Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
[McD] James

Predict the Rotten Tomatoes score for the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot

I don't have high hopes for it. I work in a Toy Store part time, and you can generally tell the hype for a movie by how many toys are sold before its release. Finding Dory, The Secret Life of Pets, TMNT: Out of the Shadows, even Angry Birds sold extremely well. They were featured items, people were constantly asking for them.

Ghostbusters, whenever people ask for Ghostbusters, they are visibly disappointed when I tell them all we have are the figures for the new movie. They want Ray, Egon, Peter, Winston, Slimer. The only thing sold was the original Ecoto-1 from the original movies. It's all 25-40 year olds who were excited that something from their past was coming back that are asking for them, and disappointed when it was changed. And they bring their 5-10 year old kids along with them with the promise that they'll get something really cool via a Ghostbusters toy. It sucks ruining the dreams of a 30 year old, but it really sucks ruining the built up dreams of a 10 year old.

I love the first Ghostbusters, the second one was kind of schlock, it seemed more like a music video for the late 80s, didn't care for it much. It wasn't the cultural phenomenon it was painted out to be, and I don't think the new movie will fair very well. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. I haven't watched it, but I haven't met anyone in real life who's very excited about it. I consider the third Ghostbusters movie to be the videogame released in 2009. That really captured the feel, had the original cast doing voiceovers, and it was a really solid game. Highly recommended. But that was when Sam Ramis was still alive, and Bill Murray still had an interest in the franchise.

Kirby said:

Care to elaborate?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Pvk70Gx6c

But the trailer gives it away anyway. The casting is dismal, the characters are insufferably unfunny, the script looks disastrous, the story is immediately unimaginative, the special effects are unconvincing, the acting is even less convincing and the soundtrack and sound design feel raw and superficial. The trailer is supposed to draw an audience in, not chew them up and spit them out.

LittleInferno said:

A disaster bigger than intelligent apes..

yeah rise of the planet of the apes was pretty bad
but dawn of the planet of the apes was good

79% on RT at the moment. I don't think many of us were expecting that. Regardless of the score, I did plan on seeing it anyways. Mostly just out of morbid curiosity, but partly because I was willing to give it a chance, in spite of how awful the trailers make it out to look.

Ajora said:

79% on RT at the moment. I don't think many of us were expecting that.

Huh, by the looks of things this may actually be one of the few re-imagining films that don't suck.

Or maybe film standards have changed, fuck if I know.

I'm probably going to see it a year or so later on TV like I do with most films (like Dread, which I regret because that film was great and I wish I saw it sooner).

Doominator2 said:

...also they kill ghosts by shooting them in the dick.

Wait, you serious?

I didn't think they killed ghosts, what good does that box they use to trap them do if they just planned on gatting them?

Why this movie sucks:

If group A likes it, group B will call them liberal idiots.

If group B hates it, group A will call them misogynistic pigs.

There is no winning.

deadwolves said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-Pvk70Gx6c

But the trailer gives it away anyway. The casting is dismal, the characters are insufferably unfunny, the script looks disastrous, the story is immediately unimaginative, the special effects are unconvincing, the acting is even less convincing and the soundtrack and sound design feel raw and superficial. The trailer is supposed to draw an audience in, not chew them up and spit them out.

You should always trust a MRA ranting in his car over professional reviewers. Thats what Jeff Gerstmann told me

mistercow said:

You should always trust a MRA ranting in his car over professional reviewers. Thats what Jeff Gerstmann told me

Funny you should mention that; the top critics on RT, ie: professional reviewers, are giving the film middling reviews. There's an almost 30 point difference between blog reviews and professional reviews.

Ajora said:

79% on RT at the moment. I don't think many of us were expecting that. Regardless of the score, I did plan on seeing it anyways. Mostly just out of morbid curiosity, but partly because I was willing to give it a chance, in spite of how awful the trailers make it out to look.

Fucking called it.

mistercow said:

All of those seem like pretty rational reasons to not want to see the film. Hardly 'THEY PUT WOMEN IN MY GHOSTBUSTERS'.

Is it really that horrible to say that I don't want to see the film because the masculine characters have been replaced by feminine characters? It would be like watching a Die Hard remake where they cast Ellen DeGeneres as the new feminist friendly Jane McClane.

TraceOfSpades said:

Is it really that horrible to say that I don't want to see the film because the masculine characters have been replaced by feminine characters? It would be like watching a Die Hard remake where they cast Ellen DeGeneres as the new feminist friendly Jane McClane.

Not really.

It is a personal preference.

I'd love to see a feminist friendly Die Hard in the hands of a good writers, directors and crew. If movies have to be a attached to a known property to get made anymore then applying a new philosophy to the material is at least one way to do something interesting with it.

TraceOfSpades said:

Like racing with Honda minivans..

TraceOfSpades said:

You know I always have to laugh when people give these hypothetical because 99 times out of 100 I would absolutely watch that if it was good. I think the one I saw before this one was "You wouldn't want a biography of George Washington staring Denzel Washington would you?" which I absolutely would watch.

^I think Mr. T would make a better Washington.

"Britain, I've had it with yo jibbajabba! I pity the fool who wants taxation without representation! Aggghhhhh!"

TraceOfSpades said:

I think women are only funny when they try and impersonate men. You know, like Rosie O'Donnell does all the time.

You're 100% right, men are much funnier when they try and impersonate men. You know, like

Spoiler

you.

TraceOfSpades said:

Does it make you feel better to know that they also gender-reversed the role of the secretary to a male, but, not feeling that was good enough (ie., to suggest that men and women can be equally good at various jobs), the role is written to have the man act like a complete idiot?

I mean, Janine may have been a very stereotypical secretary character, but never once did I see her treated disrespectfully as such by the script.

Yeah, I saw that. I think there are going to be many undertones present in the film, that being one of them.

Quasar said:

Does it make you feel better to know that they also gender-reversed the role of the secretary to a male, but, not feeling that was good enough (ie., to suggest that men and women can be equally good at various jobs), the role is written to have the man act like a complete idiot?

I mean, Janine may have been a very stereotypical secretary character, but never once did I see her treated disrespectfully as such by the script.

It's such a shame their are so few strong and capable male characters in movies these days.