Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dinosaurs

SnapMap Wishlist?

Hey,

I was messing around with SnapMap, trying to re-create Entryway, but there's a lot of missing features and freedom compared to DOOMBuilder. So I was thinking, why not compile a DoomWorld wishlist and post it in the Bethesda forum? That place is a ghost-town so the devs would probably spot it.

Even if it never reaches DOOMBuilder's degree of freedom, I think it could be fun with a few additions.

For me:

- Add the Chainsaw and Berserk pickup
- Add Jump-Pads
- Add a Map
- Allow all walls to be interactable, including ceiling (become doors etc.)
- Allow diagonal connections
- Custom room editor?

Fix the online issues before everybody leaves for good if it's not too late already.

New Modules for current theme:

- computer maze; gameplay layers can alter this maze
- any 'hazard' module you can modify the hazard: pit, slime, disodium or lava.
- mini-modules, with vent systems and the like you can navigate, or smaller rooms / halls.

New Module themes altogether; Hell, Classic, Argent Tower Corporate
More Props:

- wall, floor and ceiling props and the like, that you can arrange on your own to divide rooms up. Computer maze props, please.
- Hell props, multiple themes that can be used in ANY theme.
- make the Spiderdemon smaller, shoot green plasma, simplified behavior boom a new monster....

The release of idStudio

anyway

hell themes and more
the ability to place of the demons including bosses
the ability to modify the weapons
removal of the two weapon limit

But most of this isn't going to happen.

Here's a list of "Must add" features :

- Remove obligatory loadouts
- Add ability to pause game (start map in offline mode)
- More themes (Hell, Space ... etc)
- Regular ammo pickups (No Megaman-like ammo type sharing)
- Automap .
- Ability to setup demon rune, so we can select which demon are players going to become instead of Baron of hell the whole time .
- Add Pistol and Chainsaw to SnapMap .

So, so, so many things to wish for. For starters, let us place structures at any angle other than right angle. Instead of only "90-degree bends", add 60- or 30-degree bends, or let us create turns at any angle. Having every turn at 90 degrees makes the maps monotonous and unenjoyable.

Increase the item limit from 100% to 200%, or least 150%. 100% is sometimes not enough to create a map of a certain size and variety.

There is not enough variety for hallways, which are probably the items used the most because they are needed to link all the set pieces, arenas, dead ends, etc., together. We need more varied heights, widths, and shapes for the hallways.

More audio. Even with the seemingly endless selections available, I shockingly find myself wanting more because the ones I need are often not there. Many of the sound clips sound alike, and those that should be there aren't there, such as the sound of a door opening. I sometimes need that to tell the player a secret door has opened.

More props and FX. Again, the selections seem plentiful, but they aren't really. Where are CORPSES, blood, dismembered body parts and such? We also need flickering lights. Some of the props just don't look right. The hand lights don't light up. The electronic panels don't light up. Etc.

I'm for everything in this thread, but I have some things to add. A few of these are annoying and don't make sense

Fixlist

- Fix weird camera logic-pausing behavior
- Make signal 'on-remove' outputs for the rest of inventory Items not just droppables
- Add output signal for all node activations (covers #2)
- Fix the damn filtering system to make it more robust, allowing for weapon or equipment filters (making weapon upgrade terminals possible)
- Fix how the whole system can snap together one annoying unit off, regardless of the Jog or coupler used.

Wishlist

- Add camera caption, pathing, and effects.
- Add more textures for Player-block Volumes (Better for free-form platforms and walls)
- Add an Insta-gib option
- Add Rocket jump optional gun effect
- Add strobe lights (Variable blinking lights)
- Additional Miniboss customization options (C'mon, seriously)
- Add vertical module connections

Literally just add the option to make an SP map with all SP parameters, meant to be played "offline" so there's no bullshit network usage eating up what could be gameplay resources.

Remove the loadouts (or make them easy to toggle on and off), four player limit and make it possible to disable taunting and reassign those functions - possibly back to SP, but I digress.

Add all the weapons and items not currently in SnapMap - seriously didn't include the berserk.

In addition to this, release a new idTech studio and include a map checker that tests maps for console compatibility. Give the PC people their own thing that might trickle down to us console guys - and really, I don't care if they do add the second part, I just want you guys to have proper mod tools, and it would be nice to know it was going to be there waiting for me too when I come back.

-Add a weapon wheel
-New modules (Hell theme, maybe even doom 3 and wolfenstein)
-More demons, and wolfenstein nazis and zombies
-Bosses, archvile, unwilling
-Pistol, chainsaw, berserk and any other power up from singleplayer that is absent in snapmap
-Campaign movement
-Blockers (Like the player blocker but with the ability to block everything, including demons) so we can create our own structures.
-Bigger open space modules
-Automap
-Ability to connect maps to make a true sp campaign

I agree with a lot of others’ wishlists, and something else bothers me:

- The lights; Every module has both baked lights and dynamic ones that can be covered up with boxes; I'd like if they added an additional layer to the module settings that would make the lights in the room disappear along with any shadow-casting lights (the ones that fade out at far distances for whatever reason) so we can add our own lights and therefore make the “power online” voices have a purpose.

@DoomPhreak: Agreed; I think the 3D speaker and 2D ones should be able to play the same sounds instead of only ambient sounds for the 3D one…and VEGA needs a sample where he says “time”; The only thing I think he says is “Time has been added.”.

- Add the ability to look through cameras in the editor (instead of having to test them by playing)

- Allow us to edit the properties of multiple selected objects of the same type

As it stands, you have to edit objects one by one which can be pretty tedious, especially if they're the same type (and even if they have the same exact properties as one another).

Bookmark code, so you can access it in other maps and when you create a new one. Also pull other creators code out of their maps.

Grouping objects and props. Tried of copying props but having to individually grab every little prop, screwdriver, coffee mug and grouping it over and over again just to copy and paste it all over my map. So if you could put a tool box down and lay a drill and screw driver on top of it and then group it permanently until you ungroup it.

Layers, to much going on by the end of my map. It would be cool if we could layer our code and turn it off and on to clear some of the clutter that can arise. So lets say you make a wave sting line and its making your room to chaotic to work in it would be cool to attach that string to a layer name and have the ability to turn it off so you could work in what seems to be an empty room.

Other than that, a hellscape and gore would be nice.

HALFRATS PS4 said:

Layers, to much going on by the end of my map. It would be cool if we could layer our code and turn it off and on to clear some of the clutter that can arise. So lets say you make a wave sting line and its making your room to chaotic to work in it would be cool to attach that string to a layer name and have the ability to turn it off so you could work in what seems to be an empty room.

Man, that'd be super useful!

HALFRATS PS4 said:

Also pull other creators code out of their maps.

Surprised I'm the first one to comment on this, but that part of the suggestion is the root of all modding/mapmaking evil. As an author, I would not be to happy that someone can pull code that might have taken me a sleepless night to make, then copy pasta it all willy nilly into a map, change a couple things, then re-release it. The first part of that suggestion is brilliant, the second part only helps copycats and thieves, and the way you put it "pull other creators code" does even more to make this look like a tool for opportunistic thieving.

Would approve of the idea if Authors had the ability to decide whether or not they want a piece of code to be openly shared, but otherwise I only see this creating problems for the dedicated snapmappers.

Most of the good requests have already been said but I do have a coupe personal ones.

1. Allow triggers to modify Room's Atmosphere

2. Include fundamental conversational words to Vega, such as:
The, they, and, are, will, won't, must, how, can, me, you, don't, is, isn't etc

Currently you can sneak in a few words via digits and the Alphabet such as: to (2), for (4), A (A), be (B), see (C), ok (O + K), R (are), why (Y). But using these together in a sentence will sound very robotic.

make it possible to disable taunting and reassign those functions - possibly back to SP, but I digress.

You can reassign the taunt buttons to do other things. Amazing how many people can complain about software they've barely used and know less about what can do.

TECH_PH33R said:

Surprised I'm the first one to comment on this, but that part of the suggestion is the root of all modding/mapmaking evil. As an author, I would not be to happy that someone can pull code that might have taken me a sleepless night to make, then copy pasta it all willy nilly into a map, change a couple things, then re-release it. The first part of that suggestion is brilliant, the second part only helps copycats and thieves, and the way you put it "pull other creators code" does even more to make this look like a tool for opportunistic thieving.

Would approve of the idea if Authors had the ability to decide whether or not they want a piece of code to be openly shared, but otherwise I only see this creating problems for the dedicated snapmappers.

I'm not sure if Doom is the right subject to be DONUT STEELing over code in, considering its legacy.

Really because I hate loading 50 maps to find one good one. I don't care if people use my code because I know how to make a fucking checkpoint for Christ sakes. Every map I play that has no check points is an auto down vote. That and this one life bull crap. Lol im not reloading your map NEXT

Nothing kills the flow like dying and having to track all the way back through empty halls or a damn loading screen. LEARN TO MAKE CHECKPOINTS for the love of all things holy. Also id hardly call this coding. The rules and pieces are already in place. It's an elaborate erector set.

Snapmaps shines from imagination not the predestined easiest way to code everything that everyone will eventually learn seeing how everyone has the same set of preset coding rules.

Also if they can tag you in your map don't see why they couldn't tag you on pulled code. I'm literally putting al my code into a template and once I'm satisfied with it I planned on releasing it so people could just use it.

HALFRATS PS4 said:

Every map I play that has no check points is an auto down vote. That and this one life bull crap. Lol im not reloading your map NEXT

Terrible attitude. Granted voting up and down is totally subjective but you could have an amazing map, one where the author spent a lot of time balancing and making it very possible to win with one life but you would go ahead and downvote it unfairly.

If we are talking very challenging maps with BS traps and ambushes then checkpoints would be a must less it be a bad design. Alternatively the author could at least warn the player of the painful challenges and limited life they have to deal with (for example, the description) prior to their download.

I'm creating my second map with lots of time and love put into it. I'm basing the balancing on 1 life which takes effort and lots of testing. Unless justified, checkpoints are lazy for both the player and the mapper.

Checkpoints are a lot more difficult to create than 1 life, so I wouldn't call it lazy. Also, the campaign uses checkpoints so people coming to Snapmap already expect that.

If you wanted 1 life but also keep the player in the map, put all triggers on a boolean that resets them if the player dies. When the player dies, have them restart at the beginning but have them restart in your level.

As soon as the map boots the player, they'll leave and try another. That's just the player base for Snapmap.

Disgusting attitude!! I was planning on posting a topic for discussion on the down votes from some users.

Personally i only down vote maps if they are broken or just really badly designed.

If it's just a case of it not being to my taste but it's well built and glitch free i will just not vote.

Alot of hard work goes into tgese maps and to throw down votes out there is just low.

You guys do realize that once you downloaded a map you can open it up in the editor and look at all the code you want.

Is it really? Goto to YouTube and watch the multitude of checkpoint code videos and learn it. It's a fundamental mechanic. Stop publishing incomplete fundamentals. Sitting here sifting through thousands of maps 9 out of 10 don't have checkpoints. I understand that not every game mode or map style requires checkpoints but most do. It's the least you can do to respect the people playing your levels.

And if somebody wants to build a map inspired by classic doom?
Only 1 life? And it is clearly marked as so in the description? Perhaps it's done from a design view rather than laziness.

xTWx PREDATOR X said:

And if somebody wants to build a map inspired by classic doom?
Only 1 life? And it is clearly marked as so in the description? Perhaps it's done from a design view rather than laziness.

Then learn how to code it so it starts you from the beginning and not kick you out to the lobby when you die. Like the original Doom does. Don't ever remember seeing the title screen everytime I died in doom 1.

Fair point. But nice to be rerawded with snap points for failed attempt surely? Yes having to load is a bummer. But it's a trade off.

And to be fair we are all learning to code as we go. I think a more friendly approach (hav3 you considered or what if you try this) will go further and support the creative minds. Rather than insulting a maker for an idea they perhaps hadn't thought of or learned yet.