Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lost Soul

Underwater Sectors

My main question is... HOW?! I've been trying out various theories using DeePsea, but I can't seem to make it work. I tried loading a wad that I knew had a few of them in DeePsea to have a look at how they are done, but I got no real info out of them.
does anybody know??

and one more thing. I'm getting a message that's new. Zwadconv??
what IS it and how do I use it?

These instructons for zdoom. The underwater sector will have a tag, which is shared by a "transfer heights" line in another sector, usually a small sector in void space. Note the heights used in the actual swimmable sector vs. the transfer heights sector, and the flats used. It seems a bit odd at first examination, but you'll probably get it.

Zwadconv.exe, a supplied zdoom utility to convert doom wad structure into "Hexen" structure, to allow use of scripts, etc. Check the editing utilities on zdoom.notgod.com. This can be used on doom2.wad, for example, to produce a wad to be used for zdoom editing resources. "zwadconv doom2.wad zdiwhack.wad" will be in accordance with some zdoom editing documentation.

I downloaded the zwadconv.exe from Doomworld, but I'm having trouble making it do anything but close itself. I double click on the .exe file and it opens and shuts again in a matter if milliseconds. unless I do it from DOS. I used the parameter you left the zwadconv doom2.wad zdiwhacked.wad, and it did something to the Doom 2 wad, but I'm still getting the message from DeePsea that I need to convert the .wad file using zwadconv.
wtf??

and as far as Pwads go.. if I made one using normal Zdoom settings, and not Zdoom/hexen settings, can I convert that one too? or do I have to begin with a converted Iwad before making one to be compatible in the first place?

You are close, and the dragging approach would probably work except that you need to specify a file name for the output of zwadconv.exe, and you can only give the input file by this approach.
You can open a DOS box, change directory to the folder which contains the files and type the command line "zwadconv doom2.wad mynew.wad".

If you have trouble with the DOS command prompt, use windows explorer and go to the folder with zwadconv.exe, right click on it, make shortcut. Now, right click on the shortcut, properties, see the "target" entry, add the two names of the files to it, close and execute (double click on the shortcut). Mine looks like this:

C:\Games\editwork\zwadconv.exe doom2.wad zdiwhack.wad

Lost Soul said:

I used the parameter you left the zwadconv doom2.wad zdiwhacked.wad, and it did something to the Doom 2 wad, but I'm still getting the message from DeePsea that I need to convert the .wad file using zwadconv.
wtf??

You probably made a typo above, "zdiwhacked"? That's ten letters and there may be a reason it's preferred to stick to the old 8.3 file naming convention.

Zwadconv should do nothing to your doom2.wad. You need to point the DeePsea zdoom-hexen.prj to the new file you made, the zdiwhack.wad.

and as for unfinished custom pwads, that it wish to continue with the new settings, is it possible to convert it too? or do I need to begin again witha pre- converted iwad?

Sure, you can convert any wad. A doom2 project (pwad) can be run through zwadconv, then switch your editor configuration over to the zdoom.wcf or the zdoom-hexen.prj. I don't know about other editors than those.

Biffy said:
These instructons for zdoom. The underwater sector will have a tag, which is shared by a "transfer heights" line in another sector, usually a small sector in void space. Note the heights used in the actual swimmable sector vs. the transfer heights sector, and the flats used. It seems a bit odd at first examination, but you'll probably get it.

Soo.. I need to make a sector, within a sector, under or over another one? or a sector, within a sector, within a sector? I'm kind of confused.

No, the sector with the water is defined as full height, from bottom of pool to sky. The other sector is not on top or over the first. It's somewhere else, and a line special transfers some of its properties to the swimmable sector. There is also a "water sector" thing you need to use to make a sector actually swimmable up and down. I'll send an example to whatever email address I can find here.

There are several other threads pertaining to your question in this forum already. See Doomboy's question regarding "deep water". Or check out Doomworld's Editing Tutorials. The linked Boom feature translates to ZDoom as well. ZDoom also has swimmable water... for more details see those other threads.

Lost Soul said:

an example, or a .txt doc with a step by step ex would be fantastic. I'm still lost on the creation of this 'special line' I need.
if you can;t find a mail address, send it to red_spook@hotmail.com

Done, check your mail, let me know if it does not arrive in good shape.