Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
StevieWolfe

Endless Shutdowns.

MiNaM said:

What OS ?

Are all of you guys with this problem using Win 10 ?

It might be OS related, let's gather some info here..

Win7 Ultimate: 14 hours of gameplay and no problems at all..

Win 10 Pro 64 Bit on both machines

Edit: most recent GPU drivers as well

After 20 hours of playing, exactly on mission 8 while i was trying to reach the lever of the secret classic map, i kept falling and falling, and after trying for over 20 times a lost soul came from no where while i was falling and the game crashed to the desktop for the first time but it's not what everybody was talking about..

I got an error message on this one about "Unhandled exceptions in Doomx64.exe" and asking me whether i want to send a report or not.

I was upset that i just cancelled the error and continue playing without saving a dump file or sending a report..

I didn't update the game yet so i just wanna confirm that the old build has some error messages.

Edit: it got updated without a notice, by checking doomx64.exe's last modification time, it turns out it was updated at the exact time where the game crashed on me, this crash might be caused by the update itself..

Edward850 said:

Uhh... no. That's the new build.

Edit: Yes it is!

Steam automatically downloads updates (any depot change is signaled to your client which your client then differences and downloads the changes, you cannot launch the game until the update finishes).
You already have it because the crash dialogue was that update. This is an absolute.

Edward850 said:

Steam automatically downloads updates (any depot change is signaled to your client which your client then differences and downloads the changes). You already probably have it because the crash dialogue was that update.

How to tell then if it got updated or not ?

Edit: By checking the build number through steam and the time where doomx64.exe was last modified it turns out that it was updated without a notice.

It's Steam. Restarting your client and launching the game is enough to confirm if it's updated or not.
If you right click the DOOM library entry, go to Properties->Local Files, the BuildID will read 1151063.

Edward850 said:

It's Steam. Restarting your client and launching the game is enough to confirm if it's updated or not.
If you right click the DOOM library entry, go to Properties->Local Files, the BuildID will read 1151063.

Thanks man, it is 1151063 and the last modification of the doomx64.exe was on 28/05/2016 at the exact time where the game crashed on me, it might be updating the executable while playing caused this crash..

It's strange that i didn't get any notification of this update !?

MiNaM said:

it might be updating the executable while playing caused this crash..

Steam cannot\will not update a game while it's running.

MiNaM said:

It's strange that i didn't get any notification of this update !?

You did, but I'm betting you don't make a habit of looking at the bottom of the library page where it says how many downloads are running /completed. Let alone looking at the downloads manager itself. This clears itself every time you restart your client.

Had my first crash with the update.. the utility for reporting it completely froze up.. I can't submit it heh.

I can confirm that the update causes crashes on machines that previously didn't have any issues. The game ran flawlessly during my first playthrough (prior to the update). Yesterday I had my first crash during my second playthrough.

I've been recently suffering the same thing, except I do get an error message. Boots me to Steam out of nowhere and says that the engine crashed.....beyond that I have no idea.

FLAW_88 said:

I've been recently suffering the same thing, except I do get an error message. Boots me to Steam out of nowhere and says that the engine crashed.....beyond that I have no idea.

Send the error report. It was added in the last patch, so id can find out what causes the crashes. If you can't send the report, because the dialog freezes, post the error log in the bethesda forums.

The more info id gets, the sooner they can fix this issue.

I had the same issue. I7, 8GB Ram, GTX 970 here. It wasn't too often but not too rare either. It was annoying when I was trying to find out all the secrets and finish achievements and once or two it just threw me back to the desktop and lost the trial. Sometimes I would replay the same level because I knew I missed a collectable near the end (and you can't just speedrun it, you have to finish small arena areas to proceed) always dreadful I will be shut off before reaching the secret.

Thank god nothing happened with my saves, no "developer bug" here, managed to do most achievements, got bored of playing new Doom for a while, uninstalled it (also wanted to make space on my SSD for some other games), might install it later for ultra ultra nightmare achievement.

I see it's a common problem, but no tech answer why it happens and how to prevent it.

After my first crash on the day the game got updated "never before with 20 hours of play time", it crashed twice yesterday within less than 20 minutes on mission 10!

I've just finished mission 10 with all secrets but missed the "glory kill a baron from above" challenge, so I replayed that mission and near the beginning and exactly were you fight the first pinky, the game suddenly dropped to something like 5 fps and lots of harddisk access was heard then it crashed..

Restarting steam and doom, loading the same level, play for 10~15 minutes and it crashed again somewhere else on the same level !

This time I've reported all 3 logs to bethesda..

I don't know if it's the patch or due to some settings I changed in Steam a week ago, but I haven't experienced any crashes since. The game could crash during a fight or go black or halt during loading.

My PC is as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
Motherboard: MSI H110M
RAM: 16GB DDR-4 HyperX Fury
GPU: ATI R9 380
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO

My PC is connected to my WLAN, not LAN.

The settings I changed in Steam are (right click DOOM --> Properties):

Disabled "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game"
Disabled "Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active"
Disabled "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for DOOM"

I'm not sure whether or not they were the culprits, but I just had to try and see if Steam perhaps caused the crashes because of missing packets in the data stream while sending something to their servers or something like that. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with you. I'll let someone else decide whether it's pure luck or actually usable information! :D

Chris Hansen said:

I don't know if it's the patch or due to some settings I changed in Steam a week ago, but I haven't experienced any crashes since. The game could crash during a fight or go black or halt during loading.

My PC is as follows:
CPU: Intel Core i3-6100
Motherboard: MSI H110M
RAM: 16GB DDR-4 HyperX Fury
GPU: ATI R9 380
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO

My PC is connected to my WLAN, not LAN.

The settings I changed in Steam are (right click DOOM --> Properties):

Disabled "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game"
Disabled "Use Desktop Game Theatre while SteamVR is active"
Disabled "Enable Steam Cloud synchronization for DOOM"

I'm not sure whether or not they were the culprits, but I just had to try and see if Steam perhaps caused the crashes because of missing packets in the data stream while sending something to their servers or something like that. Anyway, I just thought I'd share this with you. I'll let someone else decide whether it's pure luck or actually usable information! :D

It's not the steam settings, or game settings, or hardware issue, cuz it crashes on a very wide variety of machines with different settings..

It's a code bug, otherwise they'll ask for your sys spec with your crash reports..

Today i decided to try starting Doom offline to see how it goes, so I disconnect the internet, start steam in offline mode and start Doom..

PLEASE DON'T DO IT!!

The game came up with this message and my whole savegame data was corrupted !!

WTF!

I've heard somewhere about Doom's devmode bug so i brought down the console and found out that IT IS running in devmode..

Exiting the game, connect to the internet and start steam online, start Doom again, nothing... still in devmode with corrupted savegame data !

Tried the "+com_gamemode 4" startup parameter then restarting in campaign mode, still nothing...

Doom is stuck in devmode..

For god's sake i played for over 22 hours and got all secrets, challenges, and collectables, i was working on the challenges of level 10 and now i've lost everything !

PLUS i've heard that restarting the game from scratch while in devmode will disable and make you loose all your achivements on steam !

Thank god i've made a backup a day before of the savegame folder located in c:\users\username\saved games\id software\doom

Replacing with the backed-up files saved my ass and brought my progress back at the beginning of level 10, so i'm back with a loss of just a couple of hours.. phew

So, till this game get some serious bug fixes, always make a backup of your savegame data folder from time to time just in case your data get corrupted..

I don't suppose any of the people complaining about CTDs happen to be running Windows 10 after "upgrading" over their older OS's yeah? If so, the problem with every incarnation of windows upgrades overwriting and preserving previous versions of windows settings and drivers has never worked well in the past 20+ years. The issue is more than likely older drivers conflicting with the OS or old registry entries having security issues preventing the user from playing any of their games to a certain degree.

If you're going to upgrade and use Windows 10. I highly recommend doing it on a clean slate rather than filling your old system with new applications that MS had no intention of supporting at all. Their goal was simple: Force as many users to the new system regardless if problems arise.

Carniverous Goat said:

If you're going to upgrade and use Windows 10. I highly recommend doing it on a clean slate rather than filling your old system with new applications that MS had no intention of supporting at all. Their goal was simple: Force as many users to the new system regardless if problems arise.

My Windows 10 install was an upgrade, game runs demonstrably fine. Software is not the issue, it's just strictly drivers and the manufacturers who don't account for update procedures, and that's not Microsoft's fault at all seeing as they don't actually make them.