Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tuaam

Modding for Doom 2016?

Any thing that I can do OUTSIDE of snapmap?

Otherwise, what can I do inside of snapmap that's cool?

Tuaam said:

Any thing that I can do OUTSIDE of snapmap?

Otherwise, what can I do inside of snapmap that's cool?

Not yet. Hopefully we will get something someday. Snapmap in its current form is very lacking.

Snapmap does allow for lots of unique game modes in its current state but it takes lots of time and learning. There are various limitations and somewhat odd methods to triggers thanks to the cross platform design.

If you have a fundamental knowledge of scripting and plenty of time on your hands you can make a range of FPS gamemodes similar to the classic Starcraft and Warcraft 3 user map setting maps. But I hear it can be buggy as well, which would be a turn off. But if you want to create some fun Single Player maps, prepare for repetitive and blocky techbase design with a 2 weapon limit (unless you go for the painful process of scripting unlimited weapons), no automap, universal ammo and an odd change in melee keybindings.

Chezza said:

Snapmap does allow for lots of unique game modes in its current state but it takes lots of time and learning. There are various limitations and somewhat odd methods to triggers thanks to the cross platform design.

If you have a fundamental knowledge of scripting and plenty of time on your hands you can make a range of FPS gamemodes similar to the classic Starcraft and Warcraft 3 user map setting maps. But I hear it can be buggy as well, which would be a turn off. But if you want to create some fun Single Player maps, prepare for repetitive and blocky techbase design with a 2 weapon limit (unless you go for the painful process of scripting unlimited weapons), no automap, universal ammo and an odd change in melee keybindings.

This is why we need a Room editor / model importer for PC. At least make it so that you can make / edit rooms on PC, then use them on snapmap in maps and then upload them for evereybody else to use.

SnapMap's logic tools are outstanding and allow you to script almost anything. Its gameplay and architectural limitations, though, kill most of the potential.

The most serious limitations include:
- 4 players max
- 2 weapons max
- 12 monsters max (in existence at a time; you can place more than 12)
- No proper checkpoint system
- No outdoor areas
- No Hell theme

There are also some really strange omissions like the pistol, chainsaw, Berserk powerup, and Summoner enemy.

I'm still having fun screwing around with it, but overall it's a major disappointment that could've (and really should've) been oh-so-much better.

Theres quite a bit you can do with snapmap, but making anything actually good is a bit challanging, as for modding snapmap I'd wait till the ban wave hits mp and id has an official statement on that situation.(edit)@Chubs, theres more then that missing that have raised my eyebrow, alot of the logic needs to be expanded upon and invisability comes to mind, it exists in mp, actually looks good as well unlike the other power ups imo, it looks like the prefabs we've got will be expanded upon as well.

SnapMap is fun but it's going to die fast if updates don't hit it soon. You can do a lot with logic chains and the like but it gets really old seeing the same corridors over and over again. Hopefully we will actually get outdoorsy and hellish areas, at least places without a roof.

And for fucks sake that 12 demon spawned limit is annoying, especially when the ones it spawns aren't in the correct order. TotalBiscuit said that it was made that way so consoles memory could handle it but I am confident that a console can handle more than 12 AI at a time. They outsourced Snapmap partially so hopefully Bethesda or Id will get that shit cleaned up real quick.

By modding, you mean mixing new assets with default ones or replacing default assets, correct?

And since people have suceeded in creating .resources files, and MAYBE running it with Doom(rumours), then: unless someone out there can make launcher that allows extra files to be loaded alongside the game (such as ZDL for Doom games), I don't think we'll have TRUE modding.

@ voros, the hacking were seeing is esentually modding as they're getting in game perks they're not suposed to, assets I don't think are possable to put in the game yet though.

It sounds as Garry's mod and will plays as Garry's mod with presets and with limitation... What a sad ending...

I refuse to play or build maps till they add the weapon wheel and get rid of the fucking load out that people have been rightfully bitching about for almost a year.

That is think is currently biggest problem next too the 12 monster limit and the bugs that are created from it.

You'd think they'd have it so that any monsters that should've spawned, but don't due to the limit, teleport in after one is killed. Instead of just never showing up until you leave the room and return.

Azuruish said:

It sounds as Garry's mod and will plays as Garry's mod with presets and with limitation.

... sorry, what?

where and at which point did they advertise snapmap as anything close to that? you must have gotten the wrong impressions.

Azuruish said:

What a sad ending...

i cri evritim

Almonds said:

where and at which point did they advertise snapmap as anything close to that? you must have gotten the wrong impressions.

Yep... I'm wrong... It worse Garry's mod.

Voros said:

By modding, you mean mixing new assets with default ones or replacing default assets, correct?

And since people have suceeded in creating .resources files, and MAYBE running it with Doom(rumours), then: unless someone out there can make launcher that allows extra files to be loaded alongside the game (such as ZDL for Doom games), I don't think we'll have TRUE modding.

What do you mean by creating .resource files? Like WADS?

Creating external .resources file to load alongside the main .resources file (Doom 2016).

Yes like creating PWADs to load with the IWADs.

OR

Editing the main .resources file and having a dedicated server for that modified Doom.

Of course, players will have to build that modified Doom resources file themselves.

So, every previous DOOM game has eventually had it's source released. Has there been any official word on the matter? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Atendega said:

So, every previous DOOM game has eventually had it's source released. Has there been any official word on the matter? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

There won't be a source in the foreseeable future, I guess. It is unknown whether id plans to license idTech 6 to others, and even if they do, it is unknown if they do it for free (like Unreal Engine 4) and even then, the core source code is not provided. So don't count on source code within the next - I'd say - six to ten years. And even then - with id no longer beeing the old id - I actually don't expect them to release any source code at all. Carmack did this because he is an absolute nerd (and software developer guru!) and knows how much you can learn by reading source code from others. They basically did it "for the good of the community", and because nobody was able to stop them.

Modding tools is a different matter. I think it depens on how fast the community tackles all the data files from the .ressources, builds editors for them, knowing full well that every new Doom update might break their work. And - IMHO - how successfull or unsuccessfull SnapMap becomes over time.

That's all just MHO, and I am not able to form an opinion at the moment of wether we will see mod tools or not (disregarding what they said). We'll just have to wait.

Currently, people are basically modifying the text-based definition files - in this case for example which FX is used when a grenade explodes - and repack them in a new game-ressource file (which actually taints your savegames, and you can't play multiplayer with them, of course). But it is a first step. The question is, if people manage to do enough or just leave. The person who did this mod actually tried to remove the vanishing corpses effect, but gave up, and then started to tweak some explosion effects.

tuo said:

There won't be a source in the foreseeable future, I guess. It is unknown whether id plans to license idTech 6 to others, and even if they do, it is unknown if they do it for free (like Unreal Engine 4) and even then, the core source code is not provided. So don't count on source code within the next - I'd say - six to ten years. And even then - with id no longer beeing the old id - I actually don't expect them to release any source code at all. Carmack did this because he is an absolute nerd (and software developer guru!) and knows how much you can learn by reading source code from others. They basically did it "for the good of the community", and because nobody was able to stop them.

Modding tools is a different matter. I think it depens on how fast the community tackles all the data files from the .ressources, builds editors for them, knowing full well that every new Doom update might break their work. And - IMHO - how successfull or unsuccessfull SnapMap becomes over time.

That's all just MHO, and I am not able to form an opinion at the moment of wether we will see mod tools or not (disregarding what they said). We'll just have to wait.

Currently, people are basically modifying the text-based definition files - in this case for example which FX is used when a grenade explodes - and repack them in a new game-ressource file (which actually taints your savegames, and you can't play multiplayer with them, of course). But it is a first step. The question is, if people manage to do enough or just leave. The person who did this mod actually tried to remove the vanishing corpses effect, but gave up, and then started to tweak some explosion effects.

I wonder if it's possible to have a mod where all of the Possessed demons wield a pistol, to make the game more harder. And maybe make it so that the pistol uses the same ammo as the chaingun / heavy assault rifle.

tuo said:

First off, thanks for sharing that, it was very cool to see and put a big smile on my face. I was wondering about the re-packing. one of the things I noticed the other day is (the same Cheater I talked about in another thread) was highlighted when I was useing counter-intel, that means He was tracking me, but when he would kill me, he would have other hack modules on. This was for the whole match. Also How are they getting around the verifiers to mess with ammo counts, speed and such? And if they can mess with these things in mp isn't it possable to do it in snap map?

I cant find anything to do with modifying the "text-based definition files" other than the gif you provided. I'm interested in fucking around with the files. Is there a forum somewhere where people are discussing this shit?

Atendega said:

Doom 1's source was released 4 years after the game's release, so expect that to take some time.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Doom 1's source was released 4 years after the game's release, so expect that to take some time.

Will this game even be as popular as the original Doom?