Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HexenMapper

IMPatience [Doom from an imps perspective - 21 maps]

Some crazed UAC marine is running amok through our facilities!
One imp is tired of waiting around...

Impatience: Doom from a new perspective

• Player plays as an imp, starting in classic imp positions. Primary fire is melee attack, secondary fire is a fireball
  • The enemy is the UAC marine, who will run through the levels killing your buddies! Kill him 3 times to advance to the next map (5 times in later levels)
  • 21 maps done so far. Alternating between doom1 and doom2 maps.
  • 4 player starts for co op play
  • Player can pick up weapons, becoming a sergeant imp, to lead the masses!
  • The marine starts with better and better weapons, but loses them after being killed, being forced to pistol start.
  • The marine starts with the shotgun by map2, and rocket launcher by map 6. By map 6 he also respawns with a shotgun
Note that the imp can't activate buttons or doors, but most of the doors in each map have been opened, and some platforms have had walk-over triggers added so that imps and the UAC monster can activate them.
Difficulty levels are not what they used to be! Higher difficulty means more allies for you, so UV becomes easy mode, and HMP becomes pretty hard. ITYTD is kind of easy, but far fewer allies for you, and HNTR Is a rough ride, but feels pretty commando
Also the map names are screwed up until I add in the MAPINFO to correct them (is there a way to do this without having to redefine the skies?)

DOWNLOAD:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/kpklp9jk5hy4kc5/Impatience_52.rar
Runs in zdoom and Gzdoom with the doom2.wad

I Have discontinued work on this mod, but feel free to take over:

If anyone would like to help with this project, the steps to converting a map to IMPatience can be found here:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51988&p=908642#p908642

[b]Screenshots:
Spoiler

Gameplay
Spoiler

Imp demon image by FinoRaptor http://finoraptor.deviantart.com/

Rofl, playing as a imp, this is a hilarious idea, i've played this and your A Morte mod, these are great mods, i definently recommend them.

Jesus, when the marine has a plasma gun, shit gets real. I know understand how the imps feel when they see us (the player) zigzaging all arround the place while shooting plasma bullets :(

Really fun concept though :D

Omfg yes. I love counter-operative-styled play. Downloading now!

Now this is definitely an interesting mod. I'd like to see other monsters implemented into similar mods. Playing as a Revenant or a Mancubus would be fun.

SavageCorona said:

Now this is definitely an interesting mod. I'd like to see other monsters implemented into similar mods. Playing as a Revenant or a Mancubus would be fun.

There is a mod like this and I can't remember the name for the life on me :/ I played it on skulltag a long time ago

Couldn't there be a way to make this mod work (possibly with minor differences to the current concept) without including modified versions of IWAD maps in it?

Well there was master of puppets, but I wasn't a huge fan of playing it, though that could be due to the servers and map list/random rules more-so than the mod itself. Still, it's fun and worth a try if you having played it before. Not sure if there are still servers for it that are active, tho.

Was enjoying this, but in Underhalls the imp starts, like, in a wedge of other imps far from the action, unable to get past without infighting. Is this a metacommentary on the boredom of being a typical monster or what?

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

There is a mod like this and I can't remember the name for the life on me :/ I played it on skulltag a long time ago

I remember a couple of wads along the lines of infight.wad but they were just playing as the monsters going through the maps rather than fighting the marine as he tries to finish the level. There was another one where there were multiple marines throughout the map fighting the demons while you played as one but it was really just complete the levels a'la Doom.

On a different note, I found in The Crusher you can get stuck in that little secret next to the lift inside the blue door. Not sure if this is intentional but it's annoying.

Amazing!

I love how the Marine feels like the player(I know its just a bot)

Just thinking: could you make a mod that makes all the demons bots? With restrictions, of course.

Also: for the impatience mod, could you edit the gun sprites so that it looks like an imp is holding it? (haha, imps using the SSG, haha!)

I also love that feeling of Deathmatch you added.

@nerdturtle could you be talking about Empathy?

Thanks for all the feedback guys, its a fun mod! glad you're enjoying it.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

Yep I think thats Empathy, you can play as all of the doom monsters, but you start in normal doomguy starting positions, and you kill demons so its kind of... weird.
Definitely worth checking out though.

@scifista42 I dont think its possible, there is a decent process to prepare a map for IMPatience, you have to go around and open all the doors, move all the player starts around, delete some imps, add the doomguy/marine and some patrol points for him to follow, and you need to add 5 or 6 ACS scripts. I dont really think there's a way to do all that without manually editing each level. Also each level is playtested and balanced, ideally so that the marine can kill everything in the map unless you stop him!

What I do want to do next is to create a "Stealth IMP" mod a la Metal Gear Solid. You play as a single imp, you have to sneak into a facility full of UAC marines and personnel, and sabotage their facility. It will require a bit of fooling around to get a stealth/detection system working (and Ideally visible cones of view from the guards) and I'll need to make custom maps for it, but it could be another fun way to try Doom from the demons side!

@Voros Yep I made a custom bot for this mod, the standard scripted marines just didn't do what I wanted, so I just started from scratch. He gets pretty damn fast and doesn't fuck around in later levels....
My only issue is I'm 20 maps in and doomguy is already starting with plasma guns and rocket launchers. I dont really want him to be starting with BFG every time (just on special occasions!) so perhaps the way to "ramp up the intensity" would be to add in.... More marines...? as if the marines are playing co op? I definitely want to keep things fresh as levels go on, dont really want doomguy always starting with the same weapon. Gotta mix it up!
Good point about the hands on the weapons though, I'll see what I can do, definitely worth it for immersion!

@SavageCorona I'll check out that bug, thanks
EDIT - Fixed and OP link updated (Impatience_45.rar)

@rdwpa yep that's intentional, and in fact on UV you dont even need to do anything to finish the level... which is kind of dumb. I may change it later on, but there are very limited imp starting positions on that map so you might just have to either wait or kill your way out. On lower difficulties doomguy will make it to your area fairly quickly, as there's less for him to kill.

@J.B.R thank you, you are too kind.

If you replace all the all the levels with say: Freedoom maps, you could upload this to /idgames with little hassle, and it'll feels nice too to see Freedoom assets being used in a project.

Anyway, there's a blue keycard on map14.

I second the coop marines idea.

Just tried this mod out for a bit, had a blast! The first time I saw the twitching marine blaze through the stage, it scared the crap out of me.

Keep up the good shit, looking forward to more.

Just played a few levels. The idea behind this mod is so awesome. :D Very well done!
It`s kind of hard to kill the doomguy with claws only though, I always had to resort to a shotgun. I also love how the doomguy jiggles trough the levels and how you can wait around a corner for him. :D

HexenMapper said:

@scifista42 I dont think its possible, there is a decent process to prepare a map for IMPatience, [...] I dont really think there's a way to do all that without manually editing each level. Also each level is playtested and balanced, ideally so that the marine can kill everything in the map unless you stop him!

That's why I mentioned changing the concept of the mod, so that it could be used as a pure gameplay mod, working with any maps, without requiring maps made specifically for itself. I thought it could be worth it - not only you wouldn't have to redistribute modified commercial content (which you should refrain from doing anyway), but you'd also make the mod much more widely usable AND save yourself all work with mapping.

You could make changes to make it work with any single-player or coop map, like allowing the player to use doors and lifts, giving the player throughspecies so he can walk through other monsters. Alternatively, you could do it the way you are doing it, but use maps other than commercial iwad maps to make it legal.

@Empyre + scifista42
These are great ideas, I would certainly like to try to keep things legal and some kind of workaround to allow this concept to work with any mod would be excellent. I'm aware that the doom1 levels aren't supposed to be distributed and I really shouldn't have started this project with them in there, even if they are some of the most classic imp starting positions of all time! I'm not making any money from this and purely posting it for people's enjoyment (trying not to distribute it beyond posting the link on the doomworld and zdoom forums) so I hope there isn't too much of an issue at the moment.

My main problem with doing this without map editing would be moving player starts all via ACS to a randomized imp actor, then removing the actor. Also without a customized patrol route, the marine wont traverse the levels very well at all, although I could just set him to randomly wander and kill anything in sight. I've found that he tends to get stuck in corners and you have to go find him, which is very dangerous. Usually best to engage the marine when he's busy trying to kill your friends!

This mod could be made as a simple imp replacement of the player, but Empathy has already done that, and I think the magic is in trying to get that damn overpowered marine as he sprints through the levels laying waste to your allies. Going through normal levels as an imp against your fellow imps and demons doesn't really feel right, I feel.

Having the imp capable of opening doors and triggering switches would certainly help, but it would also mean the imp could potentially end the level the old fashioned way, without having to kill the marine.

Updated: 20th and 21st maps added.

Thanks to those who nominated this for a caco! glad you guys are enjoying it

Fonze said:

Well there was master of puppets, but I wasn't a huge fan of playing it, though that could be due to the servers and map list/random rules more-so than the mod itself. Still, it's fun and worth a try if you having played it before. Not sure if there are still servers for it that are active, tho.

This was it! I played it in skulltag back when that was a thing

HexenMapper said:

@Empyre + scifista42
These are great ideas, I would certainly like to try to keep things legal and some kind of workaround to allow this concept to work with any mod would be excellent. I'm aware that the doom1 levels aren't supposed to be distributed and I really shouldn't have started this project with them in there, even if they are some of the most classic imp starting positions of all time! I'm not making any money from this and purely posting it for people's enjoyment (trying not to distribute it beyond posting the link on the doomworld and zdoom forums) so I hope there isn't too much of an issue at the moment.

You might want to split the proyect in 2:
*The ultimate Impatience for doom 1 levels
*Impatience : Hell on earth for doom 2 levels

Really love the concept and liked the overpowered marine that roams. You should consider adding the option to start as some of the other monsters

Instead of playing as only one Imp capable of picking up items and weapons, how about switching to a different monster every time you die?

DMPhobos said:

You might want to split the proyect in 2:
*The ultimate Impatience for doom 1 levels
*Impatience : Hell on earth for doom 2 levels

Really love the concept and liked the overpowered marine that roams. You should consider adding the option to start as some of the other monsters

Thats a great idea! thanks. Splitting the project in 2 might be the ticket

@JohnnyTheWolf I was thinking about adding a "resurrect" button once you died, but I think it makes you feel more badass when you do complete the map without dying. It also encourages you to play smarter and take fewer risks, ideally engaging the marine while he's busy fighting, or after he's taken some damage. It would be cool to restart as a new imp, but some maps dont really have enough imps for this (and I would have to work out something for co-op too), and simply restarting the whole map works fine.

We've made it to the big time folks, MR ICARUS has reviewed this in his doom mod madness series. He had some great ideas and I'll see what I can do to implement some of them, as well as some others from the comments.

Will you develop this mod untill you can play as a hell knight/baron of hell/cyberdemon/mancubus/arachnotron/revenant and fight several marines at once? It would make the mod more varied.