Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SharkLordSatan

Prop Problem (GZDB)

I know I already made a thread on this but that just kind of turned into a "how to convert my map into UDMF format" thing.

Anyways, I have a problem. I'm trying to import props downloaded from Realm667 (such as dead bodies of scientists or lab cylinders for example), but when I go to find them under the things tab they don't show up. I can import textures, weapons and monsters fine though.

Can someone help me with this problem? I'm using the GZDoom Doom 2 (UDMF) format.

You might want to rename or delete the original thread. I have had posts hell'd for posting the same thing twice and its also misleading.

If an actor doesn't have an editor number (aka "doomednum") defined in the header of its DECORATE definition (see format specs), it can't be placed into a map. After you download the prop wad, open it in SLADE3 and edit the DECORATE to give the prop an unique number. The number must be between 1 and 32767, it should NOT be any of the standard editor numbers, and no two actors in your wad/pk3 should have the same number. Also watch out if the actor definition contains a line "//$Category XXX" - it defines the thing category in the thing list in a mapping editor that the thing will appear in. Default category is "Decorate" and it's at the bottom of the list.

Hmm, okay.

By the way, what happens if two things have the same number? (like two downloaded NPCs for example). I'm assuming they'll conflict and just straight up not work? Or does it depend on what objects the numbers are assigned to are?

They will either have issues where some properties of one actor go into another, or they will not appear. I have never experienced the latter.

It doesn't matter what objects they are - if their editor numbers conflict, at most one of them would work properly, and the other ones would be probably just replaced by the working one. Or maybe the engine would refuse to start the game altogether, I'm not sure. Either way, if there was a collision of editor numbers between any actors, you would get a warning about it in the engine's startup log.