I thought it interesting, what if Argent D'nur was actually Earth.

What you seek is in the codex entries. And yes, earth is mentioned. Argent D'Nur is described in codex entries as well.

anomalousauthor said:

And what would hell be in reality other than another dimension filled with hostile extra-dimensional beings? Even in a religious interpretation heaven and hell are nothing more than extra-dimensional realms filled with extra-dimensional beings.

You're probably right, though science usually doesn't explain dimensions & universes as nearly as being akin to the metaphysical, divine/ethereal, or supernatural phenomena as religion would have us believe them to be.

Where science may seem unreal, their suggestions are more applicable to the boundaries of sci-fi (even if exagerrated), while religion more to fantasy & magic realms.

I thought the story was a joke, so trying to interpret a timeline or "what's canon?" seems futile to me. By joke I mean like, intentionally trying to illicit humor from the player with how silly the plot was.

For example, over the years when people would try and talk to me about doom as a realistic gory death simulator, I'd argue at how colorful and silly and cartoonish the story and artwork were. Then the doomslayer narrator in doom4 being literally a cartoon villain (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1j7lyRnxVE), I thought that was damn funny ;-P

Dragonfly said:

50% of the game's setting is in UAC facilities.

I described my point poorly. What I meant is when he destroyed the IoS it wasn't during the Doom 2 period that we know. Doom 2016 is an alternate Doom story where Doom guy possibly destroyed the Titan a long time ago, possibly before Humans traveled beyond of Earth. After so many years later, UAC was born and grew to a powerful mega-corporation and released the Demon Slayer from his prison.

Well... DOOM Isn't really suppose to be taken seriously, I would call the Classic DOOM storylines to be half-serious, think of an 80's/70's Scifi Action Movie that's trying to be serious, but really, It's goofy In nature (think of the thumbs up In Terminator 2).

Doom started out very serious initially.

It's just the concept in and of itself is ludicrous. One marine basically exterminates a country worth of demons and single handedly stops their invasion.

Buckshot:

They are the same "guy", he is angry and wants to break everything while in 1 and 2 he seems different? Of course
In Doom 1 he was just another Space Marine working with the UAC, in Doom 2 he was fighting for the dead bunny and the world. In Doom 64 he chose to sacrifices for the World sometime later he gets trapped in the tomb.
Sometime later he is released from that Tomb and what he finds? That UAC didn´t learn nothing from the past and they are exploiting Hell once again, worst of all they put an Assaultron from Fallout(Blast Door are made by VaultTec....) in charge of the complex.....
Wouldn´t be you mad that all you have done in the past was for nothing at all?
I Would, i would destroy everything that belongs to UAC or HELL.

OpenMaw said:

Doom started out very serious initially.

It's just the concept in and of itself is ludicrous. One marine basically exterminates a country worth of demons and single handedly stops their invasion.

Wild Dog said:

Buckshot:

They are the same "guy", he is angry and wants to break everything while in 1 and 2 he seems different? Of course
In Doom 1 he was just another Space Marine working with the UAC, in Doom 2 he was fighting for the dead bunny and the world. In Doom 64 he chose to sacrifices for the World sometime later he gets trapped in the tomb.
Sometime later he is released from that Tomb and what he finds? That UAC didn´t learn nothing from the past and they are exploiting Hell once again, worst of all they put an Assaultron from Fallout(Blast Door are made by VaultTec....) in charge of the complex.....
Wouldn´t be you mad that all you have done in the past was for nothing at all?
I Would, i would destroy everything that belongs to UAC or HELL.

Just think how much history Doom Guy has just between Doom 64 and Doom 2016. Apparently he's "ancient" he was probably fighting them for thousands of years, making friends with other warriors possibly from other dimensions and times (the templar dudes, etc) along the way. THEN he's trapped in a tomb for god knows how long, probably thousands of years, suffering in silence. He's got every right to be fucking pissed and not the "same".

They can easily just continue from Doom 2016 and reference to those times, or they can make a prequel. They can do so much with this.

Shit, maybe at some point he got out of Hell to start a new life (Doom 3), then finds out some shits going down on Mars again. Maybe he time traveled. People say Doom 3 was a complete reboot, but even then there is talk of an ancient warrior in Hell (and his tomb is there too...in Doom 3.). So is the Doom 3 guy the same guy? I'd like to think he is, maybe from an alternate dimension or something.

id Software themselves probably just making up bullshit as they go along and will just stitch it together with time and dimension traveling.

EDIT: For anyone who may have read my post before this edit and it didn't make sense...I corrected it, lol.

That's what I'm thinking. If Id really wants to make DOOM 64 canon, they can. Besides, that game was supervised by them anyways (at least when Carmack was still In the company and all).