Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Mayhem '16: Juneheim [Map compilation updated October 1st]

I have not been able to figure out the Bad texture Directory error, does anyone know what causes it?

Open the map in ZDoom if you can and screenshot the console (press ~ and type screenshot)

You could send me the map as well, I'll make another update asap.

Image with the 1st iteration of the resource pack (taken in GZDoom):-

The same environment with the new resource pack:

...and for the sake of showing off my work, my map from above in the editor 3D mode. The south/southeastern sides of the screenshot are unfinished / not started yet.

Looks like the Malice resources got affected again? :/ I'll upload a fix in a few minutes.

EDIT made some changes but i'm still not sure what's going on there so i'll hold off on uploading until it's sorted.

Oh man now you rebroke the broken textures that I fixed manually after the last update. ;)

It's okay it was just 2 doors, I'll fix them again. :P

Why have QPORTAL textures been removed? I used them for skies and portals. Also some other skies were removed as well. Is there a chance you'll put them back in?

Change of plans, looks like I won't be able to participate. I've done enough q1tex stuff in the past though I suppose, so you will pardon me my absence this time, won't you?

Slot 13 is free for anyone willing to claim it.

Testing my level in PrBoom+ made me realise that there's quite a few Quake textures with non power of 2 widths which mess up.

Welp I have something playable from start to finish on UV:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/shis4xe0cztdh8x/mayhem2016_map14v2.wad?dl=0

I had a couple specific goals that I'd like feedback on:

- I tried to make more and better secrets than I usually do
- I tried to make ammo and health very tight to encourage exploration, but still be workable if you don't find secrets.

Also I'm at a bit of a loss as how to beautify the outdoor area without just adding lots more vertices and sectors. I tried mixing some rock textures but I didn't like it.

I might have gone a bit ham on difficulty for a map14; not sure what's expected for the difficulty curve of the whole wad. ;)

Edit: made quick fix for some messed up sector and line effects. New link above.

Marcaek said:

I have not been able to figure out the Bad texture Directory error, does anyone know what causes it?

I took a gander through the TEXTURE1 lump: Texture YARROW does not have any patches in it. Deleting this texture fixes the problem.

Urthar said:

FDA for MAP14: http://www.mediafire.com/download/z2qzr5riz2ttzfb/MayhemMap14.lmp

Even on HMP I didn't get very far. What I managed to see of the progression seemed perfectly readable though.

Cool, thanks for the FDA. Noticed a few things I'd like to tune. Right now, any difficulty selection will get you an experience that's intended to be UV, so that wasn't really HMP. :)

Some feedback for map14.

Cliffside bases are cool. This one feels a little ham-fisted in the way it goes about its gameplay through set piece encounters, and I can't say I had much fun playing it. The combination of space provided and monsters being crammed into sudden reveals meant that most of my time was spent either back-pedalling to a safe point to clean house or running around in circles - as much as could be made on a narrow cliff face - trying to stir up an infighting storm. On the whole, it feels like you were trying to do too much within too small a playing area, and the end result is something that feels more like a series of blockades than a level with depth to its playing experience. There's some positives, though! Scaling the mountain at the end of the level feels a bit sketchy, but how it functions before the player reaches it is cool in concept; I'd try to work the shape of some of the earlier parts of the level to allow for more climbing and projectile dodging from offshore sources like this. As it stands, the linear shape of the cliff face and the fact that you can back up into cleaned-out areas means that everything comes front-on. It's a bit tedious, as a result.

Visually the map needs work, as well. The interiors have some cool texture combos and look okay without being particularly moody or evocative. The outdoors, though... you might want to find something beyond mere geometry to break up all that flat-looking rock. Some bolder texture contrasts and shadowcasting wouldn't go amiss!

Is there a reason the pillars surrounding the blood sea teleports rise up after the player returns with the BK? I dropped down to collect the secret megasphere but bled to death in the drink.

Alfonzo said:

Some feedback for map14.

[...]

The 2 original teleporters get blocked because you could use them to cheese the backtrack fight to the blue switch. A third teleporter opens near the island that takes you back to the building lobby instead.

Maybe having the option of teleporting back to the start would make that fight better though. :P As it is, it can end up in a logjam of revived monsters if you take your time.

I'll definitely play around with adding a second way back to the blue switch, and something to open up the first 2 encounters more.

Thanks for the feedback!

Hmmm feeling torn. We're about a third of the way through the month but I don't think I'm a third of the way through this map. I like what I've made thus far, but I dunno if I wanna rush myself to make the rest of it... will keep plugging away at the hopes that it comes together

@dobu - Keep at it, I'm sure you'll get there! You may have a moment where you're just 'in the zone' and map loads in a short session. :)

Regarding the Bad Texture directory, this warning is present in GZDoomBuilder:

Some map08 foodbaque!

I like this map. Lots of funky shapes and a smart reuse of space in the main area, with plenty of flow and an intuitive progression. The central hub feels like an evolved deathmatch map, for a few of its details; it would make me wonder, if the rules of the project didn't demand an entirely new creation. Some points of interest (I guess I'll stick to bullet points, now!):

• The start is a bit dicey what with the chaingunners and the lack of armor. I'd probably chuck in a few cheeky barrels for a couple of the encounters so that the player isn't forced to chow down on lead when he sprints forward for weapons and health. The opening 30 seconds turned out to be the most difficult part of the map because of this setup, even with my health hovering around the ~50 mark up until the end of the level - the map is quite sparsely populated.
  • The revenants and mancs at the BK trap are cool, but they were blocked from exiting the "closet", and I found that I could stand back and have them infight because of their naturally lining up along the blocking line in an effort to get to me.
  • I'd like to see a way back to the highest walkway from sector [23]. Don't want to have to drop down and run around again, even if it is just a 5 second trip.
  • This may be too particular a request, but I always try to restrict the expanding scenery away from the map so that the automap isn't reduced to a blip when you open it up: would you be able to shrink it back a bit? Automap cleanup is a task-and-a-half so I wouldn't request that of you, but this seems like an easy fix.
The map looks the part, too. No immediate quibbles there! Well played (read: mapped).

a 30-mob wip. 20% revenants by weight, and an obsessive amount of atan(0.5)° angles: