Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gothic Box

Metbase, my first released WAD (v1.1 released)

I've made a few maps before, but I've either never intended to release them or bit off way more than I can chew. This here is the first WAD I've ever released. It's pretty small and short, and is mainly a test to see if I can actually map worth a damn. It's got a metal/nukeage theme, and has 7 rooms, 43 monsters, 4 secrets, and no custom assets. While it might look a bit drab, I feel relatively happy with it.

Tested with GZDoom 1.8.1, ZDoom 2.7.1, and Zandronum 2.1.2.

Version 1.1 released
- fixed getting the yellow key too early
- made the fight after the yellow door harder (think mancubuses)

Spoiler

Download v1.1

Feedback would be much appreciated.

Alright, played it, it's reviewing time.

I didn't find variety in textures and everything was just mostly brown. I didn't like that and I wish there was more gray, more green, and just more colors overall.

Some traps and ambushes were a bit too much. I mean, seriously, Hell Knights and Cacodemons when you have a shotgun? I think you were really trying to kill me on this map.

The good things about this map is that the enemy placement was nice, it wasn't so confusing to the point I just straight up quit, and it was really intense.

Good job.
6.5/10

Frisky said:

I didn't find variety in textures and everything was just mostly brown. I didn't like that and I wish there was more gray, more green, and just more colors overall.

I'll keep that in mind, I usually get stuck with the METAL textures and never experiment with what looks good with them.

Frisky said:

Some traps and ambushes were a bit too much. I mean, seriously, Hell Knights and Cacodemons when you have a shotgun? I think you were really trying to kill me on this map.

Were the HK and Caco fights really that hard? The HK fight has lots of leg room, and can be trivial with two specific secrets (hint hint), but I can see how the Caco ambush could be a bit much, with how they surround you and how the floor is damaging slime. Plus, both kinds of enemies take about 6-8 shotgun shells to go down.

I tried it, and it's fun.

I don't know if Frisky is being serious, but I didn't find it hard (in fact, I would replace that Cacos with PEs, really). Also, I'm not a fan of "chain" secrets, but that's really something minor. Also, if you fall to the nukage, there's no way out. That won't please a lot of people. Maybe you can get away with the one located outside, but the pool "inside" (where the key is) should have a lift or teleporter to get out.

Good work.

Zed said:

Also, if you fall to the nukage, there's no way out. That won't please a lot of people. Maybe you can get away with the one located outside, but the pool "inside" (where the key is) should have a lift or teleporter to get out.

The lift in the key area is the bridge with the armor bonuses, and in the small pool surrounding the key, activating any part of the walls lowers 4 lifts. On top of that, in the starting room, the bridge between the nukage pools is a lift, and the bridge to the building in the outside pool also acts as a lift. The huge nukage lake is inescapable, though (which I should have fixed, oops.)

I probably should have made those lifts a bit clearer.

Gothic Box said:

The lift in the key area is the bridge with the armor bonuses, and in the small pool surrounding the key, activating any part of the walls lowers 4 lifts. On top of that, in the starting room, the bridge between the nukage pools is a lift, and the bridge to the building in the outside pool also acts as a lift. The huge nukage lake is inescapable, though (which I should have fixed, oops.)

I probably should have made those lifts a bit clearer.

Oh, you're right. I should be more observant. Thanks, keep up the good work!

Zed said:

Oh, you're right. I should be more observant. Thanks, keep up the good work!

It's okay, I should have it more clearly marked, or have the whole platform be a lift.

Hi, here's a ZDoom 2.8.1 FDA if you want.
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/attachment.php?postid=1620104

Decent small map, a bit bland in textures as others have said but not terribly so. You've got some green nukage around, maybe more green highlights other places would be nice? Wasn't sure if I was supposed to jump or not so I did but nothing game breaking.

I activated the switch to get the yellow key before the barrier around the switch was lowered. Other than that, didn't seem to have any problems. I didn't find it very hard at all, even though I got the SSG secret I don't think it would've been much harder had I not.

Gothic Box said:

Were the HK and Caco fights really that hard? The HK fight has lots of leg room, and can be trivial with two specific secrets (hint hint), but I can see how the Caco ambush could be a bit much, with how they surround you and how the floor is damaging slime. Plus, both kinds of enemies take about 6-8 shotgun shells to go down.

Well, the Hell Knights dropped my health down a bit and then the ambush near the exit dropped me to 26 health and I almost died. It would have been really painful to see the exit just right there and have died.

It was a neat little map. Hk fight was too easy. I would probably used either pair mancubi, 4 hell knights or 2 hk with bunch of former humans/imps. Two HKs with that much room to maneuver pose no threat to the player. Cacos were far more interesting to fight because if the player doesn't want to walk across nukage he doesn't much room to maneuver caco's projectiles.

Minor nitpicks:

-Yellow door's placement is a bit odd. Mainly because the player can easily miss it and find the key first (finding the solution before the puzzle).

-Yellow keycard's button is not a button texture but it's not too bad because the texture stands out pretty well.

-The button that is located near caco ambush. To me it was not really clear what it does. (apart from spawning bunch of enemies)

illuknisaa said:

-Yellow keycard's button is not a button texture but it's not too bad because the texture stands out pretty well.

-The button that is located near caco ambush. To me it was not really clear what it does. (apart from spawning bunch of enemies)

Wait, you can activate the keycard button through the wall? Shit. The keycard button was supposed to be blocked by that wall, and when you hit the button near the caco ambush, the blocking wall would lower, revealing the keycard button (which actually has a switch texture). I think I'm gonna go try and fix that now, because that completely ruins the flow of the map.

Version 1.1 released
- fixed getting the yellow key too early
- made the fight after the yellow door harder (think mancubuses)

Its great for one of your first wads. I like how you made the final fight hard, but not stupidly hard. The addition of some different textures would be nice,but thats really nitpicking. Good job overall.

Its cool that you are allready playing with lightning but make the transitions from hell to dark not that "quick" ... The Endfight is kinda easy cause you can bring the mancubi to infight with the Demons :) but it was fun to play and I hope to see more Wads in the Future

DAZZER said:

Its cool that you are allready playing with lightning but make the transitions from hell to dark not that "quick" ... The Endfight is kinda easy cause you can bring the mancubi to infight with the Demons :) but it was fun to play and I hope to see more Wads in the Future

Die Englisch Wort für hell ist "light," und "lightning" bedeuten Blitz, nicht ansaugen.

Vielen Dank :)