Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
snapshot

Agony : a First-person game about escaping Hell

Not sure about the comparison with Doom, except that it has Hell and it's first person. Prototype footage looks sort-of like Amnesia:

Intriguing at any rate, thanks for sharing.

Saw this just yesterday, loving the art style. I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Looks interesting, but till I see some actual gameplay footage I can't guarantee I will buy it.

Yeah, I also saw it yesterday on some site.

Ok, so let me say that "a first-person survival horror about escaping from Hell" is kind of a dream game concept for me. I've been looking forward to something that would explore the idea of Hell in a non-action way (and first person) for maaany years. The screenshots look sick, I dig the premise... but everything I've seen so far in terms of 'gameplay' looks like crap. I'm not too thrilled by the extremely small team of 9 devs, too. We'll see how it turns out but I'll keep my eye on it.

Also, first Hatred, now Agony - I can see a patern here. :) Somehow I'm not surprised a game with such thematics comes from Poland where Death/Black Metal scene is so prominent.

I don't understand the trailer, but I love the art direction.

Coincidently, STRAFE is also set to release in 2017.

I like the mixing of Boschian grotesque hell props and scenes with utterly shameless abuse of UE4's glowy colourful effects, it looks unique and stylish. However this sort of gameplay does nothing for me. Hiding from tough enemies is fine, but all the Amnesias and Alien Isolations are so one-key. Get spooked, flee, hit action to save your ass, wait in your hideout hoping you picked the correct one. I'd rather play Thief on Expert again, devs!

From the prototype gameplay it looks like there will be some kind of powerups which you're going to find arround the levels, And maybe even keys .

I don't want to judge yet because all we've got right now are prototype gameplay videos. But if anything, the gameplay puts me off. The world itself makes me like "I want to explore that!" but that sluggish, cinematic trudging through it doesn't look like a whole lot of fun. Hopefully the actual gameplay trailer will be better than that. I'm not really interested in 'Amnesia in Hell'.

I've always wanted a game set in hell that really showed the whole "ultimate evil and agony" type thing. Dimension of punishment and all that.

Touchdown said:

Somehow I'm not surprised a game with such thematics comes from Poland where Death/Black Metal scene is so prominent.

Zdzislaw Beksinski's art might have something to do with this as well. It's quite evocative of his work.

Well, that was some impressively bad animation in that trailer. Worthy of mid nineties cut scenes.

Kira said:

Zdzislaw Beksinski's art might have something to do with this as well. It's quite evocative of his work.

Oh yeah, his stuff is very inspirational. I hope they have also captured the weirdness factor that we need more of in video games.

BluePineapple72 said:

I'm going to guess there is a plot twist ending to this game (much like most horror games)

Spoiler

you are the demons

Not much of a twist considering you are quite literally possessing demons to survive.

BluePineapple72 said:

I'm going to guess there is a plot twist ending to this game (much like most horror games)

Spoiler

you are the demons

You play as a Soul (i suppose) .

.... Why even bother calling it a FPS if there's no guns and you can't do shit? It's like Amnesia and Alien: Isolation!

OOOOOOOH IT'S SO SCARY THAT I HAVE TO RUN AWAY!

NEVER MIND THE PERFECTLY TENSE ATMOSPHERE AND SCARINESS THAT THE MONSTERS HAVE!

It's like if you give players weapons and ammo somehow that detracts from the scare factor lol.

If that's the case, then how come so many people get scared of PSX Doom and Doom 64 lol?

Just saying. :P

DoomzRules said:

.... Why even bother calling it a FPS if there's no guns and you can't do shit?

Nobody calls it an FPS except DMGUYDZ64 who didn't bother checking facts before posting.

DoomzRules said:

It's like if you give players weapons and ammo somehow that detracts from the scare factor lol.

Well... yes. That's the big thing that made Amnesia popular in the first place, that you can't just shoot a monster in the face. A gun in the hand gives comfort because you know you can fight back.

Touchdown said:

Nobody calls it an FPS except DMGUYDZ64 who didn't bother checking facts before posting.

No i didn't, the site did, i just copied it .

It may not be a shooter, But it's first-person .
Also i think i saw the player shooting some glowy stuff .

A mistake not meant is still a mistake having been made.

Either way, this seems to be yet another linear Amnesia-like horror game, only here you're actually allowed to look at the monsters without going crazy and dying because they're just too spooky or something.

the glowy stuff was to help you find your next path/route. There may be some items like a light source, puzzle pieces, or protective items I suppose