Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

AI isn't fucking around either

I don't game as much as a lot of ya'll do, just a few hours a week. Finally made my way to the foundry, on UV. I got slain a few times during an area where a hell knight spawns. So I thought I'd be clever and run past everybody as they spawn in. I zipped by and tried to come up with a strategy in an empty area quite a ways away, one that would require jumping and navigation to get to. To my surprise and horror, the hell knight had been on my trail, and decimated me immediately. I have to say that was really impressive.

I think the best part is my youngest brother (in his 20's so not like he's a kid) is actually REALLY good at FPS games, he's rocking a 5 KDR in MP right now! When it comes to games, he gets cocky. The demons in SP are kicking his ass and it was hilarious when I came over for a visit to witness it.

I'm going to agree to that. My first playthrough was on UV, and there was one area where a mutant solder came running through a door, so I took cover behind a console screen area with windows. Instead of running around the windowed area to the entrance, he jumped through the glass and startled the absolute fuck out of me.

Buckshot said:

I'm going to agree to that. My first playthrough was on UV, and there was one area where a mutant solder came running through a door, so I took cover behind a console screen area with windows. Instead of running around the windowed area to the entrance, he jumped through the glass and startled the absolute fuck out of me.

LOL There's spot where a demon nest lowered into the ground, with about 5 foot tall wall, and about a 1 foot gap between the floor and the railings (to prevent UAC workers from falling over I guess). Anyway, as I'm jumping around the map fighting the demons, I witnessed 2 zombies crawl under the railing and flop down 5 feet onto the ground into a face plant just to get at me. Instead of walking around the railing. Hilarious!

EDIT:
Oh, and someone posted this on Reddit https://gifs.com/gif/Z6Rnow That's a Rev smacking an Imp out of the way.

TheWizard said:

LOL There's spot where a demon nest lowered into the ground, with about 5 foot tall wall, and about a 1 foot gap between the floor and the railings (to prevent UAC workers from falling over I guess). Anyway, as I'm jumping around the map fighting the demons, I witnessed 2 zombies crawl under the railing and flop down 5 feet onto the ground into a face plant just to get at me. Instead of walking around the railing. Hilarious!

Heh. Yep. Super smart.

I was literally waiting for that mutant to follow the typical AI path and come through the console room entrance, so I had my back turned to the glass. Nearly shit my pants when he jumped-rolled through it

The AI is really impressive in this game, both in terms of its speed and aggressiveness. I also like how the projectile enemies will sometimes lead you so that even if you're strafing, you'll still get hit unless you quickly change directions. On top of that, many of the enemies have very distinct behaviors which is really cool.

I've seen some people complain about the AI, but I have no idea what they're talking about. For a pure shooter like DOOM, it's easily some of the best AI we've seen to date.

The first time the Hell Knight was revealed In Foundry, It scared the shit out of me.

Ya the Ai is cool, but starting to get predictible for me on nm. But I also prolly play to much. (edit) their body language is fucking stellar, that it. Ya I was just boping around and watching everything move it's really lovely. I like how almost all the monsters are different in movement and attitude, god so much work went into this.

LittleBurger said:

Makes me wonder if some of the other demons will swat the smaller ones away when they get in their path.

the rev was swinging at the player, that is funny though.

I beat this game on UV and I must say that AI is really impressive. I remember one thing - one time I saw Hellknight very far away from me so I thought that I could shoot him from pistol just for fun, because he is too far from me and he can't do anything to me. I almost shit my pants when one and a half second later he was right next to me and I barely escaped with my life.

Isn't it funny that we're talking about a Doom game having a good AI? They've been pretty braindead up until now. The randomization of behaviors in OG Doom is cool though, because even now they'll surprise you once in awhile. I got that feeling many times during my short playthrough of Doom '16. They were honestly fairly impressive in Doom 3, but only up close. This is the first Doom game where they really go out of their way to find you. It's a refreshing challenge.

Are we really playing the same game? AI is dumb as fuck, they often don't know what to do, they run in circles, you can lock them into endless pain state and the only thing that's scary about them is that they deal a shitload of damage on Nightmare.

AnonimVio said:

Are we really playing the same game? AI is dumb as fuck, they often don't know what to do, they run in circles, you can lock them into endless pain state and the only thing that's scary about them is that they deal a shitload of damage on Nightmare.

Hmmmm. Yeah, I've not seen that happen at all. Extremely intelligent enemies any level that I play.

AnonimVio said:

you probably play another game, maybe uncharted 4?

40oz said:

It just occurred to me that the post I made in a different thread was meant for this one:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1617560

Oh, then we can continue this conversation here, actually I'v been playing at a very chill pace, once you get weapon upgrades you can start one shotting the trash and stagger the big guys, I think it's amazing that both playstyle from old doom still exist in this. I need to optimize my dps though, I was getting fluent with the shotgunns max upgraded but I'd like to instintivly know how to use my hotbars to full effeciency.