Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
baja blast rd.

Specific Things in Doom that Amuse You Greatly

When a trooper doesn't die from a cyberdemon rocket explosion.. and then decides to attack the cyberdemon. Even funnier if the trooper gets to shoot the killing shot on the cyberdemon. At least the first part has happened sometimes, can't remember if the second part has ever happened.

Something I find both comical and infuriating at the same time: Shooting at an enemy at really close or point blank range and killing an enemy in the distance behind that enemy because of either the blockmap bug or incredulous RNG causing hits and to miss, and promptly receiving some claws/teeth to the face.

I love when corpse density is so high that you can barely see the floor, and then admiring the show of color when fireballs/rockets with light sources pass over them in ports where applicable.

Rayzik said:

Something I find both comical and infuriating at the same time: Shooting at an enemy at really close or point blank range and killing an enemy in the distance behind that enemy because of either the blockmap bug or incredulous RNG causing hits and to miss, and promptly receiving some claws/teeth to the face.

If you haven't found a large bunch of health/armor bonuses grouped together neatly, you don't know satisfaction at all. And collecting them all and hearing that sound play repeatedly while doing so-

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA SO MUCH SATISFACTION

Watching a Chaingunner lay into a larger monster like a Cacodemon or Mancubus.

Once I was fighting a Hell Knight with the SSG and a Zombieman took the killing shot while he was after me.

Monsters wandering into teleporters because they heard noises. I went into a room in PSX Unholy Cathedral expecting to plasma spam Lost Souls, only to find it completely empty.

They managed to not only all teleport themselves to court yard, but then teleport with me back inside the building when I was fighting pinkies.

I remember the moment that third screen shot happened, Jimmy. That part is one of my favorites.

Averagewalrus24 said:

When an archvile insists to keep reviving the same demon, over and over again.

Replace the "Amuse" in the thread's title with "Annoy" and that might be closer to true.

Any time Lost Souls infight, I tend to just stand there and watch as they charge into each other around 10 times before one dies.

The funniest part is that they immediately lose their targeting after hitting once so it's essentially them headbutting each other, forgetting about it, and then getting upset that the other headbutted them.

mrthejoshmon said:

On the PSX version when you killed a pain elemental it would more often than not spawn a lost soul in the wall that you could see but not kill, it would just wander around like a living painting.

The adventures of wall skull.

I remember in the PSX Command Control map there was a spot where the player could get into the void, but you could not go any further as more linedefs blocked further progress.

When an Archvile incinerates an adjacent enemy and kills it, only to instantly - almost apologetically - resurrect it.

Deathmatch edition: 

- Drawn out RL vs. RL fights in open space, spamming rockets wildly and none of them connecting. Usually wrong tactically, but pretty amusing. (Likewise, drawn out chaingun spam fights.) 

- You have the RL and someone suddenly pops around the corner so you reflexively fire, killing both of you.

- In a FFA session, there was this one player who insisted on using nothing but the chainsaw (a regular strength one), and even scored a few frags with it. 

- When the one really bad map comes up in the FFA rotation and everyone suddenly calls it a day. 

- Casually spamming a few rockets a good length across the map in a duel without seeing your opponent, and you don't even see it hit -- you only know it connects because the score/message. 

- Getting a frag against someone hiding in a tiny exit room.

- Conversely, someone hiding in the exit room, opening the door, and scoring a frag. Bonus points if you open the door for them and they get you with a rocket. 

Point-blank BFG-ing a cybie from behind, to see it "fly" a good "10 meters" just never gets old for me...

Another thing that always makes me smile is rocket pumping a pack of hell knights, when at some point each rocket results in a dead HK. It's the feel good stuff right there... Pretty similar to rocketing clusters of revenants, when you hear that nice  *Woosh* -> *Boom* -> *snap* combo, it's the trinity, I tell ya. ;-)

4 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Point-blank BFG-ing a cybie from behind, to see it "fly" a good "10 meters" just never gets old for me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rU487YqP6Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGdqoUqcHz4

5 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Another thing that always makes me smile is rocket pumping a pack of hell knights, when at some point each rocket results in a dead HK. It's the feel good stuff right there... Pretty similar to rocketing clusters of revenants, when you hear that nice  *Woosh* -> *Boom* -> *snap* combo, it's the trinity, I tell ya. ;-)

I love cleaning up after a big fight and having a bunch of mid-tiers go down in one SSG shot or rocket apiece. Really satisfying. 

Oh, another thread of this kind, perfect, ok let me write my bible:

• Killing imps (and/or chaingunners) in one shot, using the shotgun. It was more common in the PSX version and I don't know why.
  • Massive infigthings between all kinds of monsters, even more if there are Cyberdemons and they lose, that is amazing, what a great scene, I don't get tired of seeing it again and again and again... and again...
  • Same but with a Spider Mastermind, but in this case I enjoy even more if SHE is the winner. We all know she can be a badass when she wants. 
  • Secrets that are very cleverly placed, and I find them, and the reward is big like a megasphere, I have a "MY PRECIOUSSSSS" moment. 
  • Whenever I start playing a new wad, and I find a weapon, I'm like "YES BITCH!"
  • When I hear Death Bells in a night-ish map.
  • When a lost soul, far far away from me, decides to come to me, and I move aside like "after you please" and I see him flying far far away to the other end of the map.
  • Seeing an Afrit owning a Cyberdemon. Seriously I'm like this:

fsff.gif.4e3d2debb76a8f613bf57d49ae3ba433.gif

6 hours ago, rdwpa said:

- When the one really bad map comes up in the FFA rotation and everyone suddenly calls it a day. 

This one could be called the "greenwar map11 law".

On 5/21/2017 at 0:53 AM, Nine Inch Heels said:

^This!

Also,

• seeing a horde of chaingunners eating each other for breakfast
  • watching SMMs eating each other for breakfast
  • watching a boss monster helplessly stunned by a few arachnotrons
  • watching a mancubus or cacodemon helplessly stunned by a chaingunner
  • successfully pulling off an AV jump (thinking of the Scythe map 27 megasphere)

Having to spin like a motherfucking cowboy space ninja while pumping lead into demon's faces and dodging projectiles (aka moving the cursor in ONE direction only, left or right that is, and shooting whatever happens)

A perfectly executed "spin fight" (with little no damage received, and with nearly max accuracy) leaves me feeling so badass, like I dropped out of a action movie, and on special occasions, there is just this John Wick feeling when you can manage to not let any demon close in on you in a maze-like hallway "cross road" while swapping weapons and managing to fire and kill the monster every time (while moving the mouse in one direction during the fight). And when I play a special gameplay wad (almost all the time) ducking under projectiles and "side-diving" feels so good (if the wad has a "dodge button" I remove that completely. Dodge buttons are just useless to me, unless the player is slower than a brick on a slug and you need a small boost).

Nothing else in Doom feels good as that, but what can make me giggle like a little girl is using the taunt button in BD to make lost souls pause mid charge, and they are like :O , and just float there mid-air until I shoot them (or not). Lining up lost souls like that leads up to a :O :O :O convention which still makes me laugh :D

I think it's funny to see a pinky griping at a baron or knight, then the knight kills him.Also funny in Brutal Doom to see a pinky gulping down an imp.

Resurrected "ghost" monsters by archvile. This can provide extra challenge, because this kind of monsters immune to everything, except rocket launcher splash damage.

Opening up a new gameplay mod, typing "Give All" and just messing around with guns, experiencing how good they look or feel, testing them on enemies and seeing them get pwned.