• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marcaek

Mayhem '16: Juneheim [Map compilation updated October 1st]

map14v8

Map name: Blood from a Stone
Map slot: 14

v8: I made some stuff look better, hid lines, and transferred a sky.

v7: Implements all skill levels, and coop. There were some changes to UV as well.

[removed outdated screens]

Ribbiks said:

so yeah, here's another version: maria v02

and for fun, here's a uv-max: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wcpncagwo2on6gu/mariav02_uvmax_rbk.lmp

featuring:
- punching!
- necessary cheese
- more punching.
- award-winning baron placement

Yeah all the barons in this map are excellently trolly for a UV-Max run. The first one in particular, which can infinitely tall you. The entrance hallway to the exit lift would be the perfect spot for another baron.

The intended strategy for the YK fight is somewhat anticlimactic I guess.

rdwpa said:

The intended strategy for the YK fight is somewhat anticlimactic I guess.

no such thing as "intended". I wasn't joking when I said I did no playtesting for this map, that's just the strat I figured out while trying to record that demo and dying 500 times :p. It has me somewhat inclined to move the trigger that opens the cheese-stair hallway though..

I'm finally done with my map! I have implemented difficulty settings, tested all modes (except coop, heh) and ensured I adhere to the limitation.
Midi music is based on Quad Machine from Quake 2, 'midified' by Jay Reichard. Source: vgmusic.com.

Download map27 here! The map uses the resource wad in the first post. I'd like to call this map "Grievance", feel free to chip in your thoughts on that name.

I'd love to receive feedback on this map - Bonus points if you can supply a demo lmp of your experience. Screenshots below.

Spoiler

Dragonfly said:

Download map27 here!

Looks like you zipped up a whoooole lot more than you needed to ;) Filesize came out to like 50MB almost.

Well fuck. I accidentally provided a link to the whole folder which has a couple of copies of the resource wad as well as Remmirath's map.

Here's an updated link. I've edited my previous post. If you could please unlink the text in your post so people don't download the wrong crap I'd be grateful! :)

Downloadmyshithere.

Dragonfly said:

Here's an updated link. I've edited my previous post. If you could please unlink the text in your post so people don't download the wrong crap I'd be grateful! :)

Downloadmyshithere.

Unlinked! And here's an FDA. I enjoyed it! I did very poorly on the last fight. I don't think it's hard as I made it look. Or it's deceptively hard. ;) Certainly a lot easier if you don't want to kill everything, and run from cover to cover. But it was a lot of fun.

Some bugs:

- Switch behind the red switch is misaglined
- Missing texture near the plasma rifle
- Missing textures by the "secret" megasphere on the hill in the last area (was it actually marked as secret? I feel like it wasn't. It feels pretty secrety though.)
- Back-to-back secret notifications for the megasphere by the green armor

Dragonfly said:

Here's an updated link.

Was waiting to get my hands on this—pretty dope level. I think the general boxiness almost gives it a 1024 vibe, but I like how you reused the central room to ferry the player from location to location. I think the fighting at the beginning was okay, but it got better as the map went on—the final battle in particular is a hell of a lot of fun, giving you a ton of space to move around but requiring you to snipe the AVs before too many are out on the field. Couple things:

- Noted 272 enemies at the start (playing in Zdoom)

- Quake 2 midi doesn't really fit the map IMO... it's too short and peppy of a loop to fit this gloomy cell.

- This switch here is reaaaalllly unnecessary. If anything, it just serves to obscure the SSG's location, which is kinda necessary when you're fighting the dual barons (I think swapping one of those barons for a PE would be better [the other nearby PE could be a caco]). A better place for the SSG would be at the top of the lift cubby with the 3 rockets and medikit.

- Likewise, the blue key being right next to the blue key door is utterly pointless. Put the RL in there instead... maybe make walking over it trigger the blue key door opening.

- When you reveal the archvile here, make the entire closet lift up. That way the player can only use the SUPPORT3 beam for cover, which is a lot more fun.

- At the battle with the nobles and cyberdemon, remove the sector in front of the red flag to make it harder for the player to camp there (ideally you want the cyber to fire on the entire area the player can move around in).

- You should probably use a floor transfer on this floor (and the blood one nearby) to make it so it's not bumpy in PrBoom.

Good work!

Benjogami said:

I enjoyed it!

Glad you had fun! I've watched the demo and I think it desyncs during the final fight - you seem to save facing a Cyberdemon while you're dead and then proceed to reload a couple of times? I stopped at that point.

It was interesting to see how some particular parts of the map puzzled you more than I would have expected - I'm glad in some ways!

As for the bugs, I will post a new WAD with bugfixes when I get more feedback.

- Your comment about the misaligned switch I couldn't see, could you screenshot it please?

- Your comment about the double-secret: That's on purpose. One if the Rocket launcher (obtainable before the first baron fight), the second for the megaspehere.

- Your comment about the non-tagged secret megasphere - it is tagged, not sure if you didn't realise it was tagged due to the fighting? :P

Thank you again for the demo, was fun to watch!

dobu gabu maru said:

Was waiting to get my hands on this—pretty dope level.

- Noted 272 enemies

- Quake 2 midi doesn't really fit

- This switch here is reaaaalllly unnecessary. (+ more)

- Likewise, the blue key [...] is utterly pointless.

- When you reveal the archvile, make the entire closet lift up.

- At the battle with the nobles and cyberdemon, remove the sector in front of the red flag.

Good work!

Glad you enjoyed it, and I'm pleased to hear you were excited for it to come out! :)

Your comments are all very good. I may choose not to make some of the changes but most are certainly relevant. I have some comments about your comments below ^^

I checked the enemy count in GlBoom+ and I'm seeing 270 on HNTR, HMP and UV. I'll have to investigate I guess, but my guess is the first PE may have caused the discrepancy?

I somewhat agree about the midi. I felt it fit until the level got as large as it did. I may change, consider it 50/50 at this point if I will or not.

The unnecessary switch as you say is something I like. I prefer to reward a little bit of exploration and intentionally put a spectre in there so the sound draws you to the SSG. If more peopel complain then I'll consider a change.

I do agree about the blue key but after watching Ben's demo I enjoyed how ready he was for a trap only to be let down. I probably enjoyed that a bit too much, heh. Again, if this comment is repeated I'll place more consideration to the idea. :)

The AV idea is brilliant! - I think I'll do that in v2.

The battle with the cyber + nobles - I''m not sure I follow entirely what sector I should remove. Please screenshot it. :)

Thank you for taking the time to play my map, I'm glad you enjoyed it (and I'm glad I met the deadline!)

Dragonfly said:

I've watched the demo and I think it desyncs during the final fight - you seem to save facing a Cyberdemon while you're dead and then proceed to reload a couple of times? I stopped at that point.

[...]

- Your comment about the misaligned switch I couldn't see, could you screenshot it please?

I started the demo with the wad in the zip, and finished it with the wad you posted later. I assumed they'd be the same but I suspect that's the cause of both of these things. :P Because now when I look at the switch, it looks good.

Hi Dragonfly. I liked the screens of your map so I made you a demo. I got almost all of the kills. Primarily was interested in secrets however.

Played with prboom+ 2.5.1.4 with the fps cap on.

Here is the link: demo

I noticed that if I block spawns of enemies, such as the hellknights in the plasma room they never spawned back in. I dunno if this is supposed to happen but I wanted to let you know about it.

I didn't find any bugs. Ammo seems fine too. =)

Some good progress on my 160 Things submission. Pretty much near done; just some finishing touches to make and testing. After that is pretty much any revisions needed.

Here are some screens in OpenGL:

Spoiler

Zakurum said:

Some good progress on my 160 Things submission. Pretty much near done; just some finishing touches to make and testing. After that is pretty much any revisions needed.

Here are some screens in OpenGL:

Looks great, nice architecture and very unique some ways. Also love the Fatsos, Revenants and Vile.

Hope anybody noticed my updated map?

Heh. Hope you like dying. Here's a link to MAP31: "In Death, Is Life" (is in MAP31 slot!!!)

No difficulty levels, or multiplayer things (except starts) added yet. Requires most recent version of resource in first post.

Nearly there. Just needs balancing and probably some prettification in the texturing department. Further screenshots soon.

Rayzik, here's a demo.

Either the waiting time for the next sequence is insanely long, or I didn't notice what I'm supposed to do next? Please advise. :P

Visually the map is stunning. Very oppressive and intimidating!

You need to use "-complevel 09" so that the scrolling floors work properly. :P

Although I am entirely unsure as to why they don't work right in default compatibility.

I'll give it another go when I have time (over a week away, about to go to bed and then on holiday ('vacation') tomorrow, returning on Friday. Should this project be for 'default settings' by the way?

That's a good question. I would assume it is, although I kind of recall it being stated as Boom compatible somewhere in the thread at some point.

Anyways, here's and FDA (About 20 minutes, 1 death early on, -complevel 09) for your map Dragonfly! Honestly I can't come up with much criticism that hasn't been given already, but I will say you did a much better job with the resource than I did in my map. I would say that there's a lot of extra ammo, but then again, I played really cheesy and instigated a lot of infighting and such. And I wouldn't say too much ammo is a bad thing, it allows more aggressive play and for less skilled players the ability to use more ammo if they are inaccurate or inefficient.

Name: Affinity
Music Used: "Osmose" by me (commissioned by KingDime) - temporary placeholder probably
Status: Beta - very flimsy texture choices, difficulties could probably be better balanced
Concept: 160 things - there should be precisely 166 things on each skill level, those 6 extra being four player starts and two voodoo dolls.

An update on my existing map, and an upload of my 160 things map.

Still uncertain about what music selections should go with the maps.

Vaalbara Reborn Version 2
I followed some of the suggestions from Alfonzo and added some barrels near the chaingunners, allowed accessibility back up to the main upper path, and allowed some monsters to cross a boundary which was previously impassible to the monsters due to a sector issue.

Download for Vaalbara Reborn V2: DEAD LINK - See latest post.

Kepler Communications
I decided to have some fun with the 160 things concept and make a map that emphasizes the Rocket Launcher and the Plasma Gun; Shells are scarce and only appear in beginning, so regardless of pistol start it's better to go with Cells and Rockets. Probably going to need some difficulty balancing for Hurt Me Plenty and lower since I made this map mainly with UV in mind; double-checked and it should have 160 things in each difficulty (excluding player starts and the DooM Builder Camera). Multiplayer adds a bit extra to balance it, but not much to stay close to the 160 things concept.

Download for Kepler Communications: DEAD LINK - See latest post.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

I guess Ill throw something in the mix soon.

I'll get the map done ASAP but extra polishing may be done by someone else as I don't know how much time i'll have in July to polish it up

Hi guys, as i aftermentioned some post ago i want to do a collab map with whoever is interested, i've just finished now layout and adding a pair of vital things to the map (player starts -no dm- and keys), the style is 160 things map.

For the other guy who wants to work on this, be my guest and do whatever you want with this thing.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8clsoio3dto2dfl/juvenille.wad

Music: Worst Kind by midimachine (https://soundcloud.com/midimachine/trap-dot-mid)
Build time: some days
Use the newer texture packs (yeah, i've used both).

Newsflash; my shitty laptop decided to fry out, been about over week and half without it. Thankfully, whatever was in the HD is still workable. However, I don't think I can make it to deadline...