Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rabidrage

Who will be the first to try their hand...at CyberbaronLand?

I've made a new map with a modded version of BDJ20 and some other goodies. YES, it's a big file, and YES, it's an exceedingly simple map in a lot of ways. But play it and you'll love it. The most important thing about this one for me was the new gameplay dynamic. Plus it's my first full release. Also, I'd recommend putting the music one volume increment higher than the sounds for full intensity. ;)

I do plan to make this the first level in a larger project, which will have different themes throughout (and make use of more weapons, etc.).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ge9pidkw7bbp506/CYBERBARONLAND.ZIP

rabidrage said:

I've made a new map with a modded version of BDJ20 and some other goodies. YES, it's a big file, and YES, it's an exceedingly simple map in a lot of ways. But play it and you'll love it. The most important thing about this one for me was the new gameplay dynamic. Plus it's my first full release. Also, I'd recommend putting the music one volume increment higher than the sounds for full intensity. ;)

I do plan to make this the first level in a larger project, which will have different themes throughout (and make use of more weapons, etc.).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ge9pidkw7bbp506/CYBERBARONLAND.ZIP

- What is BDJ20? I can only assume it's brutal derp, but don't assume everyone knows what some abstract acronym means.

- Show us screenshots. Nobody, and I really mean nobody wants to download your 235 MEGABYTE behemoth of a zipped file for 'one simple map'.

- If you don't show screenshots, for whatever unimaginable reason, explain your map better. Based on your description I'm imagining a large, plain 4x4 room with a shitload of Cyberdemons and Barons of Hell.

- Don't dictate to me I will love it, it's pretentious and to me it only promotes the idea of taking a contrary opinion for the sake of it. I'm all for enthusiasm, however, so don't let this kill your motivation.

- I'm not downloading your file to find out, but since you lacked any credits within your forum post I'm going to guess you've not credited those responsible for the many assets you've undoubtedly included in this zip? I'm especially curious about this 'intense' music.

rabidrage said:

I've made a new map with a modded version of BDJ20 and some other goodies. YES, it's a big file, and YES, it's an exceedingly simple map in a lot of ways.

Needs more elaboration, really. Most high-profile mappers' projects these are not even half the size of your map

rabidrage said:

But play it and you'll love it.

No screenies = No download

rabidrage said:

The most important thing about this one for me was the new gameplay dynamic.

Explanation needed.

rabidrage said:

Plus it's my first full release.

First full release with 235MB sounds odd for a single map, to say the least.

rabidrage said:

Also, I'd recommend putting the music one volume increment higher than the sounds for full intensity. ;)

May I decide for myself how much I crank up the volume? Dude, I don't play DOOM solely for the sake of listening to its music.

rabidrage said:

So how big is that gonna be in the end? Another 50GB project perhaps?

Echoing what's been already said: Screenshots (or even just one!) are a must for any project.

Regarding file size: 235MB is definitely too much for one 'simple' map. However, I wouldn't object to downloading a quality project with a load of work+effort put into it, multiple maps, and a lot of gameplay value with the same or similar file size. 50GB would be absolutely absurd though, haha. Are source ports even able to load that much? :P

So FNaF2 has smaller filesize than your single map...

OK.

You people are funny. Ripping me a new one for hyping my project and taking my encouragement to check it out as a personal order. Also, complaining about the file siElike you've got hard drives that were made in the 90s...guys.

I'll post screenshots soon and yes, there is a text file included with credits given, as well as additional credits inside of lumps within the resources I appropriated.

Sorry my excitement turned everybody off.

To be honest, I did miss giving credit for one thing, and I can probably afford to take it out, which would probably greatly reduce the file size. Let me work on that too.

rabidrage said:

You people are funny.

Nope, we're serious about what we said.

rabidrage said:

Ripping me a new one for hyping my project and taking my encouragement to check it out as a personal order.

Nobody's ripping you anything. Most people had enough of others telling them what they needed to be excited for. Can you blame them? If you want to get people interested, discribe your product more accurately, so it can find its audience on its own.

rabidrage said:

Also, complaining about the file siElike you've got hard drives that were made in the 90s...guys.

Ancient aliens for example has a lot of custom assets, and a high quality custom soundtrack. Size is about 35MB (when zipped) for 32 levels. Why would we not wonder about how such a filesize for one single, "simple" map is a thing? That filesize of yours is half the size of an entire 320kBit/s mp3 music album with more than an hour of playtime, just saying.

Alright, I downloaded this god-awful mess of a wad.

- You have WAD files in WAD files in wad files.
- You've included copyrighted 90's metal music.
- You have included MULTIPLE copies of the same files within the WADs, including the copyrighted 7.15mb mp3 which you don't have legal permission to use nor distribute.
- You used someone else's 150MB Hi-rez texture pack. You haven't credited them in your text time. Inside their wad file you will see a lump containing their credits.
- One level that looks like it's going to be very boring.
- You've included the entirety of "Brutal Doom J 20". BD is ass btw.
- It doesn't even run.
- In your script file I can identify the gameplay. It goes as follows: Kill room full of enemies. Lower Floor. Repeat.

For everyone looking at this thread, save your time and don't bother.

To the author, I do not mean to discourage you but please, please start with the basics and learn how to do things properly / better. Start by making a single map, that relies on nothing but stock resources from Doom or Doom 2. Learn to make a map that looks okay, feels fun to play and isn't built upon anyone else's mods, especially BD. It seems anything designed "to be played with Brutal Doom" turns out awful. Avoid advanced engine features that come with engines such as ZDoom until you're great at the basics.

If you can make a fun map that doesn't use and abuse other people's work and/or custom assets, people will be more tempted to try out your works. Also, file size matters to most of us. I don't want to waste quarter of a gigabyte of storage and bandwidth on trash.

By the time I saw Dragonfly's reply I was already downloading it, so I just went ahead.

I won't repeat what he already said, so I'll just comment on the level.

I was able to run it (GZDoom gave me a lot of warnings, but still loaded the thing). So, the gameplay. Well, it starts with some square arenas joined by corridors. In every arena there is one Cyberbaron (along with some other enemies, mostly hitscanners), and each time you kill it, it opens the way to another arena. Then there's a big room, floor starts to lower and enemies attack from previously hidden rooms on the sides of the main one. Then there are some arenas with some more Cyberbarons and hitscanners, and it ends up with an even bigger arena (that actually lags a lot), and a demon spawner you don't even have to kill. Despite how it sounds, it's not difficult at all. There are invulnerabilities and powerups in every arena, so it's just a matter of grabbing the invul, kill the cybie, proceed to next room/arena, repeat.

Verdict: Not worth your time, especially considering the huge size.

@rabidrage: It looks like you know how to do levels, but try to spend a little more time on them before the release (even for testing purposes). I have the impression you just have to be a little more efficient with the resources you have, rather than making one big mess throwing it all in.

That's funny, because it turned out exactly like I wanted (as long as it runs). So I guess all I can say is "it's not for everybody". I mentioned already that there was something I missed giving credit for, and that would be the hi-res textures. I'm just going to take them out, because it'll help the file size--probably a lot--and they're not really needed. If people have them and want to load them alongside, fine.

Dragonfly, I get it, you're being serious with what you said. I still find it funny. When I say things like "try it, you'll love it", it's honestly not meant as an actual command. It's a suggestion. It's hype.

Is it so inconceivable that someone somewhere will appreciate this for what it is? Running and sawing and causing general mayhem at a fast pace has its appeal, right?

Zed, I appreciate that you think I know how to do levels, at least. You have no idea how hard some it was to figure out, especially Slayer's hologram. Like I said, I built what I envisioned and wanted to build, and I was actually conservative with resources compared to previous ideas I've started to work on. For this one it was "if it makes sense/fits well, go with it". So...Chainsaw Zombies in a chainsaw-centric wad? Why not? Etc.

rabidrage said:

That's funny, because it turned out exactly like I wanted (as long as it runs). So I guess all I can say is "it's not for everybody". I mentioned already that there was something I missed giving credit for, and that would be the hi-res textures. I'm just going to take them out, because it'll help the file size--probably a lot--and they're not really needed. If people have them and want to load them alongside, fine.

Yes, it will reduce it by over 50%. Remove it and then provide a link to it if that is recommended. Do the same for the BD variant you're using as that also is not necessary.

Do all that, and stop using an MP3 that is not yours to use and your WAD will be all of a couple of MB.

rabidrage said:

Dragonfly, I get it, you're being serious with what you said. I still find it funny. When I say things like "try it, you'll love it", it's honestly not meant as an actual command. It's a suggestion. It's hype.

I never said you don't find it funny; as odd as that is. I merely commented in relation to your 'you'll love it' statement because it rubs me up the wrong way. You say what you have to say, I respond with what I have to say - welcome to the world of the internet.

rabidrage said:

Is it so inconceivable that someone somewhere will appreciate this for what it is? Running and sawing and causing general mayhem at a fast pace has its appeal, right?

There is appeal in that, if done right. But since it essentially uses a bunch of mods it would take 95% of this community less time to make a map to mindlessly run around in than it would to download your project.

rabidrage said:

Zed, I appreciate that you think I know how to do levels, at least. You have no idea how hard some it was to figure out, especially Slayer's hologram. Like I said, I built what I envisioned and wanted to build, and I was actually conservative with resources compared to previous ideas I've started to work on. For this one it was "if it makes sense/fits well, go with it". So...Chainsaw Zombies in a chainsaw-centric wad? Why not? Etc.

I didn't say you don't know how to make levels. I said I don't yet think you get how to make good levels, so to speak. Your design is incredibly linear and repetitive - I didn't even have to play it or even view it in 3D to identify this.

Look, like I've said already, I'm not trying to discourage you or to 'shoot you down' - I'm pointing out the issues that are present in this for you to go away, think about, and improve upon. That is what critique is for.

Good luck in your future mapping endeavours.

Dragonfly said:

- You have included MULTIPLE copies of the same files within the WADs, including the copyrighted 7.15mb mp3 which you don't have legal permission to use nor distribute.

Does this really matter? A large number of wads use midi versions of popular songs. Is this an issue because it's an mp3? Sounds like you work for the RIAA to care this much.

Dragonfly said:

Ah, good ol' anti-BD shitposting. We definitely need more vanilla/boom complevel 9 wads. I'm not defending this wad, but there's no reason to bitch about someone making a map with a gameplay mod in mind.

rabidrage said:

You should learn humility. Sometimes its good to hear criticism and say, " You know what? Maybe what I created isn't as good as I thought it was." Otherwise you come off as smug and condescending. Also, it didn't feel to me as you described. It was boring and tedious, sorry for such harsh words. But you really should be looking at this as a chance to improve.

rileymartin said:

Does this really matter? A large number of wads use midi versions of popular songs. Is this an issue because it's an mp3? Sounds like you work for the RIAA to care this much.

Ah, good ol' anti-BD shitposting. We definitely need more vanilla/boom complevel 9 wads. I'm not defending this wad, but there's no reason to bitch about someone making a map with a gameplay mod in mind.

No need to be rude pal, If Dragonfly told him about the copyright music its because those files cant be uploaded to the idfiles archives, so pretty much was a kind of advice if the author would like to upload it there.

Also i dont see that second suggestion to remove BD stuff like "anti BD shitposting" more like to make it compatible to whoever want to play it, if you have BD then you can play it with BD, if you have Smooth Doom then you can play it with Smooth Doom and so on and on.

not like if Dragonfly it just bullying this dude, he is giving some advices. geez

Z0k said:

Also i dont see that second suggestion to remove BD stuff like "anti BD shitposting" more like to make it compatible to whoever want to play it, if you have BD then you can play it with BD, if you have Smooth Doom then you can play it with Smooth Doom and so on and on.

I actually prefer this approach, I think it's always better if you go for a wider audience, and if it's well balanced, it will probably go well with most mods you may want to add. That said, if the author wants to make it with Brutal Doom in mind, that's completely fine, and what is most important, if it doesn't work with any other mod, that's irrelevant because it's not the focus of the work in the first place. BD-specific wads should never be a problem as long as they are fun and challenging and all of that.

Z0k said:

not like if Dragonfly it just bullying this dude, he is giving some advices. geez

He is giving some advice but I don't see how telling the author that a mod they like and made a level in mind with being "ass" is helpful. That's about as constructive as bashing Boom and preaching ZDoom superiority.

rileymartin said:

I care because posting that mp3 is essentially the same as posting warez. It is being illegally distributed for free.

rileymartin said:

Oh I'm sorry, did I voice my opinion on the internet? Sarcasm aside, you're dwelling on the least relevant part of my post - I'm absolutely fine with people building a map for mods such as BD, what I'm not cool with is the author needlessly distributing the entire mod with his own, without providing an alternate, BD-less download.

sudo459 said:

But you really should be looking at this as a chance to improve.

I couldn't agree on this more.

Z0k said:

No need to be rude pal, If Dragonfly told him about the copyright music its because those files cant be uploaded to the idfiles archives, so pretty much was a kind of advice if the author would like to upload it there.

Amongst the legality of the scenario, this is certainly a valid point!

rileymartin said:

He is giving some advice but I don't see how telling the author that a mod they like and made a level in mind with being "ass" is helpful. That's about as constructive as bashing Boom and preaching ZDoom superiority.

Funnily enough, you'll find people making small comments like "x is bad"; "y is a load of shit" etc, all over this forum. If you don't like people who voice opinions, Doomworld is one of the worst places for you to be, friend.

Alright, I'll be clear. I'm humble enough to think I made a wad some people will like--obviously not all or even most. I also know there's plenty of room for me to improve. That being said, I set a goal I knew was within my bounds and I still did exactly what I intended.

I included BD assets because the wad wouldn't even be fun to me without them. It relies on swinging the chainsaw and some other factors to up the intensity. There would honestly be no point uploading this without the BD components. Hell, I went as far as to make the monsters from the bestiary match the BD ones. I gave them shadows and even gave the Chainsaw Zombies the same violent deaths as the Zombiemen.

Yes, the level is pretty linear. There are a couple secrets, but all in all, it relies on tactics that can vary based on the player. There are enough powerups to make it pretty easy, but if you don't know where they are, when or how to get them, it could take a few tries.

Maybe I'll keep it off idfiles and post it to ModDB.

rabidrage said:

Alright, I'll be clear. I'm humble enough to think I made a wad some people will like--obviously not all or even most. I also know there's plenty of room for me to improve. That being said, I set a goal I knew was within my bounds and I still did exactly what I intended.

And yet you're not humble enough to take the critique put forward.

rabidrage said:

I included BD assets because the wad wouldn't even be fun to me without them. It relies on swinging the chainsaw and some other factors to up the intensity. There would honestly be no point uploading this without the BD components. Hell, I went as far as to make the monsters from the bestiary match the BD ones. I gave them shadows and even gave the Chainsaw Zombies the same violent deaths as the Zombiemen.

Well done for making some modified assets, but the point here is to not distribute the entire mod. Instead, provide a link to the mod you recommend with it. Chances are if you're making a map for the BD fanboys, they already have BD on their computer. Save everyone the unnecessary ~100MB extra bloat, but give them a link in case they don't already have it or don't want it.

rabidrage said:

Yes, the level is pretty linear.

entirely linear*

There's nothing wrong with linearity, but say it as it is.

rabidrage said:

There are a couple secrets, but all in all, it relies on tactics that can vary based on the player. There are enough powerups to make it pretty easy, but if you don't know where they are, when or how to get them, it could take a few tries.

Maybe I'll keep it off idfiles and post it to ModDB.

If you submit it in it's current state it won't be accepted onto idfiles whether you want it to or not.

rabidrage said:

Alright, I'll be clear. I'm humble enough to think I made a wad some people will like--obviously not all or even most.

I know dragonfly already said something,but this really irks me. This is the opposite of humility. Instead of admitting there are faults in your wad, you instead say, "Oh my was just isn't for you." Maybe that's not what you meant, but it really sounds like it. Yes maybe someone might like it. But that's really not the point.

I also know there's plenty of room for me to improve. That being said, I set a goal I knew was within my bounds and I still did exactly what I intended.

Great! Really, that's good, no sarcasm intended. But it seems to me (and its entirely possible I'm reading to far into it) it seems to me that you are using that as an excuse to object to criticism. I have ideas all the time, but not all of them turn out good, even when I implemented them exactly as envisioned. Please, do yourself a favor. Stop making excuses. You won't improve with such an attitude. THAT'S what I meant about humility.

rileymartin said:

If Brutal Doom is the only alternative to vanilla and Boom, just kill me now.

I include the whole BD package because it required modification in order to work. I might not be skilled enough to make a patch that negates the problem items in BD (especially so that it doesn't mess with attempts to run it without BD).

I see what you're all saying about humility. I think it's really ironic to be told off about a lack of same by people whose constructive criticism is delivered in a basically insulting manner. Where's the humility on their end? This doesn't apply to all of you, by the way. So maybe I'm feeling defensive?

I don't object to criticism, except when someone just outright calls my wad trash. I stand by my assertion that it turned out how I wanted it to and it might not be for everybody. I'm sorry that upsets people, and I'm open to constructive suggestions for how to make it better (like decreasing the file size, for one thing). Also, there is a difference between that assertion and asserting that I think it's perfect or something. I don't.

I started the map and the first few rooms were mostly the same square room but with minor variations. For the rest of the map you can only use the chainsaw and grenades unless there's something I missed, you can pick up other weapons but they have no ammo and can't be used. Each room in the map has a Cyberbaron that has to be killed for the door to the next one to open.

Eventually I went through a bunch of nearly identical underground areas with moving platforms and crushers.

Then I reached the slowest elevator ever made. This goes on forever while enemies slowly appear around you.

After reaching the bottom I went through a bunch of narrow corridors with monsters until I took an elevator to another area similar to the starting ones.

I got bored after this and activated God mode and started sidestrafing forward. I don't know why I did the former since in the end all enemies were too busy attacking each other and the area is big enough that you can run past everything.

Once I reached the end I killed another Cyberbaron which raised a switch that ended the 10-minute level.

I didn't like this at all. The level isn't appealing to look at, so the only thing that remains is the encounter design which isn't good either. There's only a few enemies per room (ignoring the last area), most which seem to be hitscanners, and the only tactics are throwing grenades or holding the left/right mouse button to kill them with the chainsaw.

I appreciate the review. Actually, I guess I should have proactively removed the grenades. Out of sight, out of mind. Hmm. Let's call this project "not done" after all!

How would you feel if you had given it a go without grenades?

The elevator, I feel I should point out, gets more crowded more quickly as it reaches lower...well, elevations. At first a few rooms open up on the sides and enemies come out. Then they start teleporting in at a more rapid clip. Then a monster spawner starts spitting them out to the four corners, and usually teleporting is still underway at the same time...so the pace should generally pick up as it goes along.

@rabidrage, just take a look at the quotes. You have an answer to everything, literally. You act like someone who's pumped out 4 decent megawads, and is now getting trolled. It is your first, finished project, and you do not even bother to ask people what they think of it, and what they would want to see changed. I'll get into that later in this post, but maybe you wanna think about it for a bit of time.

rabidrage said:

That's funny, because it turned out exactly like I wanted (as long as it runs). So I guess all I can say is "it's not for everybody". Is it so inconceivable that someone somewhere will appreciate this for what it is? Running and sawing and causing general mayhem at a fast pace has its appeal, right?

If this turned out exactly like you wanted it, I really do think you're not being honest about it. If it is not for everybody, OK that's fine, but I have to wonder why you are being hyper-defensive, when someone says that your map did not appeal. Running and sawing and so on is nice for a change, but how long will it last? You put together a map, that revolves around one single weapon, with the occasional grenade here and there. Why does such a map need to be so big in the first place? A chainsaw killing spree can be nice to add variety to some run and gun segments, or some harder grind of sorts, but on its own it gets bland in a matter of minutes.
If your level was half the size, it would still be too big for what it does.

rabidrage said:

Yes, the level is pretty linear. There are a couple secrets, but all in all, it relies on tactics that can vary based on the player. There are enough powerups to make it pretty easy, but if you don't know where they are, when or how to get them, it could take a few tries.

If all it takes to make this map a breeze, is figuring out where the powerups are, it is not something people will want to sink their teeth in. On the tactical side there is not too much going on either. If this is what you intended, that's OK, but that is nothing a "consumer" needs to consider. If you publically share a map, you're inviting opinions, simple as that. And stop telling us you're humble, when the next thing you say is, that some people might like your map regardless (of its quality). You're not even humble enough to appreciate that we take our time to post comments here, let alone downloading 235MB to be able to do so in the first place.

rabidrage said:

I see what you're all saying about humility. I think it's really ironic to be told off about a lack of same by people whose constructive criticism is delivered in a basically insulting manner. Where's the humility on their end? This doesn't apply to all of you, by the way. So maybe I'm feeling defensive?

I don't object to criticism, except when someone just outright calls my wad trash. I stand by my assertion that it turned out how I wanted it to and it might not be for everybody. I'm sorry that upsets people, and I'm open to constructive suggestions for how to make it better (like decreasing the file size, for one thing). Also, there is a difference between that assertion and asserting that I think it's perfect or something. I don't.

I see no irony here at all. Nobody here, and I mean literally nobody has been calling your level shit, nobody has been calling you anything. You are hyper-defensive, you have been from the beginning, and you justify that behaviour by telling yourself that people did not get your intentions, or the map is just not for them.

This is how you handle the people's feedback: "Not for you", "Turned out how I wanted", "someone might like it". Mighty fine. If this is how you wanna go about it, how are you going to improve your mapping? I firmly believe that you can consider yourself lucky, if anyone, who's participated in this discussion for a bit of time, does so again, when you come up with something new. Speaking for myself, I'd rather not do so, because this thread quickly devolved from talking about your map, into talking about how you should handle criticism.

I used the grenades twice and that was in the same empty corridor while figuring out which of my weapons could be used other than the chainsaw. After that I forgot about them since I barely remember they're a thing in BD most of the time.

Sure Bowb, if you scroll up, you'll see that Dragonfly said it's "trash". I never claimed that anyone called it "shit".

MrSkeletal, thanks for the feedback.

rabidrage said:

Sure Bowb, if you scroll up, you'll see that Dragonfly said it's "trash".

He said the stuff included with your map was trash. Like

Dragonfly said:

- You have WAD files in WAD files in wad files.
- You used someone else's 150MB Hi-rez texture pack. You haven't credited them in your text time. Inside their wad file you will see a lump containing their credits.
- One level that looks like it's going to be very boring.

Which does not speak about the actual quality of the included stuff ( except, in his opinion, BD ) but the fact that it's utter clutter that adds either very little or literally nothing to the end result.

rabidrage said:

I don't object to criticism, except when someone just outright calls my wad trash.

It ended up in my recycle bin, if that helps set the mood. But seriously, I pointed out everything wrong with, or improvable about your project without necassarily meaning to call it trash. I needn't say more as it seems Arctangent has replied perfectly on my behalf.

While I may have been brutally honest about it, you'd expect a 'brutal doomer' to be able to handle it, heh.

Spoiler

rabidrage said:

Also, there is a difference between that assertion and asserting

lol.

rabidrage said:

Sure Bowb, if you scroll up, you'll see that Dragonfly said it's "trash". I never claimed that anyone called it "shit".

Guess what? I scrolled up... You were the one to come up with the word "trash" in this thread to begin with. And now all you can come up with is telling me that I used a different word, which in this context would still mean the exact same thing? Is that really all you have to say about my comments regarding your behaviour and your map? Are you being serious or are you a part-time-troll? You know what? Don't bother answering, because I think I made up my mind already. I had enough. Good luck, godspeed, and whatever...