Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MZLXS

Autoscripting

I think its time to look into this. AutoCad has an Auto Script addon for .cad's. So why not one for ACS? (Geared for doom of course) one that can process and archive say massive amounts of textures and sprites (or anything) within a directory and easily make a functioning script with little to no modifying to run. That sounds better than typing 10,000 entries spanned across multiple scripts. I know that many love scripting as did I long ago.
But scripting will only become more complex.

MZLXS said:

one that can process and archive say massive amounts of textures and sprites (or anything) within a directory and easily make a functioning script with little to no modifying to run. That sounds better than typing 10,000 entries spanned across multiple scripts.

What script? What entries? Give a particular example. I have no idea what you're talking about. Is it even actually ACS?

I mean when you are makining mods especially starting a large project with alot of things that need to be used something that can generate a script(or multiple scripts) that links all the information accordingly. Like instead of typing entries for one monsters sprite set it would be able to automatically add the whole sprite set and generate script values for pixel set.(in this case the autoscripter would be an editor plugin)

Still doesn't make any sense to me.

MZLXS said:

... typing entries ... add the whole sprite set ... generate script values for pixel set.

Where would you want to "type" what "entries"? Where and how would you want to "add a sprite set"? What "script values" for what "pixel set" would you want to generate?

This makes no sense. Before the computer can organize the data you'll have to tell it first what is which. How should that be automated?

Graf Zahl said:

This makes no sense. Before the computer can organize the data you'll have to tell it first what is which. How should that be automated?

Well it could be done with a set of parameters such as
Actor type/ #/ # of graphics to incorporate start/end
Or even by directory. It would take a sophisticated program to distinguish between actors/other/weapons /map data Etc. And incorporate them into script compatable with the editors and ports.

First, what you're talking about looks more like automatic content definition than scripting. ACS is definitely not what you want to use when you want to define what sprites a monster uses!

Secondly, no. It wouldn't make sense.

the only way my monsters show up in either the editor or game is to define the actor graphic set file by file in the actors.txt file (yeah I know not an ACS script its a def.) So not just autoscript/generate for ACS but .def .ddf etc files as well. Sorry been on the doom for several days in a row. Hard to function.