Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest MIND

Staying with Windows 7 past support date

Guest MIND

What happens if I stay with Windows 7 past it's Extended Support cycle in 2020?

I REALLY don't feel like fucking re-installing all my programs and shit. Really. I don't want to.

I hope to god that Windows 10 is the LAST version of Windows but it says support for it ends in 2025.

I've had non-stop problems with Windows 10 over the last 6 months, I'm seriously considering rolling back to Windows 7.

Mostly to do with unsupported drivers and compatibility between Windows 10 and graphics drivers. For example I can't update my integrated graphics card, Intel HD 4600. It's over a year out of date, there is an essential Win 10 driver update, but I get the error 'your system doesn't meet minimum requirements' even though it does... there are also memory issues and conflicts with NVidia cards too.

MINDustry said:

That's it for Windows 7, no more security patches or fixes.

MINDustry said:

I REALLY don't feel like fucking re-installing all my programs and shit. Really. I don't want to.

If you do the upgrade, you wont need to reinstall all of the programs, but maybe some that the upgrader deems necessary.... I can't say which will be removed, other than Windows will do it for you automatically without warning and will never tell you about it. Atleast that's how it worked for me when I migrated after the first week of its release.

MINDustry said:

I hope to god that Windows 10 is the LAST version of Windows but it says support for it ends in 2025.

Windows 10 is NOT the last version of Windows. Depending on the future, a new Windows version will be available either by - the way it is now or by a service like Office 365.

MINDustry said:

Nothing? Unless you frequently contact microsoft about problems with your os, which they will no longer help you with.

Guest MIND
Tiger said:

That's it for Windows 7, no more security patches or fixes.

If you do the upgrade, you wont need to reinstall all of the programs, but maybe some that the upgrader deems necessary.... I can't say which will be removed, other than Windows will do it for you automatically without warning and will never tell you about it. Atleast that's how it worked for me when I migrated after the first week of its release.

Windows 10 is NOT the last version of Windows. Depending on the future, a new Windows version will be available either by - the way it is now or by a service like Office 365.

I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

What if I want the Pro version?

Is the "Upgrade" I get Pro or Home?

Also if I wait until 2020 instead of doing the upgrade now will I have to re-install everything?

If I can just upgrade now and keep everything I'd much rather do that than wait and have to re-install everything manually.

MINDustry said:

I have Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

What if I want the Pro version?

Is the "Upgrade" I get Pro or Home?

Check this link: Upgrade to Windows 10 FAQ, particularly at "What edition of Windows will I get as part of the free upgrade?"

Guest MIND
Tiger said:

Check this link: Windows 10 FAQ, particularly at "What edition of Windows will I get as part of the free upgrade?"

Also if I wait until 2020 instead of doing the upgrade now will I have to re-install everything?

If I can just upgrade now and keep everything I'd much rather do that than wait and have to re-install everything manually.

MINDustry said:

You have a very limited time window to upgrade, according to the FAQ I posted previously:

The free Windows 10 upgrade offer will end on July 29, 2016.

You do have to option to upgrade at this moment to reserve the Windows 10 key, and then rollback or re-install Windows 7. However, if you wait to reserve your free copy after the stated date, you're out of luck.

Guest MIND
Tiger said:

You have a very limited time window to upgrade, according to the FAQ I posted previously:
You do have to option to upgrade at this moment to reserve the Windows 10 key, and then rollback or re-install Windows 7. However, if you wait to reserve your free copy after the stated date, you're out of luck.

I'm guessing most people have made the switch since Windows 7 is an old OS or maybe I'm wrong. Maybe most people hate 10.

I guess Win7 will stay the main choice for quite some time for people with weaker machines/HATRED to touchscreen features/etc. Seriously though, people are still on XP and they're fine with it.

Guest MIND

I think I'm just going to wait until Windows 7 comes to an end in 2020 and then decide what I want to do. By then, I'll know if W10 is the last version of Windows or not as well as if the bugs and spyware have been lifted.

bzzrak said:

I guess Win7 will stay the main choice for quite some time for people with weaker machines/HATRED to touchscreen features/etc. Seriously though, people are still on XP and they're fine with it.

My machine can take Windows 10, I just don't see the point in upgrading if I loose all of my files and shit.

MINDustry said:

I think I'm just going to wait until Windows 7 comes to an end in 2020 and then decide what I want to do. By then, I'll know if W10 is the last version of Windows or not as well as if the bugs and spyware have been lifted.

They haven't removed all the bugs and spyware from Windows 7. They're certainly never going to do it with 10. Microsoft likes collecting data, and Windows is so complex many bugs persist for decades before they're found, let alone fixed.

Windows 10 seems fairly popular, even with people who insisted on sticking with XP for a very long time. Maybe it gets a huge boost from 8's horrible reputation.

Guest MIND

Well what's the difference between me upgrading to Windows 10 before July now or waiting until 2020?

I have had no problems with 8/8.1 besides getting used to the new interface, but with 10 I installed it on the same PC and the only issue I had was with my sound drivers, but that has been fixed now.

For people that like 7, I recommend upgrading to 8.1 and installing Classic Shell. It's a good OS nowadays, better than 7 imo.

I intend on sticking with Windows 7 as long as my hard drive survives and all the games I want to play work on it. The only reason I got 7 was because new games stopped working on XP.

Guest MIND
Tiger said:

I can't say which will be removed, other than Windows will do it for you automatically without warning and will never tell you about it. Atleast that's how it worked for me when I migrated after the first week of its release.

Well, fuck that then. I'm not upgrading if I can just wait until 2020 and transfer everything over myself so that I KNOW I'm getting the same stuff.

They don't tell you what they removed. That's just fucking ridiculous.

MINDustry said:

Well what's the difference between me upgrading to Windows 10 before July now or waiting until 2020?

The difference is that it's free if you do it now. It'll cost you money if you wait until 2020.

I wanna go back to DOS. I'm kinda fed up of all these constant upgrades and shit. All the good x86 games are for DOS anyway.

By 2020 Linux will be so user friendly and supportive that only really dedicated users would have issues. You probably won't be using DX12 on linux by then, nonetheless the switch should be seamless if you don't want to keep using Windows. If you are going to be gaming a lot..there is also SteamOS? Don't know how that will be.

Anyways, if you are on Win7 or Win8, if you have Windows Update enabled then you will eventually be forced into Windows 10, you will literally wake up one day and it will be Windows 10 without warning and without asking. I have since disabled Windows Update.

Mechazawa said:

By 2020 Linux will be so user friendly and supportive that only really dedicated users would have issues

Aaaahahahahahahahahhaaaa

Mechazawa said:

Anyways, if you are on Win7 or Win8, if you have Windows Update enabled then you will eventually be forced into Windows 10, you will literally wake up one day and it will be Windows 10 without warning and without asking. I have since disabled Windows Update.

I turned that shit off.

My best friend wasn't so predictable.

Just throwing it out there, of everyone who I know who has Windows 10, those who upgraded from an earlier version have had non-stop issues with Windows 10, whereas those that use Windows 10 from a fresh install like it.

I know this because I asked around before installing Windows 10 when I built my new PC. Whether this is coincidence or a reasonable correlation, I don't know; but I'm using Windows 10 with no issue, and that's from a fresh install.

Regarding the question OP asked, ultimately, Windows will no longer release updates for the operating system, just like Windows XP - you can still use WinXP now, but there's no new patches for it.

As for people who's still on Windows 7 / 8, watch out for the GWX (Get Windows 10) shit. Microsoft are pushing bullshit moves to force people onto Windows 10.

I mean, we have four more years on Windows 7 for the support anyways. I've been considering to get Windows 10, then there's that chance at saying "NO" and continuing onto Windows 7.

So here's a story:
I bought my laptop some time ago and it had Windows 8.1 pre-installed. I already disliked Win 8/8.1 because i always had some issues running them (performance often drops for no reason, etc.), but anyway.. As soon as i started using my laptop i turned updates off, because auto-update system is annoying. However, one day, the performance of my laptop began to drop to the point that it was really hard to even just use my browser. I was wondering why was that happening at first.. and then i checked update center and.. updates are turned on and the motherfucking computer is happily downloading updates!! I'm not kidding: it somehow turned updates on by itself and was updating on it's own! I wasn't happy about that at all..
And then i just gave up and let the computer update whenever it fn wants..
Microsofts are evil.. :(

I can imagine in the future, Linux will be a better replacement for windows. As Linux has done a lot in a few years, gathering better Driver support, and game support thanks to valve. I don't imagine it replacing windows, but being a true competitor to windows? possible. The Linux community does need to start focusing on solving the issues with what platform to develop for. Though this is becoming less and less of an issue thanks to newer distributions being based on Ubuntu or Debian. I made the jump to Linux a few months ago, while using a LTS model distribution I have had no issues.