Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chickensoup101

Remember all the backlash about Doom 2016?

Man, they feeling so stupid right now

I remember they said that Doom 2016 will end up being Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines, because they think that ID is hiding something and all the game demos on youtube and E3 are fake and scripted. Guess what! the gameplay and everything else you see at the demo on E3 are in the final released! Except they re-skin the Imp and modified the maps and graphics. Also, who made Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens Colonial Marines?... FUCKING GEARBOX!!!

And let us all not forget about the classic argument about "Glory kills will slow down the combat" and "The speed is too slow" Especially, the Multiplayer! They think that Doom will be a flop and terrible because of the Multiplayer beta.

The criticism was not exactly unfounded even with hindsight. Bethesda did an awful job marketing this game, and it almost seemed like they were desperately trying to hide how the game really played. It was only with the NVidia demo right before the release that we really got an accurate depiction of the game, and that wasn't even really part of the official marketing effort.

The strategy of letting the campaign speak for itself was very bold.
Be it out of insecurity, arrogance, or confidence, I actually liked the fact they didn't pander to a bunch of headset messiahs and snubbed them on advance release copies.

The backlash was about Multiplayer, SP killed it sorta, Some negative reviews still exist .

I believe i said this once before, but it was the MP, Bethseda advertised the shit outta MP, the Beta and all that other crap that no one cared about, thus fucking up big time.
Now that the game has been released the negativity is mostly on the MP and Snapmap and for good reasons, because:
- The MP was made by Certain Affinity, you know the guys who made Halo MP? Yeah, these are the people who made this broken ass mediocre MP.
And and hackers and all those types of scum, no anti-cheating mesures either.

- The Snapmap is very limited, ID said that updates would come in the future, well?
Where are the updates? It's been 17 days and no sign of updates for Snapmap, just for SP and various stability issue fixes that had been in the release.

Updates tend to take overtly long times to arrive, so I would be surprised if they make it at the end of the month with at least one for snapmap.

Simply, they had no time for multiplayer and SnapMap. Just wait for major updates and DLCs.

Singleplayer of new Doom best thing happens to id Software since Quake 3: Arena release.

J.B.R said:

Where are the updates? It's been 17 days and no sign of updates for Snapmap, just for SP and various stability issue fixes that had been in the release.

17 days and you're already expecting an update? I think you're far too used to day one DLC (which is a shady marketing strategy). So far it looks to me like they're doing this right. No review codes so that gamers can make up their own mind, a killer single player campaign that has earned its hallmark of the bygone days when games were still good, and no day one DLC to force people to pay extra for content that's already (or could have already) been in the game. And it's not so lackluster as Street Fighter V which was bare bones when it came out. It's got enough going for it to keep us entertained and busy for a while until they can start releasing substantial updates. There's no proof of that certainly, but again they've done everything more or less right by me so far.

Ya I remember ten days in feverishly wondering what will come of the first patch and I was like, oh ya, most of id is relaxing with they're families after smashing out this amazing game for years XD. It will come, I promise you.

I mean the marketing for this game was terrible and the E3 demo they should didn't look too hot.

I think people were right to be worried about this game

I love that they took the criticism in stride and made the game colorful, even in the darkest parts of hell. Fx titan level with the poison / yellow ky area, or kadingir final arena with all that red and then the quad damage purple in the middle. And how about the lazarus's labs, all that ominous soundtrack and dark beginnings and then those labs full of all sorts of colors? LOVIN IT LIKE MCDONALDS LOL

The negativity the IGN review received on YouTube is a great example of how quickly the tables turn.

HellVain said:

People still trust ign reviews?

*sigh*

GoatLord's post which you're replying to pretty much stated that no, no they don't.

Dragonfly said:

*sigh*

GoatLord's post which you're replying to pretty much stated that no, no they don't.

You're fun at parties aren't you?

I do remember all the backlash, and I was always defending the game as well. I had high expectations for the Single-Player more then I did the MP, but Bethesda kept shoving the MP down our throats and thus, more backlash was thrown at the game.

Chickensoup101 said:

Man, they feeling so stupid right now

Not really. Doom 2016 seems to be generally what I expected: a decent but overpriced first-person shooter that plays it extremely safe, does not take any risk nor try to bring anything new to the franchise, let alone the genre, and offers little in terms of modding and technology.

My only (unpleasant) surprises come from the soundtrack - which I really did not expect to absolutely despise - and the story, which actually managed to disappoint me. Maybe I have been spoiled by Shadow Warrior 2013 and its ability to tell a fun, engaging story within a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, but I was expecting something a bit more clever than just "DOOMGUY ANGRY! DOOMGUY SMASH!".

JohnnyTheWolf said:

plays it extremely safe, does not take any risk nor try to bring anything new to the franchise, let alone the genre,

Are you kidding me? When has Doom ever had platforming, altfires, midlevel meta challenges, or verticality to its combat? It's essentially a condensation of the entire franchise into one iteration. And to its genre? It's a modern shooter than actually plays like a classic shooter farther than the typical superficial level, with an emphasis on exploration and secrets. It also managed to make first-person platforming not an exercise in futility for once.

Doom doesn't need anything more clever. That's what makes it so clever! Look what happened when they tried to be clever with Doom 3. I mean, it's fine, but it wasn't groundbreaking. This game is making waves and ignoring almost all modern shooter sensibilities, in some cases making fun of them. That's why this is striking such a chord. You're missing the forest for the trees. I was expecting something more myself, but I can honestly say that I am 100% happy with those expectations not being met. It's just fun to play. Fun like there hasn't been in a shooter in a long time (except maybe Wolf: TNO). And in the end that's all that matters. We don't always need to be pushing the boundaries. We need to push social constructs and traditions. This game is a bit more traditional, but it is so by breaking all the traditions of the past ten years.

The only game that actually makes fun of other games is Duke Nukem 3d and the rest of series after 3D.

Good thing people came to their senses on May 13.

Voros said:

The only game that actually makes fun of other games is Duke Nukem 3d and the rest of series after 3D.

Good thing people came to their senses on May 13.

Well, Bulletstorm kind of made fun of games. And certainly Serious Sam. Few games made fun of game mechanics, though. Duke was one, DOOM is the first in a long while.

That Rise of the Triad remake did a funny thing to subtly make fun of reloading mechanics, it has a reloading button that you don't need but all he does is take the same clip and shove it back in.

Jaxxoon R said:

platforming

Every Doom game so far has had some elements of platforming, including Doom 64 and Doom 3.

altfires

Mods that add altfires to the games have been legion.

midlevel meta challenges

Okay, that one is new, but it is the kind of pseudo-RPG crap that has been plaguing shooters for a while, including "retromodern" ones like Shadow Warrior 2013 and The New Order. I do not think it is a worthy addition to Doom at all; in fact, I find it more immersion-breaking than anything.

It's essentially a condensation of the entire franchise into one iteration.

And that is what bothers me so much: it is just so unapologetically unoriginal, it is kind of depressing in a way. I mean, I understand RAGE was a flop, but come on... can they not come up with something a little more original than yet another remake of a 23-year old classic?

And to its genre? It's a modern shooter than actually plays like a classic shooter farther than the typical superficial level, with an emphasis on exploration and secrets.

Plenty of first-person shooters have been there already: Serious Sam, Painkiller, Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior 2013, Rise of the Triad 2013...

MusicallyInspired said:

Doom doesn't need anything more clever. That's what makes it so clever!

Not being clever does not make one clever, especially when it involves a generic-looking mute space marine shooting demons and punching computer screens.

Look what happened when they tried to be clever with Doom 3. I mean, it's fine, but it wasn't groundbreaking.

I would say it was to an extent: the technology was quite innovative for the time and the horror-inspired gameplay was novel for the franchise.

I honestly would have loved to see a Doom 4 set in the same universe, this time on Earth.

Fun like there hasn't been in a shooter in a long time (except maybe Wolf: TNO). And in the end that's all that matters.

I disagree, especially when the game in question is being sold at $60 US without even proper modding support.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Not really. Doom 2016 seems to be generally what I expected: a decent but overpriced first-person shooter that plays it extremely safe, does not take any risk nor try to bring anything new to the franchise, let alone the genre, and offers little in terms of modding and technology.

My only (unpleasant) surprises come from the soundtrack - which I really did not expect to absolutely despise - and the story, which actually managed to disappoint me. Maybe I have been spoiled by Shadow Warrior 2013 and its ability to tell a fun, engaging story within a fast-paced, action-packed shooter, but I was expecting something a bit more clever than just "DOOMGUY ANGRY! DOOMGUY SMASH!".

If you really just see the story of the new game "Doomguy angry" then you clearly need to listen to the dialouges and read the documents. It's not being told cinematically rather it's up to the player to figure it out. You'll also find out why Doomguy is angry about Samuel. It's telling you a gritty and tragic story subtly, you just didn't listen. Shadow warrior 2013 at best was an asian duke nukem toned down. The combat was fast but the pace was slow as you are hindered when strafing backwards, the sprint key, enemies with large healthpools plus a shield thats takes too long to break even with spmming heavenly divider, guns were underpowered against mid tier foes and thier ammo is scarce, the flashlight feels like it was bought for 25 cents at a rundown thrift shop, and the levels were linear. Sure there were secrets here and there but most of them were really obvious. Shadow warrior 2013's story is cinematic, while Doom's story is for you to find out as you play.