Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Voros

Doom RPG apk

Can someone use those JAR to APK converters to create an apk of Doom RPG?
I tried, but it doesn't work for me. Tried on a phone that is.

Thx in advance!

I never heard of such a beast (a JAR to APK "converter"), it will probably be just a JavaME emulator wrapping around the JAR, as a "conversion" is impossible in the most general case (or just as feasible as "converting" e.g. PSX Games to N64 ones without an emulator).

But without going into tech details, there have been several threads on how to run the JAR on modern smartphones and PCs, e.g.:

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1407530
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1566746

Well, there are these online Jar to Apk converters online and some people have said they really work. I think Netmite is one of them.

I've had a lot of Java games on a Sony Ericsson(damn what fun I had). Gameloft is still doing Java games, usually toned down versions of what we have such as Assassin's Creed games(nice let me tell you), NOVA(didn't have the time to download), NFS(had Most Wanted once IKR), Real Soccer(it just like any football simulator, with players, colors, balls, goal nets, etc), etc.

But there is one person who made an apk and PMed it to anyone asking for it(a reddit thread called "doom rpg?", search for it). If only I could get my hands on one today.

If such "converters" work, they can only achieve broad compatibility if they include some JavaME emulation engine and sandbox the JAR/JAD (e.g. in the 90s, there was a "ZX Spectrum to PC converter" which basically bundled ZX Spectrum game images with an emulator into the same .exe).

The result of such "conversions" can only be as good as the bundled emulator itself -it may not work on some of the most advanced JAD packages, and games definitively qualify: many were device-specific, required specific hardware, support for extended functionality, networking/bluetooth features etc.

So, for example, you might be able to convert and use successfully a 1st gen B&W Java game or a simple calendar app, but not something using 3D APIs from JavaME.

The other approach would be decompiling a JAD/JAR into bytecode and then recompiling into something compatible with Android, but then you'd also have to convert between APIs, screen sizes, input conventions,etc. Again, this might work better for some kinds of applications (e.g. pure number crunching), but be extremely difficult for others (e.g. games).

As long as I can play Doom RPG!
I'm fine if its just an emulator made for running a Jar file.

Just want that apk and play it once in my life.

Well, if you know for sure that a working APK is out there, and it originated somewhere from reddit, then you have enough clues to start your little amateur sleuth quest (aka Google the damn thing left and right). If not, then you can try various jar->apk converters until you find one that works for your device. But you can't expect anyone here to do either of these things for you.

Google didn't help.

It found one result: A 4PDA apk of Doom rpg. The DL link is dead though.
And I doubt that reddit guy's apk is alive anymore.

In the threads I linked to there are people who successfully used JavaME emulators on the desktop and on Android to play the Doom RPG apk. Why don't you just follow suit?

Bumping old thread sorry but i came here from a search engine and cant find anything else anywhere on the internet. the only thing i havent tried is emailing john carmack

does anyone speak russian?

https://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=search&rurl=translate.google.co.uk&sl=ru&sp=nmt4&u=https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D511463%26st%3D0&usg=ALkJrhgsZvHJlunzFEIhz5E0elZZKbLYUg#entry26570128

there are .apk downloads for loads of games but the links seem broken

also ive tried running j2me but im not a programmer so have no idea what im doing. ive tried the online jad jar to apk converters and get an error every time and cant convert/compile anything to apk

any other options besides buying an old phone and trying to track down the java file?

Sent you a reply via PM. Questions answered people. Don't bump this thread any longer.

(I speak Russian, obviously) You need to register in order to download files from 4pda...

Why bother playing Doom RPG, play Doom II RPG instead on an iOS device.

Jon said:

Why bother playing Doom RPG, play Doom II RPG instead on an iOS device.

Marie Antoinette said:

If they don't have bread, let them eat cake.

Congratulations, that's possibly the dumbest thing I've read all day.

I'd explain the socioeconomicsjoke, but it'd probably be a waste of time.