Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JohnnyTheWolf

Rebalancing Thy Flesh Consumed?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

If I take too much damage or waste too much ammo before exiting E4M1, I usually prefer to start over.

Totally, when playing "Perfect Hatred" you gotta at least have enough ammo for that beginning, it's really tough, for me, tougher than E4M1.

^Solution: pistol-start!

I wouldn't change/rebalance E4's more challenging maps for the world, particularly not E4M1, which is cool precisely because it's the first map. Being able to leave a lasting trauma with that many players over the years is a beautiful thing, I tell you, not to be taken lightly.

Reckon you wouldn't have to work too terribly hard to convince me that the episode would be better if certain maps hadn't simply been scrapped and replaced with something more worthwhile, though (cough cough E4M4).

E4M2, especially the starting area, seems to make infighting a very valuable commodity, especially if you're low on ammo. The Cacodemons and Barons will almost certainly win but you won't have to waste ammo on the weaker Imps. Once you get the Plasma Rifle, the tables can begin to turn in your favor.

Demon of the Well said:

I wouldn't change/rebalance E4's more challenging maps for the world, particularly not E4M1, which is cool precisely because it's the first map. Being able to leave a lasting trauma with that many players over the years is a beautiful thing, I tell you, not to be taken lightly.

Only to leave them disappointed that the rest of the episode is nowhere near as hard... :/

Even the encounter with a Spiderdemon in the final mission is surprisingly anticlimactic.

Reckon you wouldn't have to work too terribly hard to convince me that the episode would be better if certain maps hadn't simply been scrapped and replaced with something more worthwhile, though (cough cough E4M4).

I actually find E4M4 to be much more enjoyable. Heck, it might have worked better as the first level.

pistol starting the secret level in episode 4 was the hardest level for me - and E4M2 felt really refreshing, I never played such a hard map before, it was really fun

e4m1 wasn't all too difficult for me. e4m2 was to me probably the hardest level in the doom series. Not counting plutonia. Can't imagine trying it from pistol start unless I was specifically doing a speed run to skip everything.

I wanna see a 100% Nightmare Run on the Saturn Version.

Mechazawa said:

I wanna see a 100% Nightmare Run on the Saturn Version.

Since the Saturn version only goes up to UV (and it's a gimped UV compared to the original at that), good luck. ;)

Jayextee said:

Since the Saturn version only goes up to UV (and it's a gimped UV compared to the original at that), good luck. ;)

Ooooh, did not know that. But' I'd like to see that too. :D All I know about saturn doom is that its apparently very slow. Then again, I first beat doom on snes several times over before I experienced the PC version.

Not only is Saturn Doom slow, it's inconsistently so. On Doom II's The Courtyard, it's possible to shoot a rocket from one end whilst running forward, and run right through it. Looks like some elements are delta-timed and some aren't.