Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tritnew

What RPGs Do You Guys Recommend?

I should probably post this In "Everything Else", but yeah. I wanna know what good RPGs are around for me to play, either If they're obscure or widely known. :V

I have played EarthBound (and I am a fan of the series) and Fallout (just Fallout 4, having a great time with It), and might try out all the Fallout games.

Anyways, post away.

I'm not too big of a fan of RPGs, but I really liked the Mass Effect series. It was one of those things that I couldn't finish fast enough because it was so fun. Of the games, I found the 2nd to be the best.

If you want something more traditional, Legend of Grimrock is really cool. It's a first-person RPG that's more of a dungeon crawler, so expect something more akin to D&D.

For MMORPGs, the only ones that have really hooked me are World of Warcraft and Guild Wars 2. None of the others I've tried were that fun or exciting.

Grimrock seems like my kind of game, I've been meaning to try WoW as well ever since the South Park episode and because of Boogie2988's character Francis.

Either way, I've been loving Fallout, It's kind of fun, not my most beloved series/franchise but I'm liking Fallout 4.

Thanks for the suggestions. :V

Albion is probably my favourite RPG. It's heavily plot-driven and you don't get to create characters, so it kinda resembles JRPGs in this regard, but the guts are more hardcore and CRPG-like. It polishes the formula from Amiga classics Amberstar and Ambermoon, particularly the mixture of several top-down perspectives (in outside areas and houses) and first person view (in dungeons and cities). It's also fuckhuge and very, very talkative.

Also Cameron totally stole this theme for Avatar. Just kidding, but I've read an interview with one of the authors where he retrospectively notices that and concludes that "well, our story is much better", heh.

My favourite RPG is Gothic II. One of the best games i've ever played.

Also, if you liked Fallout 4, then i recommend you to check out other Fallout games. Fallout 3 & New Vegas are similar to 4, while 1 & 2 are entirely different in gameplay, but they're really fun too.

DOTA 2- my friends played it. I didn't but it looks really addicting, they even tried to get me to play Dota 2.

STRIFE- Its Doom, only interactive.

Which of these games has the least amount of filler? It seems like in some RPGs up to 90% of gameplay consists of banal fights that don't require any thinking and mainly exist just to make the game seem long. Usually I lose interest very quickly when I realize that.

I'll just be really alternative and say Rings of Power, a 1991 RPG for the Sega Genesis. Or Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday, same year, same console.

If Grimrock is your thing, try older dungeon crawlers like Bard's Tale or Wizardry. Ultima is good too. Phantasy Star had a dungeon crawling aspect.

Terranigma was never released in the US (but was in Europe), so maybe that's "obscure" enough in a way. It's my favourite RPG, next to Chrono Trigger.

I'm a huge Western RPG Addict

Planescape Torment: It is both weird yet amazing, it has a bizarre cast of characters and a very weird world. What may turn some people off however is the large amounts of text that are present, I recall one dialogue tree took me an hour to fully get through, though I dont mind because I really enjoy the descriptions and weird plot in the game.

I've played every main fallout game thats come out and I highly recommend playing the rest if you can, but the best are Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas because it really feeles like civilization is slowly rebuilding itself.

Ultima 7: Although the other Ultima Games are great, its really Ultima 7 that shines. The world is one of the most detailed ones in any game I've played, has a great soundtrack and personally has some of my favorite graphics in any game.

Baldur's Gate: This game, I dont know what makes it great, its just one of those games that you love but you dont know why, just try it out its really something great.

Deus Ex: Although its more of a FPS/RPG hybrid I'm still adding it due to its scope that is still not seen in games today. Unlike other RPGs, killing someone important wont simply tell you that the game is uncompleted and to reload a save, the game will live with these effects, its even possible to kill 2 of the games bosses early on in the game. Your actions are even talked about latter on, for example if you take a stealth route, during the mission debriefing they'll talk about how you used stealth during the mission. ITs also a highly repayable game as there are so many different paths that can be taken.

I probably missed a couple of others that I really liked, but these are the best I could think of from the top of my head.

If on JRPGs, give the Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth trilogy a shot if the melding of turn based and a sprinkle of visual novel appeals. It grew on me and I haven't finished the first game. Recommendation: Change voiceover to Japanese for best experience.

Well, most anything by Idea Factory seems to work.

Also, I've heard good things about the Avernum series, it's a traditional isometric type RPG.

Azazel Bloodfucker said:

shovel knight

Shovel Knight is a platformer, and plays nothing like an RPG.

Some Castlevania games however do have some RPG elements.

Shadowrun, the SNES and the Genesis version. They're both completely different games, but they're both great. There's also Shadowrun returns for the PC, but I haven't played that yet.

HavoX said:

Shovel Knight is a platformer, and plays nothing like an RPG.

Some Castlevania games however do have some RPG elements.

I don't care, shovel knight is fun and there is knights in. It basically an rpg game.
;)

Earthbound series (oh wait, it's in the first post, didn't notice), FF6, Chrono Trigger. Best FPS with RPG influences - STALKER. Others, except DXHR, are not even close, imo.

Most of the so-called "golden age of cRPGs" (late 90s-early 00s) is to be avoided, as are games that imitate that era, like the Witcher or Dragon Age. Especially avoid games with realtime with pause. Realtime with pause is punishment upon us for a wicked world's worth of sins.

If you absolutely must play a game from that time, Fallout 1 and 2 are playable as long as you have a guide. Avoid Planescape: Torment like the plague -- it's probably the worst game I ever played.

dethtoll said:

Avoid Planescape: Torment like the plague -- it's probably the worst game I ever played.

:(

Like some other people said, definitely play the other fallout games, and if you want something casual and actiony sandbox-type stuff like Fallout 4, try Skyrim.

I most definitely recommend playing The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, it's one of the best RPG experiences ever made. And if you want something more underrated and unique, try Arx Fatalis.

Voros said:

DOTA 2- my friends played it. I didn't but it looks really addicting, they even tried to get me to play Dota 2.

DOTA 2 isn't your traditional RPG, since it's an online PvP RTS/RPG that pretty much invented a whole new genre. It's worth sinking some time into it before writing it off.

Well, there's a PSX Castlevania game with RPG elements and it's great, Castlevania:Symphony of the Night, although it's difficult, but you already know that Castlevania games are difficult if you ever played one.
Also Strife, a FPS with RPG elements, very good.
A honorable mention would be Paper Mario for N64, it's one of best Rpg Mario games i've ever played.

J.B.R said:

Well, there's a PSX Castlevania game with RPG elements and it's great, Castlevania:Symphony of the Night, although it's difficult, but you already know that Castlevania games are difficult if you ever played one.
A honorable mention would be Paper Mario for N64, it's one of best Rpg Mario games i've ever played.

That reminds me, "Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door" for the game cube is really good too.

J.B.R said:

I definitely mentioned this a couple times in the past, but E.V.O.: The Search for Eden, is probably my favorite side-scroller RPG.

Fun fact: an unopened copy of this game can go for at most $1000.