Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Heitor

Trip 2 H3ll: 66 Seconds of suffering, my first WAD.

For those who are curious, here's an album of screenshots of the wad.

I'm sorry, but just what the hell is this? This is literally a bunch of bland square rooms and corridors with careless monster placement. I highly suggest you just start all over and take some time to learn the basic mapping necessities before you release another wad.

That screenshot of the automap reminds me so much of this illustration of crappy modern FPS design, it's uncanny.

Nothing personal against the OP of this thread, but does it seem to anyone else like there's been an explosion lately of people presenting their horrible first maps as public releases, without a trace of irony? I seem to remember at least a few others in the past few weeks. It's great if there's a surge of new mappers, but there needs to be at least a modicum of understanding about what constitutes an acceptable-quality map.

Is this some kind of new trend? People cropping up and posting poorly made maps in an attempt to win us over? Please learn what goes into making a map at least enjoyable and somewhat competent first.
Seems to be happening a lot recently...

My guess is the large influx of newbie mappers is probably because of the new Doom sparking interest in the classics. Also, instead of just telling someone to fuck off and make something better, maybelinking them to a guide on how to do it would be more productive? Judging by the screenshots, this reminds me of my first mapping attempts, just completely linear maps with a few random enemies thrown about because hey. that's what maps have.

Study other peoples maps, look through the Cacowards and this thread to see wha tthe community generally agrees as really great mods, and keep making maps. Who knows, you could really make some kickass shit a few years down the line.

Death Egg said:

Study other peoples maps, look through the Cacowards and this thread to see wha tthe community generally agrees as really great mods, and keep making maps. Who knows, you could really make some kickass shit a few years down the line.

This is precisely why I don't have much sympathy for people who post shitty maps and get laughed at, because there's so much good stuff already out there to learn from. Even trying to emulate the worst of the iwad maps would get you someplace better than this. It might not make you a talented mapper overnight-- I've been grinding at it off and on for years and I'm still not as good as I'd like to be-- but it also serves the important secondary function of giving you a sense of what sorts of maps are worth publicly releasing.

Its not very good at all. Its better then the last one,but thats really it. The textures are still out of place, the monsters are still badly placed. The Cyber demon fight is really awkward as you can't really move anywhere. Though after that fight you have the enemies from Wolfenstien? They are really out of place for this (sort of) hellish theme you are going for. I like how you got rid of some of the useless commander keen's but there is still a lot of room for improvement. Like the pointless teleport rooms. If you really can't put an exit down just put an icon of sin down there as a last resort. I wouldn't suggest trying to resurrect this map, start from scratch and take your time with making the map. And as the others said, look at the cacoawards and get some inspiration.