Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mogul

50X

Hey folks. I made it to 50X. I feel like the leveling process in this game is way, way too fast. I think it should literally take ten times as many experience points. It's weird that you start running out of cosmetic rewards sometime during Echelon VII. It's weird that your personal performance, and not your team's performance, not winning or losing, is by far the largest determinant for XP. But it's pretty damn fun.

Any questions or discussions? I'm happy to talk about the process and share any insights I might have gained.

http://imgur.com/R8GWNUg

Kudos! About how many hours of MP play do you think that took? Or how many matches, I don't recall if these stats are in the game.

Because I'm a horrible player, both the number of hours and matches could be considerably lower, but it ended up taking 532 matches over the course of roughly 60 hours. If you're one of those players that gets like 25 kills every single match, it would be faster. I also played TDM almost exclusively (less than ten matches in other gametypes, combined) and I'm guessing there are other, more efficient ways to get XP. But that's how I did it.

edit: I want to re-emphasize that I think the climb should be far, far longer. I remember playing Halo Reach years ago and making a go at Inheritor rank. I was something like 50 hours into the grind and absolutely nowhere near the top. I remember doing a rough estimate that, at my skill level (again, pretty low compared to the legit players out there), I would have to play for several hours every day for like six months or something. The grind was insane, but when you (extremely rarely) saw an Inheritor, and saw their skill level they had built up, it was on a totally different level.

I wish 50X felt like that in DOOM, but it's not that rewarding, unfortunately. I'm proud that I did it, but 60 hours is really no big deal, compared to some other games.

First of all Mogul, kudos for your level.

However, I do not agree with what you are saying. 60 hours is more than the vast majority of players is willing to invest in DOOM's multiplayer mode. It gets repetitive real fast and the level is nothing more really than an indication of time invested in the game. It tells little about a player's skill - even the weakest player can achieve it with enough time. Thus, I do not think it would serve anything to extend this period. It would simply mean more grinding and if there is something I hate about games it's when their design forces you to grind - you said yourself that achieving those levels in halo was an "insane grind". To me that's not fun. I don't think that's "rewarding" either.

The current system is fine as it is. I would much rather see some gameplay improvements (better weapon balance, some "classic" mode included etc.) than artificial lengthening of multiplayer's longevity by increasing the amount of time needed to achieve max level. I don't feel worse than players with higher levels, nor do I feel better than guys with lower levels. I know it simply means I have more hours played.

What are you favorite Loadouts? And what are your thoughts on the weapons/ equipment? Any Good tips you'd like to give?