Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heejyhorang

Favorite Difficulty?

I must be a dingus, because the jump from HMP to UV, even with all my upgrades, was too much. I finally beat the game on UV, but boy i was stuck on levels for quite a while. HMP, in my opinion, is where I have the most fun. I know that a lot of you think HMP is a snoozefest. So what do you all think? Which difficulty do you have the most fun playing?

UV is my fav. since Im not fast enought yet to kill them all on NM and I get ripped cos they overrun the place.

Towards the end of the game do you die much? I literally die like 20 times per big arena encounter in the last 2 levels.

Not 20 times more like 0-5 times / arena. But Ive made it thru only once, since exams are ruling over my time. I play a map here and there.

I've only beaten it on HMP, I was going to just do UV first but I kept getting one-shotted by the former humans, so I just swallowed my pride and did HMP. Will probably do UV next though, seeing as late game ended up being really easy.

I played through first on HMP. It feels about right for my skill. Played through again on easy to mop up achievements.

I ran UV my first time and it was quite challenging. I just finished a NM run but I did the half level skip on level 13 so I'm finishing it up legit and then I'll probably run a NM again until I'm proficient as it's pretty unforgiving and will make me a better player. UV started kicking my ass towards the halfway mark; NM started instantly with stomping me.

Considering doing a UV run with no weapon upgrades or runes just to see how that goes. While I'm having a lot of fun with the campaign, I'm still waiting on a patch for the IDKFA trophy. Two 100% runs and that's the only thing keeping me from platinum.

Johnatone said:

I ran UV my first time and it was quite challenging. I just finished a NM run but I did the half level skip on level 13 so I'm finishing it up legit and then I'll probably run a NM again until I'm proficient as it's pretty unforgiving and will make me a better player. UV started kicking my ass towards the halfway mark; NM started instantly with stomping me.

Considering doing a UV run with no weapon upgrades or runes just to see how that goes. While I'm having a lot of fun with the campaign, I'm still waiting on a patch for the IDKFA trophy. Two 100% runs and that's the only thing keeping me from platinum.

I have no idea how you could manage a no upgrade UV run!!! The would drive me crazy. UV WITH my upgrades kicked my butt repeatedly. I just can't stay alive in those end game arenas. Ughhh.

UV. Doing a 2nd run on UV and it's just the right difficulty. Going to do it on Nightmare at some point though.

uv with controller and nm with mouse and keyboard. I should turn up my sensitivity on the xbox though, it would help. nm is becoming a breeze at the end with the weapon upgrades, my next run I'm going to do is nightmare with no upgrades othere then the forced ardent energy you've to pick up.

MrGlide said:

uv with controller and nm with mouse and keyboard. I should turn up my sensitivity on the xbox though, it would help. nm is becoming a breeze at the end with the weapon upgrades, my next run I'm going to do is nightmare with no upgrades othere then the forced ardent energy you've to pick up.

How do you stay alive on UV? What runes do you use? If its the unlimited ammo one i wont use it. for some reason im against it lol.

abuse your grenades

Charge pistol and get headshots, the glory kill them while they're stunned.

explosive mod for shot gun hands down, first upgrade being the instantly ready when you pull up, you gib imps and do a tone of splash damage, it stuns hell knights most of the time, when upgraded one of the hardest hitting guns in the game. when shooting the shot gun aim for their nipples/ coller bone to land all pellets(except for large enemies, then headshots ie hellknights)

use chainsaw to refil ammo or to insta kill threats, it's like an early game melee bfg for anything you need dead immeadiatly.

learn your power up spawns and use them wisely.

use your cooldown times effectivly, (use explosive shotty then immeaditly switch to something else, perferably supershotty or rocket launcher)

both mods for HR are good, if your using a controler I advise explosives though.

plasma rifle gets stun blast, use in panic to freeze all enemies in a short range or stop an enemy from fireing at you for a few seconds.

chain gun can go either way, just pick the opposite of either persision or dps as you did with hr.

gause rifle can go eather way, I perfer zoom though. rocket launcher is explode in mid air hands down, you get alot of rocket ammo and it works great to clear groups of trash or when fully upgraded it launches ANOTHER rocket, thats crazy. when you launch the rockets like this move left or right to get better sight for when the rocket is near the enemy. you can kill pinkies by blowing it up behind them then glory killing them.

get used to a high sensetivity. grenades are crazy good, use them all the time to save ammo and kill things quickly.

upgrade ammo first for ardent, more chainsaw ammo and such. perks can go anyway really, I perfere equipment the most though (are you seeing a pattern?) runes use equipment and aircontrol, and anything else that suites you. get all the secrets and preator tokens you can. keep distance from enemies, keep moving. anything I'm missing or your wondering about?(edit)oh ya and go ahead and use explosive barrels all you can early on just one shot with pistol will blow them up.

I think I like UV the most. It's punishing enough to make you pay attention while still leaving some margin for error. That said, Nightmare isn't that different from UV once you have 150+ health and some weapon upgrades.

Nightmare. The adrenaline rush, knowing that just an imp takes off 1/4 (or 1/2 early on) of my health in one normal fireball is insane. I ripped my hair out a couple of times. Finished it off on sunday though. Spider mastermind was surprisingly the easiest of all 3 bosses.

I will probably try UV next for a more 'relaxed' experience (since I am sure it is just as tough as NM in places) or else get more experience in NM to try ultra NM and just torture myself for the heck of it.

Heejyhorang said:

I must be a dingus, because the jump from HMP to UV, even with all my upgrades, was too much. I finally beat the game on UV, but boy i was stuck on levels for quite a while. HMP, in my opinion, is where I have the most fun. I know that a lot of you think HMP is a snoozefest. So what do you all think? Which difficulty do you have the most fun playing?

You aint no dingus, you need more experience and practice with strafing and shooting in all directions and angles while moving. You cannot stand still in this game if there are more than 3 enemies on screen.

I played on UV at first then switched to HMP from level 3 because UV was very challenging and kept me stressed the whole time..

lol.. that's what i thought, because later on hell levels i figured out that UAC levels are just a walk in the park !

MiNaM said:

I played on UV at first then switched to HMP from level 3 because UV was very challenging and kept me stressed the whole time..

lol.. that's what i thought, because later on hell levels i figured out that UAC levels are just a walk in the park !

Well, overall ironically the game becomes easier (bar a few pesky arenas or narrow rooms with spectres, for me) because of the upgrades. That is the way I felt it progressing at least, I tore my hair out at the first gore nest because I had 100 health, little armor, no argent no praetor no serious weapon mods and no runes. They really did a good job with this rpg style elements in this game, their progression is great and they are just enough for it to still remain an fps and focused on fast action. And they add a lot of replay value.

massivefanofdoom said:

Well, overall ironically the game becomes easier (bar a few pesky arenas or narrow rooms with spectres, for me) because of the upgrades. That is the way I felt it progressing at least, I tore my hair out at the first gore nest because I had 100 health, little armor, no argent no praetor no serious weapon mods and no runes. They really did a good job with this rpg style elements in this game, their progression is great and they are just enough for it to still remain an fps and focused on fast action. And they add a lot of replay value.

With upgrades yeah... but guess what ?

I was saving tons of weapon upgrade points till i got my hands on a BFG..

Spoiler

aaaand there's no BFG mods!

I am playing a new game on nightmare now. Ordinary i really like it when games are challenging. But until now, halfway through the facility, i think nightmare is borderline. I don´t know if i like how they made the differences between the difficultys. Maybe enemies are a bit more agressive, but the main factor between difficultys seems to be the dealing damage and the outcome of health and armor items.

Thats a bit lazy in my opinion. Why not increasing the number of enemies and making them stronger with each step in difficulty. Some new and heavier attacks. And of course more damage. But come on, 2 hits by a imp and its done? Even after recovering some health after a glory kill is not enough to survive a further hit.

I guess i stay at ultra violence.

Otus said:

I am playing a new game on nightmare now. Ordinary i really like it when games are challenging. But until now, halfway through the facility, i think nightmare is borderline. I don´t know if i like how they made the differences between the difficultys. Maybe enemies are a bit more agressive, but the main factor between difficultys seems to be the dealing damage and the outcome of health and armor items.

Thats a bit lazy in my opinion. Why not increasing the number of enemies and making them stronger with each step in difficulty. Some new and heavier attacks. And of course more damage. But come on, 2 hits by a imp and its done? Even after recovering some health after a glory kill is not enough to survive a further hit.

I guess i stay at ultra violence.

With more numbers of enemies it would be the same if not worse in terms of incoming damage. Simple math. Don't give up. I tore my hair out at the first gore nest in res ops, died ... idk, 70times? Practice and after that you instantly start getting upgrades and runes and argent cells and it becomes way easier. The first 2 levels in nm are difficult though, yes.

Maybe you are right. I wont give up now, but i really cant tell if it is fun because of the challenge or if i start to hate nightmare.

Otus said:

Maybe you are right. I wont give up now, but i really cant tell if it is fun because of the challenge or if i start to hate nightmare.

Well, keep trying for a while, of course if you feel the balancing is really dumb go to UV, who am I to tell you how to play? But with me, it was like ... I was frustrated, and yet in that frustration i had an element of 'there is nothing different in me than other people, I have 2 hands and 2 eyes too and I have to get past this darn nest!' I wouldn't allow myself to say 'I can't do this'. The problem wasn't the damage or number of enemies with me as such, it was learning to strafe and shoot at angles, and more importantly never stay still (even if you have them stunned and shoot them and they dont gib - move and then get them later) and strategise with grenades and using the environment. Practice makes perfect was never so true.

Don´t worry, i did not understand it as a order.

I am just not as good as a few years ago. But sometimes its better to stay away instead of getting grey hairs because of a video game. A few years ago i tried to beat vanquish challenge 6 and failed horrible. I had to admit that i was not good enough. Maybe its the same case with NM now. Lets see how it works after getting a few upgrades.

My first run-through of the game was on UV and it was very difficult, almost frustratingly so. My second pass through the game, also on UV, was much more enjoyable as I just got better at the game.

I recently beat it on Nightmare and although it was challenging, it was nowhere near as difficult for me as the first time I played the game on UV.

I would say from now on I will be playing the game on Nightmare.

Just finished second play-through on Nightmare (previous one was Ultra-Violence). Game was really brutal at the couple first levels though :).

Linheli said:

Just finished second play-through on Nightmare (previous one was Ultra-Violence). Game was really brutal at the couple first levels though :).

yupp, not ashamed to say I can't do UNM cuz of the first 2/3 levels where it is soooo hard with little to no upgrades. So super props to that guy who completed it on NM no upgrades.

And yday I died finding level 2 classic map, fell off the thin ledge and died due to environment yay. Just ragequit lol, no more unm for now