Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
EduXYZ

We have DOOM World, why not Quake World?

25 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Cool
    • Meh
    • No

Quaddicted is doing this job*. Along with the cool Quake Injector software (not linking as the website's certificate isn't updated as of now and I don't want to create a wave of panic). Besides, naming such a site "Quake World" would be confusing as "Quakeworld" means multiplayer to all Quake 1 players.

*: well... not exactly. When it comes to map makers, this is where you'll see the most activity: http://www.celephais.net/board/forum.php. Multiplayer I am not sure (kristus' first link most surely).

Don't know about anyone else but I always thought quake (1) was boring. Like Romero said in an interview that quake was more about showing off the 3d engine then level design. Just my thoughts though.

Mauzki said:

Don't know about anyone else but I always thought quake (1) was boring. Like Romero said in an interview that quake was more about showing off the 3d engine then level design. Just my thoughts though.

'Quake 1 was boring'... that's a new one. Did you ever play TDM, RA, Duels, Endif, Trick maps etc? most action packed, and intense game I think I ever played in that regard. I remember the days of FFA servers being full to the brim, gibbing crowds of players Quad-Rocket style with a huge grimace all over my face.

MistAche said:

'Quake 1 was boring'... that's a new one. Did you ever play TDM, RA, Duels, Endif, Trick maps etc? most action packed, and intense game I think I ever played in that regard. I remember the days of FFA servers being full to the brim, gibbing crowds of players Quad-Rocket style with a huge grimace all over my face.

I'm more talking about the single player. I am not much of a multiplayer person, the few exceptions of that would be Counter-Strike. I can see why people would enjoy Quakes multiplayer, but I really don't see much fun in its single player.

Mauzki said:

I'm more talking about the single player. I am not much of a multiplayer person, the few exceptions of that would be Counter-Strike. I can see why people would enjoy Quakes multiplayer, but I really don't see much fun in its single player.

I don't know man... as a kid it gave me some serious nightmares, having a unique atmosphere; coupled with the fact that I had just discovered Lovecraft's short stories. I was hooked.

ETTiNGRiNDER said:

There's also http://quakeone.com .

This.
This this this.

QuakeOne is the main hub for Quake 1 related stuff, just like how Doomworld is a hub of Doom stuff. I'm even a member there.

Mauzki said:

REALLY? Like I'm not offended I'm just shocked to hear someone thought it was boring, I had to stop playing as a kid because it was scary as fuck. It's filled with atmosphere and ughh its so much fun :) brb *plays through Quake*

I will admit that Quake 2 sucked up so much more of my childhood

MistAche said:

I don't know man... as a kid it gave me some serious nightmares, having a unique atmosphere; coupled with the fact that I had just discovered Lovecraft's short stories. I was hooked.

I don't think I can find games creepy if they allow me to shoot the enemies. For me there is only 2 exceptions, Resident evil and silent hill. Over then that, I can't really get into the horror aspects of a game if they allow me to shoot back. When I first played Doom 1 thought it was a bit creepy and I got a tad uneasy but that wore off after a while. Its why I don't like doom 3 as much, yeah its creepy in some aspects but its not that scary for me because I am able to shoot back. The music for quake was cool, it is annoying however that you need the quake CD for it to play.

Mauzki said:

Have you even played it?

I played through the whole the thing!
The only thing that disappointed me the most was that E1 had a boss, and the rest were just "pickup Rune, fight the monsters guarding it, exit".

And the fact that pak0.pak was shareware led me to think that the rest of the episodes would've similar boss battles. I was so wrong.

And yet, I love it.

Voros said:

Have you even played it?

I played through the whole the thing!
The only thing that disappointed me the most was that E1 had a boss, and the rest were just "pickup Rune, fight the monsters guarding it, exit".

And the fact that pak0.pak was shareware led me to think that the rest of the episodes would've similar boss battles. I was so wrong.

And yet, I love it.

Yes I have. I'm not saying its a bad game, but I just find it boring in comparison to IDs other games. Just because I see it in a different light doesn't mean I haven't played it. The game always feels empty, well for me it does.

Voros said:

Have you, by any chance, played the mission packs? There is one new boss in E3 of Scourge of Armagon, while Dissolution of Eternity has SEVEN boss fights.

Only SoA.

I didn't have the time to try out DoE

Plus, I like to think of those as expansions, with Quake 1's story being the main course. Same for Doom 3 and RoE.

SoA was cool, that's for sure, especially with the fight against Armagon.

Quake 1 Is probably one of the greats. Especially If you patch the game to add In Trent Reznor's soundtrack. And If you want a little more atmosphere In the game you could use the DarkPlaces engine too and update the graphics by just the lighting.

Overall? It kind of makes me wish that there was an actual continuation to Quake 1.

Tritnew said:

Overall? It kind of makes me wish that there was an actual continuation to Quake 1.

Luckily there's a shit-ton of user made maps as it must be the second most active FPS after Doom 2 when it comes to this. Using Quake Injector, you can focus on 4/5 stars maps and have one hell of a ride.

I recommend negke's maps (who comes here at DW), as I remember them as gorgeous and fun. czg, Vondur, Kinn, Kona and Necros are other awesome map makers you might want to try. And there's some Matthias Worch, Ikka Kiranen and Dario Casali stuff here too if you liked their Doom output.