Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Mayhem '16: Juneheim [Map compilation updated October 1st]

I think that the monster count is the one at the start of the level, so eventual lost souls from pain elementals or enemies resurrected from archviles do not count.

I think you misread Saint. "Standard" Lost Souls, as in Lost Souls that have not been summoned by a Pain Elemental seem to not be counted by the automap either, hence the confusion.

Ok.

I use zdoom for general testing and layout of the map in progress, while I leave prboom for the final tests. In zdoom I think they are counted.

Indeed , ZDoom does count lost souls.

I personally test the other way round. I feel you should always test on the intended source port(s) first, then switch to other compatible ones later.

Failing this, you may be unfortunate enough to find your map plays horribly / is broken etc. In a map now long-forgotten, I had set up a ledge that had some monsters below it. The player was supposed to drop off the ledge, over the monsters and be ambushed as they enter the arena that way. I tested in ZDoom the whole time. I was later told by another person who played it in PrBoom+ that the map wasn't really beatable because of infinitely tall actors, which caused the ledge to be impassible. (Outside of hoping the monsters moved out of the way...)

There are numerous engine quirks that could make a map less pleasant, which is why you should test in the correct port to ensure the best outcome! :)

It just so happens that this way around testing in the correct port leads to the project's limitation being overlooked.

Dragonfly said:

Then look bottom left or at the automap and see the count '140/140'. I don't fancy sitting in doom builder counting the monsters by hand, especially since difficulties have been implemented. Easy mistake to make but equally easy to fix.

Then use the TNTEM cheat code and you'll see the correct amount, it's not too hard.

joe-ilya said:

Then use the TNTEM cheat code and you'll see the correct amount, it's not too hard.

It looks like TNTEM counts the killing of the lost souls from PEs. I replaced the PEs with cacos, then did TNTEM, and it killed 140.

Just open it with Zdoom, turn on the display monster count and hit tab. (I'm assuming your automap key is still tab and you're not some godless heathen who has bound it to something else.) What that number says is the number of starting monsters.

The simplest way would just be to setup a filter in GZDB that only shows monsters in thing mode.

I mean, it's not like I have filter for every thing type or anything...

Benjogami said:

It looks like TNTEM counts the killing of the lost souls from PEs. I replaced the PEs with cacos, then did TNTEM, and it killed 140.

Looks like MAP27 is the only map that exceeds the limit by 2 enemies, it also has many missing textures.

joe-ilya said:

With all due respect Joe your sarcasm was totally unnecessary. I already said I'll fix my map to follow the project's guidelines, so you can leave it there. Thanks.

Spoiler

I get it, you're salty. You're doing your best to inconvenience me after I called you up in the ultimatum thread for not following the rules.

Dragonfly said:

Indeed , ZDoom does count lost souls.

I personally test the other way round. I feel you should always test on the intended source port(s) first, then switch to other compatible ones later.

Failing this, you may be unfortunate enough to find your map plays horribly / is broken etc. In a map now long-forgotten, I had set up a ledge that had some monsters below it. The player was supposed to drop off the ledge, over the monsters and be ambushed as they enter the arena that way. I tested in ZDoom the whole time. I was later told by another person who played it in PrBoom+ that the map wasn't really beatable because of infinitely tall actors, which caused the ledge to be impassible. (Outside of hoping the monsters moved out of the way...)

There are numerous engine quirks that could make a map less pleasant, which is why you should test in the correct port to ensure the best outcome! :)

It just so happens that this way around testing in the correct port leads to the project's limitation being overlooked.

I know, but I still feel that for design, monster placement, etc... zdoom console commands like "fly" "notarget" etc... are really really useful.

Angry Saint said:

zdoom console commands like "fly" "notarget" etc... are really really useful.

fwiw prb+ has both of these. no console, but you can just type "notarget" and "fly" to toggle them.

Pinchy's darkvault map ended up in the same slot as another so it is inaccesible. Did anyone try the compiled map wad and find any problems to fix before I make another upload? I know Tarnsman streamed it.

Part 1
Part 2

I know I haven't signed up for this project but I made a map that was originally for the 160 things limitation but during development it became bigger so I wanted to ask if there are still MAPSLOT x10 available for submission? It could probably work with 160 things but I think it could be even better with a larger number of monsters and decorates.

Ok, 4 days later after my self imposed deadline, my map is finally ready!

Name: Galactic Decay
Music: Destruct - James Paddock
Type: Monsters X10

Note that this map uses a sky not included in the texture wad, so I added the PatchX and TextureX lumps for it to work.

GammaJuneheim

No screens since I'm on a really slow connection, will post them when I get back home.

Uni said:

I know I haven't signed up for this project but I made a map that was originally for the 160 things limitation but during development it became bigger so I wanted to ask if there are still MAPSLOT x10 available for submission? It could probably work with 160 things but I think it could be even better with a larger number of monsters and decorates.

You're VERY late but since I'm curious I may allow you to pick an unclaimed late slot, provded you PM me what progress you have so I can judge for myself.

In general news, I'm extending the project deadline another week. Dealing with some serious shit IRL and Doom is absolutely not at the top of my priorities right now, and I want to make sure that this has as few problems as possible when we ship it.

Marcaek said:

In general news, I'm extending the project deadline another week. Dealing with some serious shit IRL

Fair enough, hope all is resolved your end asap. I won't say no to the week extension, need to eventually get round to fixing up the map heh.

Still looking for some feedback on my two submissions from Great Comrade Leader Maocaek and friends. I got some good feedback from Alfonzo on my first map and from Tarnsman on his stream on the second map (I missed the first part ;( ), but I just want to get the maps ironed out since it shouldn't take that long to do so.

So, I don't think I'll be getting MAP05 done anytime soon. If anyone wants to pick up the slot, you're more than welcome to.

Sorry :x

Angry Saint: A very nice map. Only complaint is the music: if anyone wants to use Quake OST tracks please just include the OGG or whatever, instead of including a cheesy midi euqivalent. Stuck chainers near the exit.

Joe: I would ordinarily rip into you for making a map without clearing it with me first but I actually kind of like this one. More than your other map even.

Benjogami: My first playthrough of an older version yielded no complaints although I didn't get to explore the far side of the cavern. I definitely prefer the city sky although it doesnt tile :/ Could you attempt working around that somehow? It's not critical though, I'll let you know more when I finsh.

Marcaek said:

Joe: I would ordinarily rip into you for making a map without clearing it with me first but I actually kind of like this one. More than your other map even.

What's that you didn't like that much about my other map? Was it the dwango atmosphere or the fact that it's too big for such a small limitation of monsters?
Just wanna keep your opinion in mind in my future maps.