Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SharkLordSatan

Halo/Doom.wad (Delayed)

EDIT: So I just want to say something. The reason why this mod hasn't been updated as much as I would like it to is simply put, I'm severely lacking motivation to do it. So technically at the moment it's being delayed indefinitely.

But just because I don't have the inspiration to work on more sprites for NPCs or the maps doesn't mean I'm outright abandoning this project. I just figured I'd mark it being indefinitely delayed for now until I manage to get the energy/motivation to push out more content.

Sorry guys. But I promise that if/when I get the motivation to work on more stuff for this project I will post them!

--

So me and Godfather38 are together working on a Doom/Halo crossover WAD.
They're mainly doing coding for sprites and weapons, while I work on maps. (Or at least that's how we're doing so far)

THE TEAM:
Me/SharkLordSatan (currently doing most sprites for enemies and working on levels)
Godfather38 (currently doing coding for enemies and weapons, since I don't know how to code doom enemies)

PLANS:

* Implement custom weapons (currently planned: Needler)
* Implement a set of levels for singleplayer, with co-op support
* Implement a custom halo-themed HUD and player sprites

Currently included enemies and NPCs:

* All classic Doom/Doom II demons, excluding the Icon of Sin
* Covenant enemies (Elite minor, Elite major, Grunt minor, Jackal sniper, Hunter)
* Captain Lasky (exclusive to the introduction level)

If you wish to participate in this project such as supplying sprites or textures, please let me or Godfather38 know!

Screenshots:

(TO BE UPDATED)

Sounds cool! Maybe you guys could find some inspiration for your project from HaloDoom.

From the looks of it, the weapons seem fine, but the map as it stands looks a bit plain.

I'm more interested in seeing how you're going to plan the last level, where it takes place on the Infinity. Not sure what that would look like, but I'll be waiting with bated breath :)

BloodyAcid said:

Sounds cool! Maybe you guys could find some inspiration for your project from HaloDoom.

From the looks of it, the weapons seem fine, but the map as it stands looks a bit plain.

I'm more interested in seeing how you're going to plan the last level, where it takes place on the Infinity. Not sure what that would look like, but I'll be waiting with bated breath :)

Oh yeah, I've seen HaloDoom and it looks awesome! I'm trying to achieve something similar I guess but using sprites only.

The map is a little bit plain, and I'd show a video of the interior in GZDoom but I don't know how to record.

As for the last level, it's supposed to be a boss arena; you're trapped in a dome of Hellish energy within the hangarbay, all of your allies on the outside, leaving only you and the Maledict himself inside...

Godfather38 said:

Hey, I can record the level real quick, send me a copy of the new LVL version and I will load up bandicam.

Okay! I'll send it to you via email, just give me a moment or two.

Alright, I'm going to need a lot of grunt sprites. and google has forsaken me, so I need you to make some sprites. the table for sprites I need will be shared w/ you on google sheets. the items in column a are names (for the items labeled "other" make them both separate) for the files. sorry for the workload but I have already had my crack at these and I failed miserably. then again this project wasn't going to be easy either.

Alright. I already have some Grunt sprites from that sprite sheet I linked you one time, so I'll probably use some of those as well as modify them.

Sounds pretty interesting, hopefully you guys can pull this off. SLS, when you mentioned about using comic pages as essentially cutscenes, I'd recommend looking at Action Doom 2. It has a similar style for cutscenes, so looking into it with Slade might help on that front.

So, I have come up with a simple release schedule for the mod. it has not been OK'd with SLS yet. my current plan is to release the base WAD sometime in the next week. we will wait for the bugs to flood in until that weekend when we will release an update including, but not limited to: co-op start points on all levels; bug fixes; small bits of content like new powerups; custom music on most if not all levels.
Then, within the following week, we will release a final update. I plan to incude competitive multiplayer levels, more fixes, and possibly new singleplayer levels.
EDIT: it has been OK'd

Godfather38 said:

So, I have come up with a simple release schedule for the mod. it has not been OK'd with SLS yet. my current plan is to release the base WAD sometime in the next week. we will wait for the bugs to flood in until that weekend when we will release an update including, but not limited to: co-op start points on all levels; bug fixes; small bits of content like new powerups; custom music on most if not all levels.
Then, within the following week, we will release a final update. I plan to incude competitive multiplayer levels, more fixes, and possibly new singleplayer levels.

This sounds fine to me. I don't know if we can stick to a schedule for releases (since at this point I'm kind of just doing things at my own pace for levels and sprites) but the rest sounds A-OK. We can squeeze in some new single player levels, probably for the Hell levels. Co-op I'm not 100% sure on (it sounds fun regardless) but everything you've mentioned sounds do-able.

Godfather38 said:

The co op should be the easiest part. just put in multiple start points and it should work fine.

Alright.
And what I'm thinking is after we get the first level done (as in NPCs, props, coding, etc.) we can release it here and then work on the next level, finish it, update the WAD, repeat.

Minor update:

The intro level is going to be remade, for two reasons:

1. it was too small, and had semi-unrealistic portions. The Infinity is at least 2 - 3 miles long, so while I'm obviously not going to map out the entire thing I want it to feel big.

2. I couldn't figure out how to convert the level from doom format to UDMF format, so I gave up and now I'm remaking it in said format.

We have replaced the health packs and a few other sprites for immersion. not much else but I'm bored and thought it should be documented.

Godfather38 said:

We have replaced the health packs and a few other sprites for immersion. not much else but I'm bored and thought it should be documented.

Oooo, do you have screenshots? I'd like to see em c:

Oh yeah, they look great! I'm thinking for some of the powerups some could be replaced with more "Covenant"-y versions (probably like the Radiation Suit, Invisibility Sphere, etc.) as well once we get around to those.

Right, so I believe we are at a crossroads. we can either release the content and upload the maps separately, allowing for people to make expansions and map packs for this much easier, or we can release the whole thing together. we can also take this the route of a total conversion. all depends on how much support we can get from mappers.

Godfather38 said:

Right, so I believe we are at a crossroads. we can either release the content and upload the maps separately, allowing for people to make expansions and map packs for this much easier, or we can release the whole thing together. we can also take this the route of a total conversion. all depends on how much support we can get from mappers.

Either way sounds good. But I actually have an idea in mind that basically goes both ways.

* We can release the changed/added weapons, NPCs and textures seperately, letting people use them in WADs without having to make the content themselves, AND:
* We can also release the whole wad/"campaign" once it's finished.

That way, people both have a fun WAD to play and free resources to use. I'm thinking we can do this after we're 100% done with the whole WAD and have polished all of the sprites, AI, cutscenes and all that.

That is what I was suggesting. however, I would rather not just let them copy paste our content into their wad, I would much rather them just list the mod itself a a required file.

Godfather38 said:

That is what I was suggesting. however, I would rather not just let them copy paste our content into their wad, I would much rather them just list the mod itself a a required file.

Oooh, I get what you see. Yeah I can understand about the copy-pasting thing. If that's how you wanna go then sure, I can roll w/ it.