Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Frisky

Teleporting Monsters

Whether it's scripting or normal mapping, I want to make monsters teleport to a specific place when triggered to.
Is it possible to do this in GZDoom? I really want to do this to make some really nice ambushes. If it is possible, how can I do it?

You create a monster battery with teleport lines, then you create a sector where you want to teleport them, inside that sector you place a teleport destination, and you're more or less set. Don't forget to tag sectors accordingly.

EDIT: No scripting involved, can be done in any map builder that I have seen so far.

Don't forget that you also have to link the control sector with the destination sector (the control sector is where you monsters are gonna be teleporting from) and, most importantly, you have to not tag these monsters as deaf.

Of course, you can also use scripting. Spawnspotfacing is the function you are looking for (there are more though, but I personally use this one ^^).

Basically, place a mapspot (or even a teleportation spot) anywhere on the map (usually where you want your monster(s) to teleport in) and asign this mapspot a tag (only in zdoom formats and derived (zandronum, etc...) can you asign tags to things). Then, call a script that will spawn the monster (s) in the asigned mapspot(s). You will find tutorials on the official zdoom wikia if you want to use that way.

Another script-free way to do it is make the sector where the monster starts push the monster in a certain direction (sector scroll), and put a door in its way. When you trigger the door to open, the monster is pushed across the teleport line. The monster can be deaf (but doesn't have to be) and you do not need to link the starting sector for the monster to hear the player.

Sure Bowb said:

You create a monster battery with teleport lines, then you create a sector where you want to teleport them, inside that sector you place a teleport destination, and you're more or less set. Don't forget to tag sectors accordingly.

EDIT: No scripting involved, can be done in any map builder that I have seen so far.

Could you provide an example of some sort?

Make one room, place monsters, make one line and mark "Action 97" - teleport. These lines shouldnt be near wall, or monsters cant teleport.

After that, you need that these monsters can hear you. You mark on first a battlefield where monsters will teleport and later this sector. After marking press "J" - room will connect (on sector room will get same hight ceill and floor as on battlefield, but monsters can hear you). After shoot, monsters will teleport.

Frisky said:

Could you provide an example of some sort?

1. You create a room outside of the playable area. Make it only as big as it needs to be. Fill in the monsters, make sure they are not "deaf".

2. Decide from which sector in the playable area you want the monsters in your newly created battery to be able to hear the player.

3. In sectors mode, mark both your battery and the area in which you want the ambush to happen, and join these sectors.

4. now add another sector to your battery, mark it, give it a tag number, enter linedefs mode, turn the sector boundaries into teleport lines.

5. now create a small sector where you want the monsters to appear, give it the same tag as the sector in your monsters battery, and place a teleport destination thing inside.

That should be pretty much it.

In case you want examples, there's an editing tutorial on these forums, you might want to give it a read or two.

EDIT: Here's a link

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing-tutorials/74156-vanilla-level-editing-lesson-11-lets-get-the-hell-out-of-here/