Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Qunit

Baron of Hell fan art :)

Hi all! First post here so nice to meet y'all :P
Before i say what i want to say, here's the image with some process thumbnail:

So i just finished the campaign of Doom, and for the first time in a long time I really felt like i want to say what's on my mind regarding this game:

I'm a long time fan of the guys at ID (from the days of Commander Keen :)) and of the Doom series, and since Doom 3 came out in 2004 i always thought no one can actually remake the dread and grim feeling Doom 1+2 had - the splattered bodies on the walls, the skeletory art on the doors and items, the overall feeling of a hopeless and grim place.
When i first started playing Doom (the one that just came out) i didn't have many expectation gameplay-wise, i just wanted to see all of the remakes to the monsters and weapons :P
To my sunrise the game is a PERFECT remake to its' ancient predecessors! The concept art is freaking amazing and all of the demons have reinvented themselves with gory and violent designs, the weapons are unique and look fantastic and the fast pasted gameplay is back again just as i like it! >:D
After finishing the campaign i can say that it's a game for any1 how loved the old Doom and the reincarnation of the old gameplay is back, bigger than ever!
I totally recommend getting this work of art and playing it on the hardest difficultly possible, it's truly a treat for demons lovers and gore hunter as myself :)

The ONLY thing i was kinda disappointed of was the Baron of Hell enemy.
I mean, all of the monsters are made so well and their designs are so refreshing even thou they are based on the old enemies from Doom 1+2.
The baron seems like the most default demon you can imagine - red skin, big horns and hoofs.
Thinking of the old model of the baron i felt it is kind of a waste to make such a strong enemy character that regular, that unspecial.

I quickly grabbed my pen and used all the hype i had to draw this piece, based on the old design of the baron.
For the last 2 days i have been listening to heavy metal in full volume (the soundtrack of the game is also worthy to mention - amazing grunge\dark metal that really gets you in the mood to slay demons >:)) and constantly thinking about the horrors of the demon horde coming from hell, while I'm working of this red fella here.
I hope you like it, and if you felt the same about the baron - plz like\share!

I want to say again WELL DONE to the guys at ID and Bethesda, this game is freaking awesome, and it made me feel 6 years old again and i thank them for bringing such great art product into the world.

So, what are you doing here reading my post? GO PLAY DOOM!!!!! >:D

Qunit said:

Can i edit this post and move it there?

Don't.

Barely anyone goes there, with what the New Doom Era.

And the answer to your question: no. BUT a mod can MOVE this thread to the CW section.

Edit- motheroffuck. That face.
Hmm...
I see the IoS, Cyberdemon and Baron in that pic.

I like it. But I feel that its too wrinkly, like its decaying or something. That's my opinion. Other than that I like it.

Is that you at the bottom right?

Yeh Voros - that's me :)
About the decaying effect - yeh i know what you mean, i wanted to create a "bad" grunge overall effect, guess it could use some more work.

Tnx!

I think you succeeded at your aim as I like it more than the official one. Great work :)

i was dissapointed with the new baron design as well, the original had such an awesome head, the new one just looks derpy i think

I don't have a problem with the new Baron design. I think "derpy" is an overstatement... :P

raymoohawk said:

i was dissapointed with the new baron design as well, the original had such an awesome head, the new one just looks derpy i think

I feel like he doesn't look quite as intimidating as the boxart barons, other than that he's fine.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

That thing on his chest, like a gap to "Insert coins" lol .

More like... that place where you insert the car keys to start the car.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

That thing on his chest, like a gap to "Insert coins" lol .

It's the slot for the argent accumulator...

Lol, that totally looks like a coin slot.
I shall work on it and come up with something cooler :)

Holy shiiiit...this is awesome!

As awesome as the D4 Baron design is, I think they should've went with something like this. Kudos to you, dude (or dudette, or w/e ur pronouns are)

Tnx all for the great replies! :D

Made a little change in the "coins slot" thingy :)
Let me know how it looks!

This looks awesome. It's possibly the best artwork based around the Doom's Baron I have ever seen. I do like the Bolt or what you call it on its chest. I wouldn't mind seeing this design back in Doom as well.

I love it! What I liked about Barons and Hell Knights in the old games was that they looked intelligent and truly evil, like they're really leading some demon squads. In the newer games, they're just mindless monsters, but you've made them truly terrifying in the old, evil way again!

This Baron looks great. Somewhat reminiscent of the ones of the original cover art - more slim than the ones ingame, like young ones (or in a transitory stage between a Hell Knight and a Baron). Definitely better than Doom 4 ones, which does not look that great for me (mostly because their anatomy looks messed up - pauldron-like shoulders, small pectorals, and dangling abs that look like a cover for a "frontal spine").

Xeotroid said:

I love it! What I liked about Barons and Hell Knights in the old games was that they looked intelligent and truly evil, like they're really leading some demon squads. In the newer games, they're just mindless monsters, but you've made them truly terrifying in the old, evil way again!

Yes, the Nobles in originals demand respect. Their face expression tells you they are clearly focused on bringing you down ASAP, without being the rampaging lunatics that Pinkies are. I would like to see Nobles giving actual orders to monster underlings (pretty much everything weaker than Arch-Vile), like alerting every monster to you, doing coordinated attacks, surrounding you actively, all as the Knight or Baron stay behind and join the fray only as their numbers dwindle or you get close to them.

I think something like that might be possible in ZDoom. In the very least, if a Baron notices you, he could alert monsters in a radius around him. That's pretty much it for gameplay mods, but with some ACS scripting in custom maps, they could order monsters to flank you depending on where you are etc.