Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
hardcore_gamer

The key to creativity: lighting and props

I know this sounds kinda obvious but I feel it should be pointed out considering the countless snapmaps I have played so far that exist of nothing but empty rooms with monsters in them.

So basically lighting appears to be everything when it comes to making areas feel different from each other. Almost all of my rooms use the dark theme and then I use custom lighting to create the mood by hand. A combination of colored lights at select locations and a few flickering lights here and there make all the difference in the world.

And props can be used in creative ways to alter the layout of a room as well. In a way I almost feel a bit sad cus I can't help but feel that all of the goods maps that people spend hours working on will be drowned in the giant sea of bad snapmaps that casual makers throw out in 5 min :(

to your first points, yup, and that takes alot of hard work, but with that hard work we'll get quicker. as for the sea of garbage, thats why we've an upvote system, The cream will float, and with social media just drop a map code on here or facebook and if it's good It'll pick up speed. lighting and props are just half of it though, there is still flow, game design, monster placment and cordination. You can make a super well lite map but if it's basically just a hallway with classic AI conductor it's going to suck ass XD. Sadly most of the snapmaps I'v seen are insainly liniere. I'm working on some aesthetic lighting tutorials to make some really cool effects.

I actually kind of disagree. I find the lighting effects which put filters over everything are less enjoyable than the default lighting. And most classic Doom WADs are relatively bright (or at least seem that way on standard GZDoom lighting).

Now if we were talking about classic DOOM wads, shading is a big deal. But for SnapMap, I think the default lighting is fine and looks better than any of the alternatives. Though adding little light effects here and there is cool.

The key to creativity is whatever speaks to you personally. I'd rather play a SnapMap where every encounter is custom and thoroughly tested for fun, than one that has lots of props and lighting effects. But it's all personal taste.

Some of the alternatives make FX lights pop (warming) and some of them make FX lights have larger contrasts between dark/light intensities (dark).

Most of them are garbage though, but I assumed lighting meant custom FX placements, not the module's atmosphere.

The lighting effects have their uses But I was talking about spotlights and point lights, you can also make lighting with other fx like fire and plasma because they illuminate, by using these things you can set a different color tone and cool effects and set contrast to a degree, thus vastly changing the tone of a prefab.. Couple this with use of the more subtle filters (like kiwi) and you can give a normal room a toxic refinery feel very quickly. the fx can be well used depending on different prefabs, and sadly if you'v a prefab you want as one of the more crazy fx you'll have to work your way on fx's that'l fade into that through the other prefabs leading to that point. Again I'm working on aesthetic tutorials.(edit)pro tip, wanna make a dark map but light it up a bit at the same time? use fire because you can stack them and use that to illuminate what you want, or without module fx you'll wan't to cover the rooms source light with a prop then do your own lighting. (Edit2) that last method kinda sucks because it kills shadows and really fucks up dynamic lighting so that last tidbit is a use at your own risk, and if you've to many props messing with your source light you can crash your game or bring it down to a slough.

Good lighting and prop placement are certainly a plus, but I think you can be creative just in how you use the code. I use props but pretty minimally, just enough to give a lived in feel. I think what makes my survival map stand out is the concept and the execution though. Creating a fun, interesting, and unique game mode can be just as gratifying for the end user as a map that looks great.

NecrumWarrior said:

Good lighting and prop placement are certainly a plus, but I think you can be creative just in how you use the code. I use props but pretty minimally, just enough to give a lived in feel. I think what makes my survival map stand out is the concept and the execution though. Creating a fun, interesting, and unique game mode can be just as gratifying for the end user as a map that looks great.

I agree necrum, Especially in this phase of snapmaps life just being able to have decent gameplay is the most important thing right now.