Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MiNaM

The bitching about game difficulty

After reading how people are complaining & bitching about how easy Doom16 is, i decided to play it the first time on UV difficulty..

I've made a mistake,,

For god's sake I'm currently on mission 3 and there's already those moments when you throw everything you got on the demons till you have nothing left, retreat with zero ammo, zero armor, low health, start shooting everything with your pistol from a distance till you get a glowing demon and you say "That's it, I'm gonna break his neck!", start running your desperate ass through the hordes to perform a GK and win a couple of bullets/some health and BAM, YOU'RE DEAD!

Over and over again..

I'm not a noob, I'm a skilled player but I'm having a trouble cuz the game is too hard for the first time that it's keeping me 100% stressed all the time and I'm start loosing the fun "sometimes" especially when i get my ass kicked by Imps :)

I don't want to challenge the game on my first gameplay..

So, Is there a way to change the difficulty without starting from scratch and/or loosing all the collectables, achievements, secrets found ?

Hurt Me Plenty was never really particularly difficult to me, though there were definitely tense moments and several times where I wasn't taking the game entirely seriously and ended up blowing myself up pretty quickly. It certainly didn't feel like I was just skipping through the game, closer to the opposition demanded some respect even if it didn't require much more than that.

I can imagine that the higher skill levels are actually pretty hard, though.

MiNaM said:

So, Is there a way to change the difficulty without starting from scratch and/or loosing all the collectables, achievements, secrets found ?

You can switch between the difficultys while playing. Just go in the game settings and change it. You dont have to start again and also you lose nothing.

Otus said:

You can switch between the difficultys while playing. Just go in the game settings and change it. You dont have to start again and also you lose nothing.

nope, at least not in nightmare/ultra nightmare

Deatheye said:

people who bitch about that are probably playing on I'm too young to die

"It's hard for me, so it must be hard for everyone else!"

Otus said:

Oops.. didn't notice the difficulty in the settings menu...

Chickensoup101 said:

Dude, keep moving and don't stop! And use the chainsaw in case of running out of ammo

You're not invulnerable while using the chainsaw like it's while glory killing !

P.S it doesn't work on beer :)

Deatheye said:

people who bitch about that are probably playing on I'm too young to die

Probably because they're too young to die.

Wait, we all are.

It's easy, even on Nighmare. But -- only after you've upgraded/specced intelligently. You can get plasma stuns fairly early on. Everything's cake after that.

Mogul said:

It's easy, even on Nighmare.

then it should be no problem for you to upload an ultra nightmare run

The only people I've seen complaining about the difficulty are tryhards who wouldn't be satisfied unless the game insta-killed them every time they stubbed their toe.

What's funny is that with the exception of Ultimate DOOM's Thy Flesh Consumed, which didn't even arrive until after DOOM 2, DOOM never was an overly difficult game unless you put it on Nightmare (which was always a "joke" difficulty level to begin with). And it wasn't even until Final DOOM came along that we actually had an entire game's worth of really challenging levels (Plutonia, specifically).

Where this notion or misconception came from that DOOM was always a Ninja Gaiden or Dark Souls-like FPS, I don't know, but it's starting to get old.

I personally find doom 4 to be more challenging than any of the iwads with the exception of plutonia perhaps. You just move far slower and the monsters are far more oppressive. True having played classic doom for 20 years is probably part of the reason I find the old ones easier, but still.

Deatheye said:

nope, at least not in nightmare/ultra nightmare

It works switching from UV to HMP, I just did :)

i find it odd why people insist on playing this game, and hell any new game they get, on the highest difficulty level. that just sounds like you're gonna have a terribly unfunny time the first time playing it...

Doomhuntress said:

i find it odd why people insist on playing this game, and hell any new game they get, on the highest difficulty level. that just sounds like you're gonna have a terribly unfunny time the first time playing it...

To each his own, live and let live!

I can't stand the easier difficulties.

I played in nightmare mode from day 1 that I got it, which was last saturday morning (21st). I was going to tear my hair our in resource ops at the first gore nest. I think I died about 80ish times. I wasn't giving up though. I finally managed it and got better and better, and once you get a few upgrades, NM is much easier.

Now I am in kadingir, so almost halfway through. Not bad for someone who hasn't touched doom or quake in years and is completing an average of a level a day on nightmare. Although I couldn't play much on sunday and tuesday, and I only get a few hours a day. I am very happy with the difficulty and learning curve, it is just right. After I get some good experience with NM, it's on to UNM :)

I had a moment the other day where I went in for a glory kill and was killed by another enemy so quickly, I collapsed to the floor with 8 health! You're definitely vulnerable when you do GKs, because if they're attacking you during the brief invulnerability phase, the attack can be strong enough to instantly kill you when you finish the move. I've also had a single enemy deplete all my armor in one hit. Shit's brutal!

GoatLord said:

I had a moment the other day where I went in for a glory kill and was killed by another enemy so quickly, I collapsed to the floor with 8 health! You're definitely vulnerable when you do GKs, because if they're attacking you during the brief invulnerability phase, the attack can be strong enough to instantly kill you when you finish the move. I've also had a single enemy deplete all my armor in one hit. Shit's brutal!

I can imagine the difficulty would go up more in some aspect if the armor acted like the classic doom armor. I wonder if it would work that well, what with the armor as it is now being easily wiped out by enemy damage.

LittleBurger said:

I can imagine the difficulty would go up more in some aspect if the armor acted like the classic doom armor. I wonder if it would work that well, what with the armor as it is now being easily wiped out by enemy damage.

Can you elaborate? What is the difference? In the first doom green armor reduced by 25% and blue by 50%, iirc, and both hp and armor were reduced accordingly.

In this doom, it seems armor is just extra hp and doesn't reduce by a flat % and is eaten before armor. AM i right?

Seems like the armor straight up absorbs as much of the attack as possible in order to preserve your health. I like that, honestly.

GoatLord said:

Seems like the armor straight up absorbs as much of the attack as possible in order to preserve your health. I like that, honestly.

So it is a formula like in path of exile, where % reduction depends on dmg? And if you have 50 armor and are supposed to take 80, you lose all the 50 armor and still stay with your max of 100-200hp?

massivefanofdoom said:

So it is a formula like in path of exile, where % reduction depends on dmg? And if you have 50 armor and are supposed to take 80, you lose all the 50 armor and still stay with your max of 100-200hp?

As far as I can tell, you would lose your 50 armor along with taking 30 damage for your actual hp. The armor seems like it is just another form of health in a way.

UV is turning out to be a nice challenge. I've had my ass handed to me by the Summoner quite a few times but that's as it should be. I imagine the game will get easier as I get more upgrades.

Doomhuntress said:

I used to do this because many lower difficulties would bore me and If I wasn't super fond of the game I would want to try and get a "full" experience on my first and only playthrough. Some people it could be a pride thing.

I just beat the game on HURT ME PLENTY and I thought it had just the right amount of challenge for me. I definitely had a blast playing it. The only time I really really REALLY struggled was during the first two boss fights. For some reason I kept dying and I think I spent over an hour trying to beat those stupid twins or brothers. I HATED that boss fight and maybe its because I'm stupid and could not understand their attack patterns. That was the only time where I did not have any fun or enjoyment whatsoever. Its too bad though, because I really enjoyed the level but I cringe at the thought of replaying it because of the boss fight. Anyone else feel the same or do you guys have some tips for me lol :)

royaldj said:

I just beat the game on HURT ME PLENTY and I thought it had just the right amount of challenge for me. I definitely had a blast playing it. The only time I really really REALLY struggled was during the first two boss fights. For some reason I kept dying and I think I spent over an hour trying to beat those stupid twins or brothers. I HATED that boss fight and maybe its because I'm stupid and could not understand their attack patterns.

Hmm, make sure your heavy-hitting weapons are upgraded, the Hell Guardian is more dangerous by himself, but his attack is relatively easy to dodge. Your air-control rune and vacuum will help immensely here. Double jump away form his ranged attack, and time his ground-pound with another double jump. When he rushes he's wide open, step to one side and blast him.
When attacking the two of them, use your gauss cannon to stun them as they begin a charge attack, they will almost always drop health and ammo. Vacuum will suck all the goodies up without putting you in danger. If you save your BFG for phase 2 you're guaranteed a stun.

Use3D said:

Hmm, make sure your heavy-hitting weapons are upgraded, the Hell Guardian is more dangerous by himself, but his attack is relatively easy to dodge. Your air-control rune and vacuum will help immensely here. Double jump away form his ranged attack, and time his ground-pound with another double jump. When he rushes he's wide open, step to one side and blast him.
When attacking the two of them, use your gauss cannon to stun them as they begin a charge attack, they will almost always drop health and ammo. Vacuum will suck all the goodies up without putting you in danger. If you save your BFG for phase 2 you're guaranteed a stun.

I'll give that a try thanks!

Update: From all my testing, it does in fact seem armor is just an aesthetic and an extra health bar. I got the same amount of damage from imp fireballs and baron fireballs and revenant rockets every time, with hp and armor and both on.

Since I got FPS issues on hogher settings I actually decided to do my first playthrough with a controller, I dont know why, but playing on low fps with controller works better than me than with m&kb.

Played on UV, got pretty challenging sometimes.

Yesterday I played through the campaign on Nightmare with Mouse.

Got pretty darn difficult at times, but on the other hand, felt rewarding as HELL ;)