//========================================

Post of the 1.01.5 release (old)

** Finally out **
In the edgiest of edgy dates. [/size]
Celebrating 66 days since the release of Doom(4), D4D has arrived on the 6+6+6 of July.
Edgy

Bringing weapons we loved from Doom4, and adapting monsters into a classic style, this is the result of about 8 weeks of hard work and the dedication of 3 people: DBThanatos, Major Cooke & Michaelis

We proudly bring [size=150]Doom(4) for Doom[/size].

Our own tribute to a fantastic game, that despite being awesome, left us wanting more! So, we ported it back to it's ancestor. And that's what we have here.

** IMPORTANT INFO! **

This mod uses a whole bunch of custom options. It's highly recommended to install this is a fresh folder, since this mod is gonna work a lot with custom bindings which might not play along nicely with the regular bindings in other mods

Q. Can I run it with brutal doom?
A. No. "Brutal doom" and "Doom(4) for Doom" are both gameplay mods that cannot be stacked on top of each other. Same goes for any gameplay mod.
Nor should you add other gameplay mods, like monster randomizers or Qtilt. If you add custom monsters on top of this, you'll get almost no credits (currency), special effects (stun and whatnot) and special rewards. If you add Qtilt, footsteps and whatnot, it will break several of the D4D effects.

• YOU MUST BIND YOUR D4D KEYS: There's quite a few. Go under Options -> D4D mod options -> Customize Keybinds
  • For better view of the D4 reticles, disable your standard crosshair
  • Set your particles to the higest possible: The upgrade systems uses a TON of particles. Go to Options -> D4D mod options -> Display and set the "Max amount of particles"
  • There's an entire file with information of what does each D4D option does. READ IT!
  • You can switch to standar doom monsters instead of the custom D4D ones. Go to . Go to Options -> D4D mod options -> Monster type to change it
  • This mod is NOT easy. Ultra violence is Ultra violence despite looking like it's in place of "Normal". The next skills are harder, for real. Dont come to complain "Nightmare is too hard" ;)
  • For the love of god. After buying a weapon mod, make sure to equip it!

** Downloads **

Download D4D v1.01.5 (with several issues fixed) HERE. If it asks you to sign in to download, just select another mirror. We have no control over this.

You must download the latest version of the GZDoom:
Download Gzdoom HERE

Spoiler

Hope it will have many On/Off toggles included. There are many things i love about this but quite a few that I don't.

I've been playing this since D4D v1.01.2 religiously. So I'm confident you're on the right track. I posted a few suggestions on Moddb for further updates a while back. Hope that they have been considered for V2.

Major Cooke said:

To receive better feedback, it's best to post on the zdoom thread in that regard. I haven't checked the moddb page in forever.

Fair enough, I don't have an account on the zdoom forums. So I might as well suggest it here while I have a dev on the hook :)

I would love to see the double jump as a buyable upgrade and sv_aircontrol 1 as a addition to that (movement upgrades basically). Just to give the credits more purpose rather than just buying random crates after you got all upgrades.

I've noticed that the SSG has been nerfed after v1.01.4. Probably due to the dual wielding upgrade. I would rather have the dual wielding disabled and the SSG have it's original power back. Feels wrong when it takes 2 shots to kill a pinky demon. I play with classic monsters btw. Not sure how the HP on the custom enemies is. Although, it's no biggy. I can always edit the dmg value with slade.

SSG was re-buffed again. You can now toggle DT on and off with the mod switch key and another upgrade was added to it to replace DT as a purchaseable item. And air control? Well... Wait for v2. ;)

Just a few more days!

Pedro VC said:

This is great. When people will start to convert the maps?

Not for a while I bet. In the meantime we have megawads like Whispers of Satan and stuff to play with. There's also a version of Hell on Earth starter pack being worked on to work with this, so hold on until that's out.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

What is so special about Whispers of Satan?

It goes pretty well with D4D in my opinion.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Really? Then I definitely ought to check it out.

I am getting bored of playing vanilla Doom 2 levels anyway.

There's also Maps of Chaos which is interesting as well. I suggest the Hardcore version, unless if you like a lot of challenge, then go with Overkill.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Overkill is the hardest one?

Yep. Good luck with the first map. It was hard enough on HC

Major Cooke said:

Doesn't crash for us. Also make sure you're on GZDoom 2.2 release.

I'm using 2.3, is that good? Or should I go back to 2.2 specifically?

It was made for 2.2 release build.

Soon we'll upgrade it, but right now there's a textures bug in GZDoom in terms of hud messages and using of TEXTURES images that makes it all goofy.

Right, I played it for a bit and I have some feedback.

First and foremost: the weapons are upgrades are really cool. Good job!

Most of the sprites are great but some, such as the Baron and Knight look a bit out of place. Imp is the best.

The particle effects need a MAJOR makeover. They are not only incredibly obnoxious but they also bring my PC that has a GTX 970 to a grinding halt. Kind of ironic that Doom 2016 doesn't but this does. Besides, I can barely see what's in front of me because of them.

My advice? Don't attempt to shoehorn every feature from 2016 into 1993. It should be an ADAPTATION! This ties in to the particle effects too. I can see how hard you tried to make them exactly like in 2016 but they look out of place because because they have higher resolution compared to everything else, which breaks CONSISTENCY! The mod should ideally be a marriage between Doom 1993 and Doom 2016. Shoving everything from 2016 to 1993 doesn't work the same way making a 1:1 copy of a 1993 map in 2016 doesn't

This goes to any gameplay mod but ideally, the mod should eventually have a mission pack. I know you really tried to remake the 1st level of Doom 2016 but I find that to be kind of pointless. Here is what I would do:

It would be right before Doom 2016. You play as another marine helping Dr. Hayden recover the Slayer's Tomb.

It would have 6 missions (that means half of Doom 2016). 3 UAC missions and 3 Hell missions of which 2 are reinterpretations of Doom 2016 levels. Even then, something should be changed...like the player starts somewhere else in the map. The mod ultimately culminates in Kadingir Sanctum as you battle your way to the Slayer's tomb.

Major Cooke said:

It was made for 2.2 release build.

Soon we'll upgrade it, but right now there's a textures bug in GZDoom in terms of hud messages and using of TEXTURES images that makes it all goofy.

I can't find any 2.2 versions. Link?