Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

Memorial Day's coming up guys

I plan on getting it mixed up with Labor Day, as usual. Why they can't give these things readily comprehensible names like "Spring Bank Holiday", I don't know.

Nothing.

My parents might plan on visiting the cemetery, but I haven't heard from them yet...

Grazza said:

I plan on getting it mixed up with Labor Day, as usual. Why they can't give these things readily comprehensible names like "Spring Bank Holiday", I don't know.

It may have to do with a certain event in the past, or to probably honor the fallen soldiers who died during the Cold War and WWII.

If I'm not mistaken, here in the US, Memorial Day "memorializes" the soldiers who died while serving. Veterans Day honors all veterans and soldiers, dead or not. Labor Day honors the labor movement, though why it's not on May 1st is beyond me.

What's interesting is that Commonwealth Nations celebrate Remembrance Day on the same day we celebrate Veterans Day. But, Remembrance Day is more like our Memorial Day than our Veterans Day.

Anyway, I'll probably spend it at my mom's house, eating grilled food. Then I'll probably come home and play a video game or two. Basically the same thing I do every year because I really don't celebrate it.

It was originally to honor fallen Civil War soldiers and was eventually extended to cover all American military dead.

Playing Wolfenstein 3D's how I roll with Memorial Day. Might also watch the first Captain America.

yukib1t said:

If I'm not mistaken, here in the US, Memorial Day "memorializes" the soldiers who died while serving. Veterans Day honors all veterans and soldiers, dead or not. Labor Day honors the labor movement, though why it's not on May 1st is beyond me.

May 1st is Labor Day, as celebrated by Communism all over the world.

During the Cold War, the US changed Labor Day to September so as not to be associated with the Communist one.

visit the cemetery, memorial ceremonies. Honor the fallen... don't forget the meaning of the holiday, fellas. Don't take it for granted...

Kontra Kommando said:

I'm going to eat barbecue, and drink beer and hard liquor.

The fallen ones would be proud. ;)

Sgt Ender said:

The fallen ones would be proud. ;)

Their sacrifice is why we can enjoy ourselves. I will definitely have some drinks in their honor.

My grandfather fought in WWII. His brother died while serving. My grandmother's brothers also died in battle.

Going to enjoy my military discount at some restaurant probably. Though thinking about it, that does seem a little selfish...

Surely, you must mean Mother's Day. Silly dyslexic yankees.

Gonna kick on some Pink Floyd The Wall, maybe some of The Final Cut.

That's the music way of saluting to our fallen soldiers.