Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MistAche

The OFFICIAL 'My First Map/Wad' Thread

As we've seen a trend of My First Map threads lately, most of which have turned into tumbleweed... decided it'd be a good idea to have them placed here instead.

Dump your First WAD/MAP here for all to see, and receive feedback (good or bad) from the community.

The rules are:

a) Upload 3-5 screen shots of your MAP you think are the most appealing.
b) Advise us of the source port compatibility.
c) If it doesn't have an end switch/linedef etc, advise us of that - preferably include an end, even if your map is still in Beta and it's only temporary.
d) Ensure atleast you, yourself have tested and beaten your own WAD.
e) If you use external resources you haven't created yourself, please atleast credit where they came from.

Enjoy!

It actually just hit me, that unless this is a sticky thread it'll likely die off in the wasteland anyway (or new mappers will ignore it altogether). Meh.

I was thinkning new mappers wouldn't look for this haha, but nice try there are a million newbies that'll die in a week it happens way too often

While I agree that putting suggestions (like upload a couple of screenshot or say what's the required sourceport) somewhere will be good I think that this thread rather than being useful will turn into a mess.

I was newbie, but while I published my first WAD I posted screenshots and wrote text. But something I havent get much praise, then my map looks better than newbies... I dont understand world.

yaqxsw said:

I was newbie, but while I published my first WAD I posted screenshots and wrote text. But something I havent get much praise, then my map looks better than newbies... I dont understand world.

Every one starts out as a Newbie, my first map on here people hated it

For a newbie to do all those rules, its too strict.

1)Download link
2)Iwad

That's it. He/she is only a newbie. We can figure out the rest.
Its not the /idgames database!

I don't like the idea that first maps aren't good enough to deserve their own thread. This is discrimination.

Voros said:

For a newbie to do all those rules, its too strict.

1)Download link
2)Iwad

That's it. He/she is only a newbie. We can figure out the rest.
Its not the /idgames database!

Really? You think screenshots and credit for resources is too much work?

I don't like the idea that first maps aren't good enough to deserve their own thread. This is discrimination.

It's more that there's been a (relatively) massive swell of shitty newbie maps. This thread wasn't just made out of nowhere because MistAche thinks first maps suck, it's a response to a problem that was actually happening.

jerrysheppy said:

it's a response to a problem that was actually happening.

Yes because people who want to try to make Doom maps are definetely a problem lol

Yeah I don't really see how it's a problem. I enjoy checking them out. Sometimes they're even pretty good! Feel free to ignore them if you feel otherwise. ;)

yaqxsw said:

I had the same treatment, spent a good chunk of a year working on it with little response. Had a stream play through from Suitepee which was valuable though; had a good laugh at the ridicule (feedback) I received.

As I said, I think people assume 'My First Wad's' are going to be crap... I personally like playing them, early developments of peoples creativity. Plus the unpredictability of them not having a clue makes them quite entertaining.

gaspe said:

Yes because people who want to try to make Doom maps are definetely a problem lol

I'm not sure if this is a troll, or you're being contrarian, or you just spectacularly missed the point, but as far as I know, this thread is to help people who want to try to make Doom maps.

The "problem" to which I referred is people who throw out their maps in a way that indicates they've put hardly any thought or care into composing, testing, or presenting them. If it's just because they truly are ignorant, then hopefully a thread like this will help. If they just can't be arsed to put effort one into it, then hopefully a thread like this will scare them off.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/51305-zdoome1m8-revisited-by-the-trigger/

Here you go, the very first map I released to the public. It's, well, quite bad but, it was released like 6 years ago so...

EDIT - Since I'm quite an idiot and saw that none of the links in this thread worked, here is the actual idgames link:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom/Ports/d-f/e1m8rmke

Screens (oh man, this brings back memories hehe):

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

EDIT 2 - If you don't want to play the map (I would understand), here is a video of it:

jerrysheppy said:

I'm not sure if this is a troll, or you're being contrarian, or you just spectacularly missed the point, but as far as I know, this thread is to help people who want to try to make Doom maps.

The "problem" to which I referred is people who throw out their maps in a way that indicates they've put hardly any thought or care into composing, testing, or presenting them. If it's just because they truly are ignorant, then hopefully a thread like this will help. If they just can't be arsed to put effort one into it, then hopefully a thread like this will scare them off.

If people wants to put their "this is the first time I opened the editor and I just scribbled some random rooms!!!" they are free to do it for sure, and on the other hand you are free to tell them that their "work" is shit or, you know, you can just ignore it. What these guys need is some common sense to get a good grasp of the basic stuff before uploading their attempts, and no thread can teach that to them.
Anyway is more helpful having each one his own thread were they can discuss about things related only to their works.

Well, here we go. This is my first. I was hoping to create a classic-esque map that was inspired by the original levels. I call it, Portal of Shadows. It's a challenging level and includes secrets. All of the music are real songs in midi version that I downloaded from free midi websites.

Description:
The UAC has tried to make contact with the Shadow Realm via a teleporter. They needed to summon the evil from this realm to power it up, but it got out of hand. Now the portal remains open and their souls condemned within the facility walls. Defeat the demonic circle to shut down the teleporter and stop these bastards once and for all!

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Download Link: http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=59880276786230148587

Hope you enjoy!

<-- doesn't believe ^

This thread is going to become a total mess like gaspe said; I just hope it gives me some entertainment before its eventual demise into chaos.

I was thinking I'd make my own thread for this, but might as well contribute to the growing chaos here.

So here's another first map, made by an idiot who seems to always find a texture misalignment that turns out to be deliberate.

https://www.mediafire.com/?gk43lltd8l459lh

This has been tested in GZDoom 2.1.1, so that is the recommended sourceport, with the required IWAD being Doom 2. Ideally this should also be played on UV, though there is limited support for other difficulty levels. Only level 1 is complete, though levels 2,6 and 7 are also present in this file in a pre-alpha state. All levels are designed for pistol start.

Images below

Spoiler

The_Trigger said:

Here you go, the very first map I released to the public. It's, well, quite bad but, it was released like 6 years ago so...

I will try to play this tonight. Something about the screens and video suggests that it's something other than "quite bad." Maybe a bit slow and linear, but we'll see. There's also a place for slow levels.