Best official Doom levels?

turkeyjerky1991 said:
Frisky said:

My favorites are...
E1M1, E1M2, E1M3, E1M4, E1M5, E1M6, E1M7, E1M8, E1M9,
E2M1, E2M2, E2M3, E2M4, E2M5, E2M6, E2M7, E2M8, E2M9,
E3M1, E3M2, E3M3, E3M4, E3M5, E3M6, E3M7, E3M8, E3M9,
E4M1, E4M2, E4M3, E4M4, E4M5, E4M6, E4M7, E4M8, E4M9,
MAP01, MAP02, MAP03, MAP04, MAP05, MAP06, MAP07, MAP08, MAP09, MAP10, MAP11, MAP12, MAP13, MAP14, MAP15, MAP16, MAP17, MAP18, MAP19, MAP20, MAP21, MAP22, MAP23, MAP24, MAP25, MAP26, MAP27, MAP28, MAP29, MAP30, MAP31, MAP32, and etcetera, etcetera.

What about Ultimate Final Doom, NRFTL, and Master Levels?

Those are probably covered by "etcetera, etcetera".

turkeyjerky1991 said:

What about Ultimate, NRFTL, and Master Levels?

Thy flesh consumed was a bit... disappointing. Master levels had some cool levels in it, but some of them really don't hold up. However it did beat those crap D!zone collections.

Mauzki said:

Thy flesh consumed was a bit... disappointing. Master levels had some cool levels in it, but some of them really don't hold up.

You can't say they didn't try, though.

Frisky said:

You can't say they didn't try, though.

You could say they did their best. Losers always whine about their best.

And what the fuck, no Doom 64? Gimme some Dark Citadel, stat!

To answer the original post, I'd have to say E2M6 and E3M7, which sets up the end of the game nicely before that huge anti-climax.

My new favorite is E4M5, that Map is A1 haha

Mauzki said:

Thy flesh consumed was a bit... disappointing.

Oh... I really like it and I never played it because E4M1 never peaked my interest but I'm really glad I played it. So much better than E3 IMO

Doom 1: All of Doom E1, Tower of Babel, Perfect Hatred, Sever the Wicked
Doom 2: Entryway, Underhalls,Gantlet,Circle of Death, Inner most Dens
Doom 64: Staging Area, Terraformer, Main Engineering, Final Outpost Dark Citadel, Dark Entries, Eye of the Storm, Cat and Mouse, In the Void (My Current favorite from all IWADS).
TNT: System Control, Power Control, Human BBQ, Central Processing.
NRFTL: The Earth Base, Canyon of the Dead
None from PL since I am not able to get past Map 2.

jazzmaster9 said:

Keep at it! Did you try turning down the difficulty?

jazzmaster9 said:

Bro, you what? Which part are you finding too difficult? With the SSG you get in Map 01 you should be set to tackle all the encounters. Unless you're doing something silly like pistol starting and playing with no saves, but why do that unless you're already good at the maps and looking for an extra challenge?

Level 08: Tricks and Traps
Level 10: Refueling Base
Level 12: The Factory
Level 13: Downtown
Level 16: Suburbs
Level 18: The Courtyard
Level 24: The Chasm
Level 26: The Abandoned Mines
Level 27: Monster Condo
Level 28: The Spirit World

E4M2. In a collection of shit maps (in MY OPINION), E4M2 Is a diamond in the rough. Catwalk fighting cacos all day.

Best official Doom levels, in my vote, has to be any of the maps by John Romero, American McGee, and especially Tom Hall.

Ultimate Doom
Episode 1 - All of it.
Episode 2 - E2M1, E2M2, E2M3, E2M4, E2M5, E2M7, E2M8
Episode 3 - E3M3, E3M7
Episode 4 - E4M1, E4M2, E4M4, E4M6, E4M7, E4M8

Doom 2 - Map02 - 07, 10, 11, 13 - 15, 17, 20, 22, 26, 29

Final Doom
TNT - Map04, 06, 09, 10, 12, 13, 15 - 19, 25, 26, 28 - 32
Plutonia - Most of it except for several maps, notably Map11.

Master Levels - I think most of them were good, though the ones that really stood out were the maps by Soundblock, Tom Mustaine, Jim Flynn, and Dr. Sleep.

rileymartin said:

Bro, you what? Which part are you finding too difficult? With the SSG you get in Map 01 you should be set to tackle all the encounters. Unless you're doing something silly like pistol starting and playing with no saves, but why do that unless you're already good at the maps and looking for an extra challenge?

I guess its a combination of the difficulty and the fact that PL does not interest me gameplay wise, often employing BS tactics for "difficulty" (how many revenants are does it take to call BS?). I'll keep trying though, but it's not high on my priority list. I'll play it in HNTR this time.

jazzmaster9 said:

often employing BS tactics for "difficulty" (how many revenants are does it take to call BS?)

Well, taking every popular "hard" PWAD into consideration, there's no BS limit for Revenants, the more the better.

rileymartin said:

there's no BS limit for Revenants, the more the better.

I beg to differ, but I'll play through it eventually.

One has to conquer his fear of revenants to become a strong doomguy.

jazzmaster9 said:

I beg to differ, but I'll play through it eventually.

Plutonia offers a brand new type of gameplay from the other official IWADs. You have to use strategy in order to tackle the insane difficulty of the wad. If you're playing it for the first time, don't go straight for UV as it extremely brutal (for IWAD standards) and doesn't let up. ITYTD or HNTR might be the better option, but even in those difficulties, Plutonia is still relentless. Nevertheless, it is a lot of fun, despite its annoyances and frustration factor, and it certainly started a trend that many PWADs followed, like Hell Revealed, Alien Vendetta, Scythe, Kama Sutra, Speed of Doom, and others.

Ultimate DOOM:
E1M1, E4M2, E4M6, E3M3
DOOM 2:
MAP05, MAP10, MAP15, MAP22

Plutonia's design is probably the most influential of all the IWADs. Even something as recent as Ancient Aliens uses what I would refer to as Plutonia Trapsâ„¢ in the early levels.

I guess im not a fan of Slaughter maps in general.
Deus Vult in particular was one of those mapsets where I went "Wow this maps look AMAZING! too bad i get killed after 15 seconds, oh well".

If you can't go farther than map2 of Plutonia, you are years too early to play DV after all. Plutonia ain't slaughter IMO though.

with a small percentage of maps that would qualify as slaughter. But yeah, Plutonia is mostly deadlier enemies that have become more commonplace (like revenants and chaingunners) and having foreknowledge in planning your strategy to deal with what you'll face.

Kira said:

If you can't go farther than map2 of Plutonia, you are years too early to play DV after all. Plutonia ain't slaughter IMO though.

I guess i was exagarating at bit. I made it up to map 11: Hunted in PL in HMP. I just had a really hard time in Well of Souls for some odd reason. But yeah DV was way to out of my level.

jazzmaster9 said:

I guess i was exagarating at bit. I made it up to map 11: Hunted in PL in HMP. I just had a really hard time in Well of Souls for some odd reason. But yeah DV was way to out of my level.

It's best to know your limits. I can manage Plutonia, HR, and AV, least in HMP, since UV proves to be formidable, but wads like DV, Sunder and Combat Shock are far overwhelming.