Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomPhreak

The incredible spaciousness of all the locations

Sometimes you want to add a little claustrophobic feel for more variety but you just can't do it here. Even the narrowest hallways are as wide as a tennis court. Ceilings are always several stories high. You can clutter up the place with props, but that uses up the map's item limitation. Even the tiniest structure in SnapMap, a small coupler, can fit THREE MANCUBI in it, LOL. I know this game's style is "open space", but with the classic Doom you can have both open AND limited space as well. Classic Doom is just not going away soon.

True, the hallway/bend/junction pieces are too large to be considered that. The thing I was hoping was that you could use smaller pieces to make larger rooms, so that it could be more randomized, but I feel as if they were trying to market the "open area" aspect to not look like COD.

I made a couple of maps that I added a lot of props to in order to get them feeling more like actual Doom levels and a little more tight instead of wide open.

I can't find that many places to share Snapmap codes but this place seems somewhat active.

Here they are:

8JDB2WL2 "Overtaken Supply Depot" My first map.
29ZW58TD "Overtaken Maintenance Facility" My second map.

I too found too many of the snapmap pieces to be way too large. I feel like you would have to cover everything with crates in order to make it enjoyable. My favorite arenas were the small ones in Lazarus labs with all the shipping crates and bridges. The space works well for deathmatch I'm sure, but when dealing with monsters, you need those closed quarters to bring the intensity up.

I would think solid player blocking volumes would be more efficient in reducing space. Check out the Hell level thread, the creator used all volume blockers in conjunction with smoke to completely redo the module. You can also see this effect in that airwalk map.

VentedPennies said:

I would think solid player blocking volumes would be more efficient in reducing space. Check out the Hell level thread, the creator used all volume blockers in conjunction with smoke to completely redo the module. You can also see this effect in that airwalk map.

But the volumes block only players, not demons, do they? If so, the demons can run right through all the blocks, breaking immersion and any sort of challenges.

use couplers.

Check mine out. I have e1m1 - e1m4 completed of an 8 map episode im working on called Cyber Hell. just search for cyberhell.

Couple of tight mazes in these. You can also add barricades on the sides of hallways to narrow them down.