Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MiNaM

Where are the BFG mods ?

Spoiler alert for people who hasn't pickup the BFG yet!

Spoiler

I didn't read or watch any spoil stuff about the game since it was released, so i was surprised when i got the bfg that they totally cancelled all the weapon mods we heared about in the datamining..

Damn i was saving tons of weapon upgrade points for it :S

No big deal cuz i'm not into a bfg that act as a flame thrower anyway, but where the hell is the charge fire we all saw in the E3 gameplay ?

Did anybody else noticed that the bfg in the E3 gameplay looks different and has some charging before it fires ?

In E3 gameplay, the bfg's rotating green pipes are open before it start charging while in the final release they are covered till it fires.

In E3 gameplay the weapon charges longer and changes nearby lighting to a hellish lighting while charging, while in the final release it charges and fires alot faster without such effects..

Are they saving something for future dlc's ?

p.s i'm on my phone so i can't make a comparison video and too lazy to put on some images x-)

What more could you possibly want it to do? It's literally a "Kill everything in this room" button.

The changes in the trailers/videos were probably for dramatic effect.

Maybe there was an idea for upgrading the special weapons, then they realized that adding mods would make them OP af and would ruin the balance.

Just my guess.

If i remember they are 4 mods for the BFG. the only thing i remember is you can turn the BFG into a flamethrower or some shit!

Wow, flamethrower and lightning mods with some sort of cooldown would be sick

With the bfg you can miss targets many times, it doesnt really always kill everything.

Imagine a lightning mod that turns you into mjolnir for 5 seconds and you direct it where you want and it smashes everything, but has a massive cooldown.

And flamethrower would be great, especially if it pentrates armored stuff like those dumb pinkies. (Sorry I'm mad about pinkies atm, I had to replay necropolis after finishing the game cuz I missed some secrets, and that part where 4 of them spawn (on nightmare) in a narrow room is just .... dumb. Even 2 of them in a narrow room is dumb, but double that?)

Given how much has changed compared to the E3 gameplay and that the BFG shown probably wasn't an ingame weapon the changes to its visuals don't surprise me. The end of the E3 Demo was more of a rendered cutscene (zooming in on the cyberdemon; sudden cut to black) so they went for a more cinematic look of the effects that may be hard to reproduce during gameplay.
Also the shortened charge time is better for its intended role as an "emergency weapon".

AirRaid said:

What more could you possibly want it to do? It's literally a "Kill everything in this room" button.

The changes in the trailers/videos were probably for dramatic effect.

I want it to feel more classic, as i said before i don't give a damn about bfg mods but what i was talking about is the effects and how it acts, feels, and sounds way more powerful in the E3 gameplay than in the final release..

Come on, in the E3 gameplay the bfg shakes and screams of power while charging, changes the nearby lighting like a hell gate has just opened, while in the final release it's just one click & BAAM... everything just vaporised !

The bfg is all about charged plasma, it's too fast in the final release that it doesn't feel like a classic bfg "it was in E3"

Just saying, the bfg charges before it fires in all classic Dooms, in Quake 2 & 3, in Doom 3, and in Rage, but not in Doom '16

Pretty sure the charged fire was a weapon mod that got dropped in the final release.. or maybe they are keeping those for later plans ?!

Xeliv said:

The end of the E3 Demo was more of a rendered cutscene (zooming in on the cyberdemon; sudden cut to black) so they went for a more cinematic look of the effects that may be hard to reproduce during gameplay.

Spoiler

it does that in the final release when you first meet the cyberdemon!

MiNaM said:

it does that in the final release when you first meet the cyberdemon!

I know but that doesn't change the fact that both are cutscenes which gives more opportunities of adding special effects that might be too performance-hungry or hard to implement during actual gameplay.

TBH, if the BFG had any mods, it would be so hilariously broken.
It's already a huge "I win" button, if it got any more powerful, the ability to cheese through difficult areas/bosses would be stupid.

About BFG firing much faster in final - it takes the role of a last resort weapon. Like when you are outnumbered, in corner and have a couple of health points, you fire BFG and make that epic comeback. Wouldn't be possible with BFG taking time to shoot.

Last year when the alpha came out, i remember seeing a screenshot which showed that you can mod the BFG, i lost it a long ago though.

Looks like they were simply cut.

Even the chainsaw had mods, one of them was called "Super Chainsaw" if my memory isn't fucking with me.

Not sure what that was supposed to do either.

massivefanofdoom said:

Wow, flamethrower and lightning mods with some sort of cooldown would be sick

With the bfg you can miss targets many times, it doesnt really always kill everything.

Imagine a lightning mod that turns you into mjolnir for 5 seconds and you direct it where you want and it smashes everything, but has a massive cooldown.

And flamethrower would be great, especially if it pentrates armored stuff like those dumb pinkies. (Sorry I'm mad about pinkies atm, I had to replay necropolis after finishing the game cuz I missed some secrets, and that part where 4 of them spawn (on nightmare) in a narrow room is just .... dumb. Even 2 of them in a narrow room is dumb, but double that?)

"Mjolnir"? What are you talking about?

BFG mods are not that absurd. BFG is very powerful, but it is still not a "guaranteed win" weapon. There are classic Doom mods that have spread-shot BFGs or automatic BFGs, for example (arguably, finding proper battles for such weaponry can be difficult). Flamethrower BFG does not make too much sense for me, I would rather see a plasmathrower mod for Plasma Rifle. As for the lightning mod... why there is not Lightning Gun from multiplayer in singleplayer as well in the first place?!

As for the BFG mods in Doom 4... yeah, there is probably nothing strong enough to warrant those. So, expansion pack time!?

If the BFG was modded then it would remind me of that "unmaker" weapon from DOOM 64 when you collect all artifacts then the Laser gun became more powerful than the BFG lol.

shotfan said:

"Mjolnir"? What are you talking about?

BFG mods are not that absurd. BFG is very powerful, but it is still not a "guaranteed win" weapon. There are classic Doom mods that have spread-shot BFGs or automatic BFGs, for example (arguably, finding proper battles for such weaponry can be difficult). Flamethrower BFG does not make too much sense for me, I would rather see a plasmathrower mod for Plasma Rifle. As for the lightning mod... why there is not Lightning Gun from multiplayer in singleplayer as well in the first place?!

As for the BFG mods in Doom 4... yeah, there is probably nothing strong enough to warrant those. So, expansion pack time!?

mjolnir https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mj%C3%B6lnir

lightning gun in mp ... yes, but not in sp. You are right. However, I really dont like the feel of this lightning gun, they screwed it up imo.

BFG defintely needs a mod..it should have the passive upgrade that instant kill yourself and restart a lv as a punishment for your stupidity for miss such OP 1 hit kill.